Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
I read somewhere that you should do front wide first, that it makes the biggest difference but my space just wouldn't allow it. The wides would be right in the middle of the room just waiting for my kids to knock over.

What would be great is a pair of Paradigm Studio 100s with a CC-690 for the FL, FR, and CC, then move the Monitor 9s to the FWL and FWR. Since I'm dreaming I could pick up that Emotiva XPA3 and use it to run the Studios and put my tiny CC-190 as a front height center running in parallel with the CC-690.

I wonder how that would sound running the same channel into 2 CC at the top and bottom of the screen... Would they blend well or would it be a mess. Considering how different the two centres are it might be a gong show. I wonder what Audyssey would do with that setup? Probably explode.

That Denon amp is work of art. Love the retro mechanical gauges. I wonder if it's any good? It weighs 135lbs! I wonder how much my kidney is worth? I need those Studio 100s and that amp.
Word on the street is that is a worthy contender for its price class and it would be best paired with Signature S8 ;):D.

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
I read somewhere that you should do front wide first, that it makes the biggest difference but my space just wouldn't allow it. The wides would be right in the middle of the room just waiting for my kids to knock over.

What would be great is a pair of Paradigm Studio 100s with a CC-690 for the FL, FR, and CC, then move the Monitor 9s to the FWL and FWR. Since I'm dreaming I could pick up that Emotiva XPA3 and use it to run the Studios and put my tiny CC-190 as a front height center running in parallel with the CC-690.

I wonder how that would sound running the same channel into 2 CC at the top and bottom of the screen... Would they blend well or would it be a mess. Considering how different the two centres are it might be a gong show. I wonder what Audyssey would do with that setup? Probably explode.

That Denon amp is work of art. Love the retro mechanical gauges. I wonder if it's any good? It weighs 135lbs! I wonder how much my kidney is worth? I need those Studio 100s and that amp.

Found this guys setup:
I ran 2 center speakers years ago (one above and one below the screen) and I loved the way it sounded... Of course they were identical centers though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Someone tell me this is a bad idea. I could get another CC-190 for pretty cheap. If I dropped the screen down a few inches the 2nd CC would probably fit above it and I wouldn't even have to run a new wire to the amp, just one behind the screen. Would it mess with the amp running 4ohms for the CC and 8ohms everywhere else? I'm trying to think about why this wouldn't work or sound bad but I'm not coming up with anything. Then again I don't really know that much to begin with.

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
Someone tell me this is a bad idea. I could get another CC-190 for pretty cheap. If I dropped the screen down a few inches the 2nd CC would probably fit above it and I wouldn't even have to run a new wire to the amp, just one behind the screen. Would it mess with the amp running 4ohms for the CC and 8ohms everywhere else? I'm trying to think about why this wouldn't work or sound bad but I'm not coming up with anything. Then again I don't really know that much to begin with.
I never had a problem when I did it in the past... When you are playing music across all your speakers the impedance varies by the load and frequency afaik. Since the 4520 will handle a 4 ohm load you should be ok.

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
Question:

I have a WDTV arriving today and was wondering... Do I hook it up to the Media Server input? I was looking at the manual and it didn't say it was compatible with mkv files. The WDTV is compatible with mkv files... Will this effect the Media Server input? Since I have not used it I was thinking maybe there is something special about the Media Server input compared to the other inputs... ie maybe it displays a menu or something.

I also moved from 5.1 to 7.1 yesterday. :) I decided to take the Paradigm rear speakers and move them up to the side surrounds and take my DCM tf700 speakers (best $50 I have spent in a long time) and put them in the rear corners of the room. All I can say is I have never heard it sound so good! I am going to take some outdoor speakers that I have laying around and make them my height channels until I can afford some Studio 20s for the heights and width channels.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
No, just connect it using the HDMI output. The WDTV has its own built in menu. I have two of these running in my house and they work great.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
......my DCM tf700 speakers (best $50 I have spent in a long time) and put them in the rear corners of the room. All I can say is I have never heard it sound so good!
Ideally you want those to be placed about 4ft apart on the rear wall not in the corners.

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
Ideally you want those to be placed about 4ft apart on the rear wall not in the corners.
I know but it is in our living room and our seating is against the walls... When I get to building the theater in the garage I will have more room and will do the placement correctly. Currently they are in the location my Dipoles were in. It sounds awesome. I don't know what part of the changes did it but I def like the sound.

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
No, just connect it using the HDMI output. The WDTV has its own built in menu. I have two of these running in my house and they work great.
Thanks, I have heard nothing but good about them... I can't wait to get them installed. Is the Media Server input a special one or is it the same as all the other HDMI inputs?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Thanks, I have heard nothing but good about them... I can't wait to get them installed. Is the Media Server input a special one or is it the same as all the other HDMI inputs?
If your asking the input on the WDTV unit? its either Wi-Fi network connection or cat5e to the PC or you can just connect a 1 or 2 TB USB hard drive to it with all the media you have on it.

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
If your asking the input on the WDTV unit? its either Wi-Fi network connection or cat5e to the PC or you can just connect a 1 or 2 TB USB hard drive to it with all the media you have on it.
No, I meant the input labeled Media Server on the 4520... Is it just a standard HDMI input? In the manual it lists what can be played on it.

I will have to go checkout some cases that I can hookup my SATA 4TB hard drive to that are USB.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I dont think so, Its more designed to plug a hard drive directly to it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
No, I meant the input labeled Media Server on the 4520... Is it just a standard HDMI input? In the manual it lists what can be played on it.

I will have to go checkout some cases that I can hookup my SATA 4TB hard drive to that are USB.
Its the same as the other ones. Not sure why the bother labeling them anymore as you can just rename in the settings. Should just leave them as "1", "2", etc...

You've got the right idea with the USB enclosure as many people do that. Your other option is to go wireless or use a LAN cable and stream right from your computer to the WDTV to the Denon.

The Denon by itself will not play .mkv as far as I can tell from the manual. If you're looking to hook up that drive to the Denon you'll only be able to play what's listed on page 47 of the manual. If you hook the drive up to the WDTV you can play basically anything with a GUI that is far superior to what the Denon has.

So USB Drive to the WDTV then HDMI to Denon. Then you get to play around with the WDTV and set it up but that's well covered in other threads and forums.

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
Does anyone know of a Demo for 9.1 audio? It would be nice to have a demo video that shows what 9.1 is capable of.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
There is no "true" discreet 9.1 audio mix available. What happens is the receiver will matrix the extra 2 channels basically making an educated guess as to what should be sent to those two channels.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I love my 9.2 and can't wait to add for 11.2
Once you have it its hard to do without.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Does anyone know of a Demo for 9.1 audio? It would be nice to have a demo video that shows what 9.1 is capable of.
The best you can get is something like The Expendables 2 which apparently has been "optimized" for 11.1 audio, whatever that means.... As far as I know there isn't even an agreed upon format for delivering more than discrete 7.1 audio right now.

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
The best you can get is something like The Expendables 2 which apparently has been "optimized" for 11.1 audio, whatever that means.... As far as I know there isn't even an agreed upon format for delivering more than discrete 7.1 audio right now.
What a shame that there are no demo discs to show off all the channels.

·
Registered
117 Posts
hey guys. long time no talk. Im in the market for a Denon 4520 or Marantz 8801. Im wondering what you guys opinions are. Im seeing some issues with reliability on the 4520 over at the AVS forums. Just wondering if any of you guys have had repairs or returns etc..

thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
hey guys. long time no talk. Im in the market for a Denon 4520 or Marantz 8801. Im wondering what you guys opinions are. Im seeing some issues with reliability on the 4520 over at the AVS forums. Just wondering if any of you guys have had repairs or returns etc..

thanks
I have the 4520, and it is rock solid. I am also a frequent participant in the AVS 4520 thread. There are some recent complaints, but keep in mind that happy users don't usually post their happiness. Also note that several of the posters reporting issues purchased refurb units.

AFAIK, you currently own the 8801, and previously owned the 4520. You even stated that you heard no sonic difference between the two. What is the purpose of your post?

61 - 80 of 137 Posts