Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

81 - 100 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have the 4520, and it is rock solid. I am also a frequent participant in the AVS 4520 thread. There are some recent complaints, but keep in mind that happy users don't usually post their happiness. Also note that several of the posters reporting issues purchased refurb units.

AFAIK, you currently own the 8801, and previously owned the 4520. You even stated that you heard no sonic difference between the two. What is the purpose of your post?
I had to return my denon to vanns because of a blinking red light issue. I thought I would try my hand at the 8801 since audioholics gave me a deal on it.

And now the PURPOSE of my post is exactly what I stated and asked.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Actually, there are three official titles recorded in NEO:x 11.1: 'Step Up Revolution', 'Expendables 2', or 'Dredd'. (Great movies, no?)

Note that the rental versions only have 5.1 sound.
Those movies, as far as I know, don't actually have a discrete 11.1 sound track. They have been optimized for Neo X to make the best use of the existing 7.1 tack that's actually on the BD. What exactly "optimized" means I don't know but I did grab Expendables 2 and Dredd for just that reason.

I had to return my denon to vanns because of a blinking red light issue. I thought I would try my hand at the 8801 since audioholics gave me a deal on it.

And now the PURPOSE of my post is exactly what I stated and asked.
I think he is referring to how you're asking the question. You've returned the 4520 and already have a 8801 which doesnt seem like what your questions implies. It might seem like you're looking for more info on failing Denons, that you have an agenda of some sort. But then again I'm just reading what you guys wrote so I certainly don't know what's going on.

I've had my 4520 for over a month now and despite some decent abuse I haven't been able to destroy it. Rest assured I'll continue to try. I wish I could have gotten a 8801...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm trying to make a decision on one or the other. I'm debating on selling or returning the marantz and getting the denon again. Reason being that I don't hear the difference so to speak in price. My only reasoning for not possibly wanting the denon was due to the issues if you call them that with this unit.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Why didn't you
Couple of reasons. First was the money. I was already over budget on the 4520 since I spent double what I'd budgeted. The other reason is that I just don't need that for my system. I feel like dropping that much coin on the preamp and then having to buy an amp would have been silly. My room isn't really setup to take advantage of what the 8801 offers, it just wouldn't make sense. Maybe one day when I have a more dedicated room I'll invest but until then I'll just admire it from afar.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for your welcome PM, pleased to see the rules are so strict

Just bought one of these partially based on your excellent review just waiting for the courier now, going to partner an Oppo 95 and is replacing a fairly high end Pioneer getting a little long in the tooth although it will stay in the den.

Can't wait to get my hands on this machine :bigsmile:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Congratulations Rick and welcome to the Shack!

You are going to really like the 4520... a very nice receiver, as is the OPPO 95. :T

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Congratulations Rick and welcome to the Shack!

You are going to really like the 4520... a very nice receiver, as is the OPPO 95. :T
Another welcome - and congratulations! My 4520 has been perfect for my HT and I am certain you will love it. As Sonnie said, coupled with the OPPO, that is going to be a great setup!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Another welcome - and congratulations! My 4520 has been perfect for my HT and I am certain you will love it. As Sonnie said, coupled with the OPPO, that is going to be a great setup!
Thank you and Sonnie for the welcomes, just getting used to finding my way around this forum (although been contributing on the AVR forums for a while)

So the beast arrived, took ages to install, had to take out the Pio and then re route all the cables to keep separation between mains, speaker and signal cables in a rack mounted on spikes so I can't move it, took quite a while till I was satisfied. Did a quick single point calibration and then tried out some music and a movie. All was OK but it did not seem much better than the Pio but it had not really a decent chance to warm through. Today left it on for 4hrs and then did a full multi-point calibration (should have said 3 point, central and two main chairs) and check with SPL meter all spot on except I thought the sub was a bit low. Then a test with the Oppo on CD analogue and bitstream. Wow got some hairs standing up on the back of my neck, same thing I had first hearing the Oppo 95 analogue, being an :eek:lddude: surprised my hearing is that good. Ran briefly a movie with DTS MA 7.1 very impressed, now looking forward to settling down with a good movie something to stretch it a bit, maybe Inception although that is so deep I need to be wide awake for it. Whatever I am now certain we are really going to enjoy the Denon. Thank you Sonnie for your excellent review which swayed me quite a bit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thank you and Sonnie for the welcomes, just getting used to finding my way around this forum (although been contributing on the AVR forums for a while)

So the beast arrived, took ages to install, had to take out the Pio and then re route all the cables to keep separation between mains, speaker and signal cables in a rack mounted on spikes so I can't move it, took quite a while till I was satisfied. Did a quick single point calibration and then tried out some music and a movie. All was OK but it did not seem much better than the Pio but it had not really a decent chance to warm through. Today left it on for 4hrs and then did a full multi-point calibration (should have said 3 point, central and two main chairs) and check with SPL meter all spot on except I thought the sub was a bit low. Then a test with the Oppo on CD analogue and bitstream. Wow got some hairs standing up on the back of my neck, same thing I had first hearing the Oppo 95 analogue, being an :eek:lddude: surprised my hearing is that good. Ran briefly a movie with DTS MA 7.1 very impressed, now looking forward to settling down with a good movie something to stretch it a bit, maybe Inception although that is so deep I need to be wide awake for it. Whatever I am now certain we are really going to enjoy the Denon. Thank you Sonnie for your excellent review which swayed me quite a bit.
Update on the Denon 4520
Reading through Sonnie's review (again he makes a very valid point) and my dealer comments I noted Audyssey had set my mains and surrounds to large (surrounds are stand mounted and would normally be used as main speakers and siblings of the front speakers) unsurprisingly as they really are full range and is also they way I have used them in the past with the Pioneer. I had felt that music and some films were a bit heavy in the bass and resulting in loss of clarity so set them all to small and with a few other tweaks, including turning off the sub for stereo music, as I find my way around this new toy. Suddenly I found we really had lift off. We had watched Red 2 before this and I was very disappointed in the AQ but a lot I think has to do with the way the studio laid down the sound track. Watching the Hobbit and Expendables after this was a revelation as was listening to Pink Floyd, Dire Straits and Nora Jones 'Not To Late'. I can now confirm the Oppo 95 and the Denon 4520 do indeed make a terrific combination :bigsmile::hsd: and it is only going to get better as the 4520 beds in, already noticing the difference after a few days. Now away with the laptop to sit in front of it and go further through the manual, want to find out how to back up the calibrations among other things

·
Registered
20 Posts
Excellent review- thanks!

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Thanks and welcome to the forum. This is indeed a nice receiver and I hope you find it suits you well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sonnie,

Are you still using the 4520 as your main AVR? Or have you moved on?

I too have an Onkyo 5508 and a Denon 4520 and am trying to figure out which I like better. In an uncanny similarity - I bought the 4520 when my 5508 was in the shop. However, no sooner had my 5508 come back from the shop, my 4520 died, and it's been in and out of the shop regularly for the last 4 months. Finally Denon made right on the situation and gave me a different refurb unit all together, because my local repair shop told Denon there was a litany of problems with it - problems I didn't even discover myself. It was a lemon --- that said I'm getting ready to do some comparisons of the two. I've always liked my Onkyo 1007 before the 5508 and have really enjoyed my 5508. The 4520 has a lot of fans too --- so it'll be fun to do the comparison.

One thing I've discovered is there is potentially quite a variance in Audyssey mics --- so what we may think we like about one AVR, vs. another brand may have a lot to do with the Audyssey mic luck of the draw. I made a thread about that at avsforum. My refurbed Denon 4520 came with yet another mic, so I'll add it's FR plot to another test of the three mics I currently own within the next few days.

All that boils down to this. When I first got the Denon 4520 I ran Audyssey and was really impressed with the sound --- considering I'd never liked what Audyssey did on my Onkyo. When the Denon died I ran Audyssey with my Onkyo 5508 ---- BUT used the Denon mic and ---- surprise -- I really liked the sound, and it sounded just like the Denon to me?????? Ultimately I figured out it wasn't that Denon had a subjectively preferable version of Audyssey - but rather the Audyssey mic (same part number BTW) that shipped with the Denon was more matched to my subjective preferences. I always thought Audyssey on my Onkyo 5508 made my speakers too bright -- almost untolerable. Well testing the mics back to back revealed that the Onkyo packaged mic put the highest frequency treble bias about 5dB higher than the Denon mic. It really is hard to know which way is up in this hobby sometimes. I could have easily just said Denon seems to have a better implementation/superior sounding version of Audyssey (and did) until I figured this out ----- when really the truth is --- my initial preference was as random as rolling the dice --- simply based on the random mic built by a different company all together that was packaged in my AVR box.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1764065-brief-comparison-between-two-audyssey-multi-eq-xt32-mics.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes I still own and use the Denon AVR-4520ci. I really enjoy it. It has been trouble free. I had a Integra DHC 80.2 before it and experienced issues with ribbon cable connections, and the HDMI card had to be replaced. It was under warranty. I sold it. The Integra was quite similar to your Onkyo 5508- I assume.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My Yamaha receiver went kaput is at a shop now (about 700 miles from me :sweat:)

I can't wait until I get the receiver back (should be over a month), so I'm heavily considering either the Denon X4000 or the 4520. I can sell my Yamaha once it's fixed, as well as my SVS EQ1. With that, I could recoup some or most of my money.

Sonnie, this review got me REALLY excited.

The 4520 seems to be a beast. I love the amplifying power that it provides, all its versatility and, even though I'm currently only running a 4.2 system (fronts, surrounds, dual subs, phantom center), I am itching to get it.

Plus, I like the "Made in Japan" deal. For under 800 bucks (refurbished), it seems like a steal.

Thank you for your time reviewing this unit - even if it was a while back :). It was very helpful and exciting!

·
Registered
20 Posts
My Yamaha receiver went kaput is at a shop now (about 700 miles from me :sweat:)

I can't wait until I get the receiver back (should be over a month), so I'm heavily considering either the Denon X4000 or the 4520. I can sell my Yamaha once it's fixed, as well as my SVS EQ1. With that, I could recoup some or most of my money.

Sonnie, this review got me REALLY excited.

The 4520 seems to be a beast. I love the amplifying power that it provides, all its versatility and, even though I'm currently only running a 4.2 system (fronts, surrounds, dual subs, phantom center), I am itching to get it.

Plus, I like the "Made in Japan" deal. For under 800 bucks (refurbished), it seems like a steal.

Thank you for your time reviewing this unit - even if it was a while back :). It was very helpful and exciting!
Your very welcome. I am sure you will enjoy The AVR-4520ci. You can also, get it from accesores4less for $999.99 new with a 3 year factory. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavr4520cia/denon-avr-4520ci-denon-s-flagship-home-theater-receiver-150wpc-new/1.html

81 - 100 of 137 Posts