Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

101 - 120 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your very welcome. I am sure you will enjoy The AVR-4520ci. You can also, get it from accesores4less for $999.99 new with a 3 year factory.
Since a budget wasn't in my plans (thinking that my Yamaha would last forever...), I really pushed it with the 4520, even with the refurbished unit. I bought it this morning.

I dealt with Mark at A4L and he was a pleasure to deal with. I got the extended warranty, so fingers crossed.

Now I just need to buy some chocolate and flowers for the wife... The 4520 is too tall and won't fit in my TV stand, so shhhh don't tell her! haha. I'm going to have to move things around.

Thanks again, Sonnie. I'll re-read it once I get the 4520 :T

·
Registered
20 Posts
Since a budget wasn't in my plans (thinking that my Yamaha would last forever...), I really pushed it with the 4520, even with the refurbished unit. I bought it this morning.

I dealt with Mark at A4L and he was a pleasure to deal with. I got the extended warranty, so fingers crossed.

Now I just need to buy some chocolate and flowers for the wife... The 4520 is too tall and won't fit in my TV stand, so shhhh don't tell her! haha. I'm going to have to move things around.

Did you get the extended warranty at no extra cost to the $799.99?
What model Yamaha receiver did you have?
Surveyor

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did you get the extended warranty at no extra cost to the $799.99?
What model Yamaha receiver did you have?
Surveyor
Surveyor,

I had to purchase the extended warranty separately: 4 years, through New Leaf, on top of the 1 year Denon warranty for refurbished units. It was $99.

My Yamaha receiver is the RX-V773WABL (same as the other 773s, but all black and with the wi-fi adapter).

·
Registered
68 Posts

I agree with Sonnie and just like you bought partially on the content of his review and I think in all respects it is better than the fairly high end Pioneer it replaced. I don't think you will be disappointed. I have had it a while now and took me some time and patience to learn the most important features (many I don't use) but mainly wanted the 4Ohm capability, quality, internet radio and the quite nice feature of being able to backup all my settings to a computer, saves a lot of hassle if you ever have to do a full reset. I am in Europe and have to say that support is superb (close to that of Oppo) with response to enquiries usually under 12hrs. Not that anything drastic has happened, but the manual is one major shortcoming of this receiver and despite being technically orientated as a professional engineer it is difficult to follow and not very clear in many areas (probably the Japanese translation), luckily my supplier provided quite a comprehensive start up guide.

It has turned out to be a really good buy and as I have no interest in Atmos, which it won't do, a good long term investment. Do do a full multipoint Audyssey calibration it is well worth it. I don't use all 8 points but do a 6 point. The first being the center of our listening area between the wife and me setting the main speaker distances and other factors, then I do the outside arm of each chair and then three points at similar lateral locations but approx 3ft in front of the chairs, this gives us excellent results for all types of media and listening modes (have a look at the Audyssey thread on this forum, very useful info)

I took a long time knowing it was a big beast to ensure it would fit in my rack, but began to sweat a bit when I realised I only had 1/16 of an inch each side between the legs in my nice glass and ash wood stand but it did go in and has plenty of room for ventilation as the stand is open construction. Even after a hard session of an action movie, sometimes more than one, it barely gets warm to the touch and then only the right rear corner top is mildly warmer than the ambient temperature in the room. All round a terrific performer for both music and movies.

Do I have any reservations, just one I listen to multichannel music on occasion but despite having two HDMI connections the Oppo 95 will only output multi channel from HDMI 1 or 2 but not both and the 4520 keeps its HDMI ports active and you can only allocate one source to any one HDMI port, but the Audyssey settings for movies are not ideal for multichannel music (SACD or DVDA) and Audyssey settings are for each source not audio mode. I got over this by buying an active HDMI ver 1.4 splitter (not very expensive a good quality unit with a psu cost about $25 from Hong Kong incl. postage) and now using two HDMI ports on the 4520 I am able to have ideal settings for Audyssey for both music and movies.

Be patient and learn all you can about the wide range of features, it can be daunting but most importantly enjoy :hsd::D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Awesome. Great read, Rick R.

(Off topic, but Scotland is on the top 5 of countries I want to visit the most :))

Coming from Yamaha and YPAO, I'm sure there will be a learning curve. However, I'm patient and always like to read through this kind of stuff.

I'm already skimming through the Shack's Audyssey thread (as well as AVS' thread). Very useful stuff!

I just bought a mic boom stand - and adapter - on Amazon, and it should get here a day before the receiver does.

I sure hope it lasts for a long, long time.
Couldn't care less about Atmos - actually, couldn't afford in-ceiling speakers, either haha.

Time to box up my SVS EQ1 and put it for sale. I'm very excited about XT32 and SubEQ.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Awesome. Great read, Rick R.

(Off topic, but Scotland is on the top 5 of countries I want to visit the most :))

Coming from Yamaha and YPAO, I'm sure there will be a learning curve. However, I'm patient and always like to read through this kind of stuff.

I'm already skimming through the Shack's Audyssey thread (as well as AVS' thread). Very useful stuff!

I just bought a mic boom stand - and adapter - on Amazon, and it should get here a day before the receiver does.

I sure hope it lasts for a long, long time.
Couldn't care less about Atmos - actually, couldn't afford in-ceiling speakers, either haha.

Time to box up my SVS EQ1 and put it for sale. I'm very excited about XT32 and SubEQ.
Yeah not a bad place to live but we have our ups and downs just like anywhere else

My theory is that any good AVR/Amp should last around ten years at least, my old Yamaha now with a pal must be over 15 years old and still going strong. The Pioneer AVR ,flagship at the time, which I still have in the den and working fine must be around 8 years old, the main reasons for replacing it with the 4520 was the later technology peripherals and a concern that all my main system speakers are 4Ohm and occasionally I lost the left surround channel, not happened since its location to the den with 8Ohm speakers.

Atmos, well I have heard it :blink: not terribly impressed don't know what all the fuss is about, there are of course its advocates and if that's what they want/need then fine, but to be honest I get just about as good over head effects from the 4520 without it and no way would I get away with, or want ceiling speakers, 7 full range plus a sub is quite enough. Good move with the mic stand they really are necessary in some form or another, I was lucky and had some bits from a highliter lamp to make one just the right height

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just up graded a Yamaha RX-V677 to the Denon 4520. So far I'm very pleased especially with the noticeable increase in power. Audyssey set my mains to large which would seem correct since each tower has (2) 12" woofers, but when listening to music my single sub isn't being utilized. The Yamaha did something similar until I went into manual settings and picked 'extra bass'. Is there something simple to get use of the sub or is this more technical than would appear. Did Audyssey recognize a possible conflict with the placement of the sub in relation to the large mains?

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
I just up graded a Yamaha RX-V677 to the Denon 4520. So far I'm very pleased especially with the noticeable increase in power. Audyssey set my mains to large which would seem correct since each tower has (2) 12" woofers, but when listening to music my single sub isn't being utilized. The Yamaha did something similar until I went into manual settings and picked 'extra bass'. Is there something simple to get use of the sub or is this more technical than would appear. Did Audyssey recognize a possible conflict with the placement of the sub in relation to the large mains?
When you listen to music, what sound mode are you using on the 4520? I, too, just upgraded to this AVR and you're right, the power is nice, and the Audyssey is a step up from the X2000 I used previously. There is an "LFE + Mains" setting for the subs, but I hear more negative than positive comments on this setting, and I do not use it personally. I've tried it, and it does sound different (not sure if it is fair to say "better or worse"), but it sounds great without it, so that's how I run it.

I listen to music in Stereo mode which gives me the subs. I believe Direct or Pure Direct will remove Audyssey and run just the mains (LR) - not sure if, in the presence of LFE signals, the LFE is diverted to the mains, or if this depends on whether or not the mains are set to Large - I haven't experimented this far yet. Mine are set to Small (Chane A5rx-c's) and my subs are playing when in Stereo, this much I know.

·
Registered
68 Posts
This may be helpful to cez123

This is pretty normal for Audyssey, read through Sonnies review and the Audyssey thread. But pretty easy to sort out. Basically what Audyssey does is measures the response and then sets the speakers accordingly but of course all sorts of things affect this including room gain. What I would do is look at the specification for your speakers and check what the low end frequency response is. I will use my mains as an example which are quoted as 38Hz. First though I should point out that these settings suit me, but many of the experts on this an other forums recommend setting the crossover, which is what you are going to do, to 80Hz for all speakers (unless they are extremely limited in the bass department) this leaves the heavy bass lifting to the sub and allows the AVR/Amp to use its power in the low mid to upper ranges. However in my opinion except in extreme circumstances the last thing the 4520 is, is short of power.

Then go into the setup menu (I am going from memory here as I am not in front of the 4520 so please excuse any minor glitches, pm me if you need clarification). Scroll down down to speakers use the right arrow or enter and then select manual setup. Scroll to crossover settings and ensure that at the top individual (or something like that) is displayed and change it to that if necessary. next scroll down to each individual pairs of speakers and set the crossover from large to whatever crossover setting you want from the listing, in my case with the -3dB bass point being at 38Hz I set mine to 40Hz this basically prevents the amplifier from sending frequencies way down in the sub bass region that the speakers cannot handle. To see what I mean when you have finished and be careful go into the speakers Audyssey setup the other option and scroll down to view results in there you will be able to find the graphical representation of what Audyssey initially set and likely you will see below the low frequency cut off of your speakers some pretty heavy bass boost anything from +6dB to +12dB.

Whether you decide to set all to 80Hz or go my way is up to you and what you prefer. I would point out here that most manufacturers of AVR's do not send any bass to the sub woofer from other channels if the speakers for that channel are set to large.

Finally what I found after doing the above, was that heavy bass that was really boomy and uncomfortable :crying:with speakers set to large, as in for example some of the tracks in the album 'Adele 21', had been completely tamed to clean and proper bass :clap: with the sub woofer on or off. Generally I run, for critical listening using the analogue outs on an Oppo 95, with the sub off in music mode, as I generally don't listen to church organ music (then the sub would be on) IMHO there is little lost with the crossover set to 40Hz, not being a musician I am going from others opinions here:ponder:, I believe bass guitar does not quite get down to 40Hz.

Up to you to experiment now and find out what settings you prefer, you have a first class flagship AVR capable of superb performance it's just a complicated beast that takes a while to get used to and find all the tweeks and set them to your liking. I have had mine a year now and still learning :blink:.

By the way just a couple of additional notes. - You do not need to make any other changes (unless you want to, but I would not) to the Audyssey calibrated settings these are retained in the memory. Once all done and you are happy I would do a backup to a computer, how to do this is one of the few items that is fairly clearly explained in the rather awkward manual. Basically use the browser with the IP address of the 4520 (in network settings or information) and almost all control and setting are available from your computer including a save and load settings feature note AVR network setting has to be set to 'on in standby' for this to work properly. Being a belt and braces kind of guy :nerd::rofl2: I then copy the backup to a CD on which I keep all backups as I make any changes. Saves a lot of hassle if on the very very rare occasion you may have to do a full reset.
Hope all the above helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Philm63, Rick R
Thanks for your response.

Rick R
Your explanation makes perfect since. I will follow your advice and change the crossover frequencies of the mains and surrounds. I love this machine and all its flexibility.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
GRRR. I was having a problem with my Denon 4520... The other night the Denon stopped seeing my PS3, so i unhooked the PS3, and hooked it up to my other setup. I used all the same cables, and it worked fine. I took it back to my other setup, and it still would not work.

I then decided to do a factory reset on my 4520. Everything went fine, and the PS3 now works. Since I lost my Config settings from the reset, I did a load of my saved settings. That was 1 hour ago! It appears to be stuck in loading mode. I don't know if it is safe to power down and reset or what i should do... Any ideas...as I don't want to end up with a 4520 brick.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
GRRR. I was having a problem with my Denon 4520... The other night the Denon stopped seeing my PS3, so i unhooked the PS3, and hooked it up to my other setup. I used all the same cables, and it worked fine. I took it back to my other setup, and it still would not work. I then decided to do a factory reset on my 4520. Everything went fine, and the PS3 now works. Since I lost my Config settings from the reset, I did a load of my saved settings. That was 1 hour ago! It appears to be stuck in loading mode. I don't know if it is safe to power down and reset or what i should do... Any ideas...as I don't want to end up with a 4520 brick.
Ouch! I can only imagine your stress level. Is it still under warranty and have you called Denon tech support?

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Out of warranty. :(

I talked to a friend of mine who is a Repair Tech, and he told me to unplug it, wait 30 minutes and see if it still works as it could be a toaster. I did as he said, and it booted back up like nothing was wrong. I decided since it gave me problems loading the config last time, I will not chance it and just set everything up again. I just hope that it sounds exactly the same as before! My issue is getting the mic in the same locations as before. I am getting ready to re run Audyssey again now. :T

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Out of warranty. :( I talked to a friend of mine who is a Repair Tech, and he told me to unplug it, wait 30 minutes and see if it still works as it could be a toaster. I did as he said, and it booted back up like nothing was wrong. I decided since it gave me problems loading the config last time, I will not chance it and just set everything up again. I just hope that it sounds exactly the same as before! My issue is getting the mic in the same locations as before. I am getting ready to re run Audyssey again now. :T
I hate rerunning Audyssey after I get a good reading and the sound is just right. Good to hear it's working again. Had you owned an Onkyo internet rumors would have said it burst into flames and burnt your house down. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts

I talked to a friend of mine who is a Repair Tech, and he told me to unplug it, wait 30 minutes and see if it still works as it could be a toaster. I did as he said, and it booted back up like nothing was wrong. I decided since it gave me problems loading the config last time, I will not chance it and just set everything up again. I just hope that it sounds exactly the same as before! My issue is getting the mic in the same locations as before. I am getting ready to re run Audyssey again now. :T
Hi Ron, yeah I guess it raises the temperature until it's working again, but glad it is though, I think these 4520's are pretty tolerant to this kind of thing even to screw ups with firmware updates, Denon advise switch off and start again :devil:. I tend to log my speaker distances when I do a calibration and keep it in the same place as the backup. That way I always have a fairly good idea of where the mic should be.

I found Denon support really quite good and with one query they gave me a method of restarting a specific processor for networking without having to do a full reset, I did not need it, for the reason see below. These of course are probably Denon tech methods that are not included in the manual. My point here is that there is probably a similar sequence of button pushers to restart HDMI ports and other features which may have solved your PS3 problem without a full reset.

Why did it hang, I can only think of one situation where this might occur and relates to my non existent networking problem above. What browser are you using? Is it Firefox perchance? If so then this is most likely the problem because it times out after 300secs (in versions 29 onwards) when waiting for responses from the 4520. Why they have done this I have no idea but it caused me problems doing backups which as you know take around 10mins, I am assuming, as so far I have never had to do one, there will be similar delays when reloading the settings. I did post the solution to this problem with Firefox in this thread earlier around page 7 I think, I will post the reference to this when I find it. It involves changing a timeout setting in Firefox from 300 secs and I advised 1500secs which is twice as long as the 4520 should require, although I used 3000 myself originally

Well I got that wrong it is not in this thread but the owners thread, link here http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-receivers-processors-amps/61828-denon-avr-4520ci-official-owners-discussion-information-thread-21.html#post838370.

Hope this might be of some help

Rick

·
Registered
68 Posts

In relation to my post above, I just had another thought :ponder:. When doing backups and restoring the config networking should be set to 'on in standby'. Generally I am not set that way I hate the red glow of the partial standby light :sad:, as a result I have been caught out in the past doing a config backup which was not successful and wondering why :foottap:. Anyway, maybe just another possibility for the config load to hang.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Well it is working again, but the magic is gone. :( I had saved the backup file 3 times...So I am going to check the files to see if any of them are good. I am def not a happy camper today. :( I knew that the magic had to do with the mic placement, and my worst fear happened. Today i will be trying various things to get the magic back again.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Well the saved files are bad according to the hex editor i used, so i had another run at the calibration. This time i did it just like Wayne suggested in his Audyssey setup thread. I had the first 6 locations no more than 3" apart, and then did the last 2 settings at the center of the rear row on each arm wrest (a couple of inches above). The results were 100% better than i had last night, but not quite to where it was before. I also noticed that i needed to turn up the volume about 5db more to get the same sensations I used to get with my magic tune (still not as good in all aspects, but equal to or a little better in some while not as good in other aspects). I am thinking of going into the settings, and raising the levels for each channel by 5db, and then re listen.

Any ideas on whether this is a good idea?

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Do you level match your speakers to 75db?
I left them all the way they were... If I go to level match them again I would have to do it with the individual volume on each amp and that will through off my MiniDSPs unless there is another way to level match them in the Denon. :T

101 - 120 of 137 Posts