Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
I left them all the way they were... If I go to level match them again I would have to do it with the individual volume on each amp and that will through off my MiniDSPs unless there is another way to level match them in the Denon. :T
Ok, sorry I don't know much about the Denons. Actually I don't know much about any of this stuff. Pretty much running with knives would describe my knowledge with this hobby! :)

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Ok, sorry I don't know much about the Denons. Actually I don't know much about any of this stuff. Pretty much running with knives would describe my knowledge with this hobby! :)
:rofl::rofl::T:T

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
I put on Roger Waters Amused to Kill, and I noticed I no longer have a deep soundstage like i did before. When i had it setup before the Bobcat was to my right when i sit in the 2nd row... Now it is up by the screen:(

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
I put on Roger Waters Amused to Kill, and I noticed I no longer have a deep soundstage like i did before. When i had it setup before the Bobcat was to my right when i sit in the 2nd row... Now it is up by the screen:(
I can sense your frustration. At least your Denon still works and didn't "brick" out on you. It may take some work but I'm sure you'll get back to where you were. The magic will be back it's just a matter of time.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Now if i could just figure out how I need to change the mics to get back 10' + of soundstage depth from the 2nd row. The speakers have not been changed nor has the MLP...only running Audyssey again after having to reset the 4520.

Does anyone know which way i would move the mics to regain the depth?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Personally I would only focus the mic in a box no larger than about 3ft around the listening position. Measure 7 spots starting with the listening position and ending in it again.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Personally I would only focus the mic in a box no larger than about 3ft around the listening position. Measure 7 spots starting with the listening position and ending in it again.
That's what I do when measuring. The main two (wife and I) and a third with only two measurements which is rarely used. Seems to work good for us.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
I want to say that when i did the setup before the rest...that I did the points about 1' apart which gave me about 3' width for the second row and then the closer row got the same. This time I did what was suggested in the thread, and went 3" apart.

What we have noticed is that the Midrange used to be "to die for", and now it is not but, now we have more bottom end, and the top end is more extended. I will attempt to save my settings again, and also check to make sure it is a good one before doing more runs with Audyssey. At least by doing it this way i should not have to worry about ending up with a worse setup than I currently have. I would love it if i could get the midrange back that we had, and keep the bottom, and top ends that we currently have. :T:T

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Any luck getting the magic back?
Not yet... I am going to see if i can get a good save, and then try again hopefully today.:T:T

I think i came up with a better analogy to explain the magic last night... It is like you just stripped the the caramel off of the music, and were left with only the raw music. The sound was 3D, and when you watched a movie the characters were standing in front of you on the stage...the environment wrapped around each individual character to make them real.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Not yet... I am going to see if i can get a good save, and then try again hopefully today.:T:T I think i came up with a better analogy to explain the magic last night... It is like you just stripped the the caramel off of the music, and were left with only the raw music. The sound was 3D, and when you watched a movie the characters were standing in front of you on the stage...the environment wrapped around each individual character to make them real.
I get what you're saying. :)

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
I think i might have the magic back! I tried again to upload my save and it worked... I then went in and checked the settings just to be sure it was not what i already had, and I saw my inputs were named the same as they were before the reset. I have listened to a few songs and i think all is great! I will do some more serious listening this weekend to confirm, but for now i think I have success. I will need to make backups of backups for the file if it is the correct one.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
I think i might have the magic back! I tried again to upload my save and it worked... I then went in and checked the settings just to be sure it was not what i already had, and I saw my inputs were named the same as they were before the reset. I have listened to a few songs and i think all is great! I will do some more serious listening this weekend to confirm, but for now i think I have success. I will need to make backups of backups for the file if it is the correct one.
Woo Hoo! The magic is back! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Long time lurker, new member.

Have what I believe is a straightforward requirement, but can't get a clear answer if the 4520 handles its preamp mode differently than my 4311, with which I'm very pleased overall.

I wish to use my 4311's or a 4520's internal amps to power FL/C/FR and its preamp out for a different 'zone'.

The FL/C/FR and preamp 'zones' use different sources and will not run concurrently, and I wish to turn the Denon's internal amps off when using the preamp and external amp.

My 4311 doesn't have this capability and I'm curious if the 4520 does?

btw, the FL/FR are Studio 60 v5's; great shootout. Thank you.

Edit: Problem solved, operator error.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Long time lurker, new member.

Have what I believe is a straightforward requirement, but can't get a clear answer if the 4520 handles its preamp mode differently than my 4311, with which I'm very pleased overall.

I wish to use my 4311's or a 4520's internal amps to power FL/C/FR and its preamp out for a different 'zone'.

The FL/C/FR and preamp 'zones' use different sources and will not run concurrently, and I wish to turn the Denon's internal amps off when using the preamp and external amp.

My 4311 doesn't have this capability and I'm curious if the 4520 does?

btw, the FL/FR are Studio 60 v5's; great shootout. Thank you.
I'm running a bit thin on the ground here as I tend not to use the zones on the 4520 but from what I remember the situation is as follows

If you plug anything into a pre-out then the main amp for that channel is muted, someone correct me if I am wrong.

The zones on the 4520 are switchable on and off from the remote, select the zone required (top left button) and switch on or off with that zone selected and whilst it is selected the remote controls the various functions for that zone eg volume etc.
The sources can be selected from the front panel control but are, if memory serves me right, limited depending bythe source mode whether digital, analogue, HDMI or off the internet. I can't remember the exact configuration but as far as I can remember Zone 2 is a low level output from the pre-out, Zone 3 can have any spare amplifier(s) allocated to it and Zone 4 has an HDMI output. There are other functions like being able to drive another AVR using digital or analogue using a different source on the 4520 from which the main zone is set for example CD sound to the other AVR whilst listening to TV sound from the 4520 and there are other features. I have not spent much time on this side of the AVR so some of the information above may be incorrect. The AVR manual is available as a download from the Denon site and may give a better insight into the various zone options, but be warned it is not the easiest manual in the world to read:yikes:

The other thing is I don't know if the 4520 is still available any more and you may have to look at the 6200 or 7200 but I understand they are a bit more flexible with regard to zone source allocation and conversion from one format to another

Treat all the above with a little bit of caution it is in the ballpark but may not be completely accurate check out the main details from the 4520 manual which can be downloaded here https://usa.denon.com/us/downloads/manuals-and-downloads although not easy to go through should give you a good idea of what you can and cannot do, it is quite a large download around 30Mb or more.

Mine is the European model and again from memory there are some differences from the North American model the differences in both cases are all desirable but we don't get em all :frown:

121 - 137 of 137 Posts