Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 137 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Interesting that when I pulled my 3806 out it appears to be heavier than the 4520.

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
I talked to Denon Tech Support and they said it has to be a cable problem... Maybe a HDMI amplifier would solve the problem. I decided to give it a try and headed over to Frys to pick up a 16' HDMI cable. Well guess what I plugged in the new HDMI cable and all is well now! So since I was on a roll I also tried a new cable for my PS3 and it also works fine. I guess over the last year my HDMI cable must have been right on the edge of completing handshakes. The Denon Tech said the 4520 requires at least a 1.4 HDMI cable and that since my Epson 1080 was old it might be a 1.2 or so, which could also be causing the problem. It sure is nice to be able to watch my cable box and PS3 straight through with HDMI and not component! :D

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
wonder iF all 2012 models require 1.4 HDMI??
Truth be told there is not any difference between a so called "normal" HDMI cable and one that is rated for 1.4. Its mostly about the build quality of the cable and nothing more. That does not mean that an expensive cable from Monster is any better than one from Monoprice, the only difference is the price :)

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Truth be told there is not any difference between a so called "normal" HDMI cable and one that is rated for 1.4. Its mostly about the build quality of the cable and nothing more. That does not mean that an expensive cable from Monster is any better than one from Monoprice, the only difference is the price :)
Monster who...

I am ordering some new HDMI cables from Monoprice... Any reason to buy the Redmere?

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
I talked to Denon Tech Support and they said it has to be a cable problem... Maybe a HDMI amplifier would solve the problem. I decided to give it a try and headed over to Frys to pick up a 16' HDMI cable. Well guess what I plugged in the new HDMI cable and all is well now! So since I was on a roll I also tried a new cable for my PS3 and it also works fine. I guess over the last year my HDMI cable must have been right on the edge of completing handshakes. The Denon Tech said the 4520 requires at least a 1.4 HDMI cable and that since my Epson 1080 was old it might be a 1.2 or so, which could also be causing the problem. It sure is nice to be able to watch my cable box and PS3 straight through with HDMI and not component! :D
My problem came back with my Epson so I am going to try some new Monoprice cables and if that doesn't solve it I will just take the HDMI monitor out cable and plug it into my HTPC whenever I want ot use the PC... A small inconvenience until I can afford a new projector. My run to the PC from the Epson is 15' (up and around a doorway).

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Monster who...

I am ordering some new HDMI cables from Monoprice... Any reason to buy the Redmere?
I have no real experience with using them so I cant comment but I hear some people have had good success with them. I run a 35' regular HDMI cable and have no issues.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
I also run a 35 foot hdmi 1.4 cable from my Receiver out to my projector. No problems here.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Monster who...

My problem came back with my Epson so I am going to try some new Monoprice cables and if that doesn't solve it I will just take the HDMI monitor out cable and plug it into my HTPC whenever I want ot use the PC... A small inconvenience until I can afford a new projector. My run to the PC from the Epson is 15' (up and around a doorway).
I've been buying Monoprice for about 3 years now. My most recent HDMI cables for the new house and new setup were:

30ft 22AWG CL2 Standard HDMI® Cable - For the run from the AV shelf to the projector through the ceiling.

3ft 28AWG High Speed HDMI® Cable With Ethernet - Between the components on the AV Shelf.

They both worked fine but the 22AWG are really stiff. Where they come out of the ceiling and do a 90 to plug into the projector is very tight on my 6020 because it’s got that back cover but I didn't want to spend the money on the thinner more pliable ones.

The 3' ones are perfect. No complaints, glad I bought those over the standard ones but they both do the same job.

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
I just ordered...
(1) 15ft Slim Series High Speed HDMI® Cable w/ RedMere® Technology
(4) 6ft Slim Series High Speed HDMI® Cable w/ RedMere® Technology

I am having them overnighted... Couldn't resist for $5.85 shipping

·
Registered
75 Posts
The SBS-02s showed up on Friday and I wasted no time putting them up. They came well boxed and were bigger than I expected.

Unfortunately right out of the box I had to do some surgery. While up on my ladder mounting the front heights the binding post keep turning and I couldn’t figure out what was wrong. Turns out the little nut on the inside was loose so I had to open it up to fix it.

I’ve got them mounted flush right now since my mounts didn’t arrive. I grabbed some Omnimount 20s so that I can aim the surrounds at the listening positions better.

Once I got everything mounted I ran Audyssey and listen to some music and watched a few shows. I was very happy with the sound out of the SBS-02s, they seem to blend in nice with everything else I have. I’m pretty sure the Denon 4520 helps with that. Here is what it set.

Here is how everything looks now. The wires will be cleaned up later and speakers will be aimed down more.

I'm very impressed with this amp. The sound is great and it's been very easy to setup. I'm not sure what else you would be looking for in an amp besides a different sound. I did turn it up on some movies and music to 3db or 4db and it sounded fantastic. I actually had to remind tell myself to turn it down since I seemed to be getting use to it. Usually with family home or guests over we are using it at -18db or maybe -10db for a action movie.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Their mounting position reminds me of Yahama's recommended "Front Effect Speakers". I see you have a Denon, why are the bookshelf speakers mounted up front above the mains?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
It's what I had many years ago... front high and wide in the corners. Yamaha had it figured out and it sounded so much better than just two speakers. It does not surprise me to see it coming back in the newer receivers, especially now since they have much better DSP's to work with.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Their mounting position reminds me of Yahama's recommended "Front Effect Speakers". I see you have a Denon, why are the bookshelf speakers mounted up front above the mains?
The 4520 has an option for front height or front wide channels in addition to your standard 7.1 using new processing technology. Since its got 9 amps in it I felt like trying it out. I feel like it raises the soundstage although the voices are still coming from lower center. Now all we need is some actual discrete 9.1 movies to justify it. Still, I like it, I had fun doing it, the speakers only cost me $150 and most people are suitable impressed with 5 speakers up front. Lets face it, 90% of the population has no idea what's going on your AV rack.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The 4520 has an option for front height or front wide channels in addition to your standard 7.1 using new processing technology. Since its got 9 amps in it I felt like trying it out. I feel like it raises the soundstage although the voices are still coming from lower center. Now all we need is some actual discrete 9.1 movies to justify it. Still, I like it, I had fun doing it, the speakers only cost me $150 and most people are suitable impressed with 5 speakers up front. Lets face it, 90% of the population has no idea what's going on your AV rack.

You need a top center speaker, Bi-wire two 8ohm centers (w/banana plugs) in Parallel for a 4ohm load.

All of those speakers you have remind me of that prototype format they were testing with NHK in japan which involved something like 40 speakers for surround, both high and low off the ground. I don't remember what they were calling it. And no its not Dolby Atmos.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Eventually I am going to add front height to my room, I already added front wide towers and it very noticeably filled in the front stage nicely, wrapping it around to the sides. When I add front heights what speakers should I amp, as the 4520 can do 9.2 but a amp is needed if going 11.2. And what amp should I get?

·
Registered
876 Posts
You could just run two 8ohm speakers off the same mono amp channel, your receiver should be able to handle a 4Ω speaker load.

OR

Use the receiver in combination with an Emotiva XPA3 connected to the pre-outs or a dedicated Denon amp to match the sound signature of your receiver.

Common Connection options:

• 5.1 Main Zone all channels bi-amplified
  • 5.1 Main Zone all channels bridged for up to 4x power to each channel
  • 5.1 Main Zone, Zone 2 and Zone 3 stereo, with Zone 4 mono
  • 7.1 Main Zone, Zone 2 stereo and Zone 3 mono
    [*]7.1 Main Zone with Front left, right and center speakers bi-amplified
  • 7.1 Main Zone with Front speakers bridged and Zone 2 mono
  • 9.1 Main Zone and Zone 2 Mono
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/amplifiers/denon-poa-a1hdci/pao-a1hdci-setup

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
I just picked up a pair of DSM tf700 speakers for $50... I am going to use them for height speakers above my Paradigm 80s. I know they should be floor mounted but the price was right and they are very shallow speakers. I will see how they work out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You need a top center speaker, Bi-wire two 8ohm centers (w/banana plugs) in Parallel for a 4ohm load.

I read somewhere that you should do front wide first, that it makes the biggest difference but my space just wouldn't allow it. The wides would be right in the middle of the room just waiting for my kids to knock over.

What would be great is a pair of Paradigm Studio 100s with a CC-690 for the FL, FR, and CC, then move the Monitor 9s to the FWL and FWR. Since I'm dreaming I could pick up that Emotiva XPA3 and use it to run the Studios and put my tiny CC-190 as a front height center running in parallel with the CC-690.

I wonder how that would sound running the same channel into 2 CC at the top and bottom of the screen... Would they blend well or would it be a mess. Considering how different the two centres are it might be a gong show. I wonder what Audyssey would do with that setup? Probably explode.

You could just run two 8ohm speakers off the same mono amp channel, your receiver should be able to handle a 4Ω speaker load.

OR

Use the receiver in combination with an Emotiva XPA3 connected to the pre-outs or a dedicated Denon amp to match the sound signature of your receiver.
That Denon amp is work of art. Love the retro mechanical gauges. I wonder if it's any good? It weighs 135lbs! I wonder how much my kidney is worth? I need those Studio 100s and that amp.

Found this guys setup:

Attachments

41 - 60 of 137 Posts