Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys.

I've got a Denon AVR-888 which has no pre-outs. I'm planning to build active speakers and so I'll need a receiver with pre-outs.

I was thinking of selling the AVR-888 and getting a used Denon AVR-3806 instead. Are there any features that I would be giving up by doing this?

·
Australian Contingent , Platinum Supporter
246 Posts
I don't know much about the 888, but I've had my 4308 for some time now and I can't imagine it doesn't do anything the previous models didn't (err... did that make sense?).

Sonically, it's an excellent performer -- it replaced my aging AVP-A1 and has much better channel steering, even if the calibration is peculiar (I've set it up by ear). I can't speak for the internal amps as I'm only using it as a pre.

If I had the cash I'd buy the AVP-A1HD with no questions -- but here in Australia they cost the same as a small car (!).

·
Moderator Emeritus
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've compared the list of features, and don't see much that I would be missing by going back to the 2006 model 3806. But I do not know if the HDMI implementation is capable of doing all that the 2008 AVR 888 (2308) can do. Does it handle 7.1 channel PCM? I can't tell.

I may get the AVR-988 (2808) instead. It has the features of the AVR-888 plus pre-outs.

Does anyone here use the pre-outs on their Denon AVR?
Are the pre-outs on an AVR up to snuff?
The pre-outs are volume controlled, right?
I know that SACD via HDMI will not output from certain outputs.
If I play a blu-ray in my PS3 will the audio play through the pre-outs?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts