Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, spent a few hours setting up a 5.1 speaker config to a Denon AVR3313, so far the results are a success. I used the on screen set up instructions and the Audyssey mic to get the speakers connected and configured for the room it's in.

My question is am I getting the most out of the AVR unit? I know there are a number of standards incorporated in to the unit (Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus etc), are these automatically used as the medium applicable becomes active OR do they need enabling?

Any feedback (!) would be appreciated,

PS Agree that the remote is a little lacking considering for what you pay for the unit, any recommendations on a universal remote?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Other question is the speakers all have foam baffles (?) in them, are these best removed, that is only for transport or is it the environment which determines whether they get left in or removed?

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
If you set the Denon to automatic decoding (sorry, I don't remember the menu setting) it will recognize the audio signal that is coming from your source (blu ray player, sat receiver, etc.) and switch decoding modes automatically.

As for your question about the foam surrounds - please give us the manufacturer and model of your speakers. If you are talking about the outside edges of speaker cones where foam deteriorates and crumbles over time, then yes replacing it will make a difference. Re-coning kits are available for many drivers. I have never tried it, but it looks easy enough to do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Thanks for the feedback,

I will look at the remote and look for the setting you mention :)

The foam I refer to are the foam inserts in the ports at the rear of the cabinets, I have the AE Aelite 5.1 set?

I cannot hear a disctinct difference when they're out or in although I accept my ear may not be picking up the difference.

·
Registered
876 Posts
If you set the Denon to automatic decoding (sorry, I don't remember the menu setting) it will recognize the audio signal that is coming from your source (blu ray player, sat receiver, etc.) and switch decoding modes automatically.

As for your question about the foam surrounds - please give us the manufacturer and model of your speakers. If you are talking about the outside edges of speaker cones where foam deteriorates and crumbles over time, then yes replacing it will make a difference. Re-coning kits are available for many drivers. I have never tried it, but it looks easy enough to do.
The Speaker Exchange in Tampa is world renowned for their quality work.
http://reconingspeakers.com/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts