Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an avr-890 which has served to be a great machine for strictly home theater. 105 watts x7 running m&k 4ohm speakers. I like the idea of atmos even though there is not a lot of material yet and had my eye on an avr-x2200. A little less power but got great reviews and looks to be able to handle 4ohm loads. Is this going to be a vast improvement over the 890 that i own for 7.1 which most material is in currently?

thank you very much for your opinions.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also i got lucky with orignal install and side speakers are mounted in ceiling optimal for atmos. is there a big difference between 7.1 and atmos 5.2?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Also i got lucky with orignal install and side speakers are mounted in ceiling optimal for atmos. is there a big difference between 7.1 and atmos 5.2?

Do you mean you’d use the ceiling mounted speakers at atmos speakers and then install side/surround speakers where they should be for Atmos(closer to ear level)?

Your question 7.1 vs 5.2 isn’t quite complete. I’m assuming you mean to compare 7.1(standard layout) to 5.1.2(Atmos). In any case, 5.1.2 will be an upgrade from 7.1. Fwiw, there is actually quite a bit of Atmos content out there. Some studios have chosen to only include it on 4K disks, but there’s definitely material out there.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The comparison question is correct. I have two in the rear wall and two overhead. also i have a 1080 tv so would i have to upgrade to 4k to utilize atmos?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
No you won’t need to upgrade to 4K to use atmos. There are many BD titles that carry it. Also, atmos receivers have DSU, otherwise known as “Dolby Surround”. This takes a regular lossless soundtrack and up converts it to utilize the ceiling speakers, with the bed layer speakers to simulate an atmos experience. It’s actually quite effective, although not exactly the same.
The problem with the speaker layout currently is that the ceiling speakers can only be used as atmos speakers(if you’re going that way), and the rear in wall speakers will need to move to the side positions. Assuming the new Denon is a 7ch avr, you can do 5.1.2. Or if you get an avr that will process more channels you can add an outboard amp to drive a system such as 7.1.4(or 5.1.4).

This is what you’d be looking at for speaker placement.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is very close to that. The rear are mounted a bit too high though.
also what is dts:x?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
DtsX is dts’s immersive format. Their version of Atmos if you will.
Dts nueralX is their upmixer, like Dolby’s dsu.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts