Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can anyone help me with designing the box for "Dayton Audio RSS315HF-4" 12" subwoofer with "Bash 300S" plate amplifier.

This is my first sub build and I am not sure what to expect.

I will be using it for 30% music and 70% movie.

I have seen few designs for this but not sure which one to go for. Size of the box isn't an issue.

Thanks in advance,
Elango

·
Registered
13 Posts
As dougc already said you have to choose a fitting cabinet type. In order to reach a good compromise (audio is and will always be a compromise) you need to think at least about following questions:

You mentioned that you will use the subwoofer for music too so sound quality does also matter, right? Sound quality wise a sealed box could be the better choice if you wouldn't need much spl. But if you try to get similar spl levels out of a sealed box compared to a vented box you probably want to go with last one because at these high levels it will give you the lower distortions. So how loud do you need your bass? In a same sized enclosure you will get at least 6 db (sometimes even up to 10 db) more output with a vented box!

Also it is important how potent front speakers you have. If they don't go deep enough a sealed box could be better here because you can crossover at higher frequencies without getting problems with enclosure resonances and phase/group delay. I would say for a vented box your front speakers should be able to give you full spl down to 60-70 Hz or at least 80 Hz. Ultimately also the phase/group delay of these speakers at the crossover frequency should be considered for an optimal result but this would be still more complicated...

Additionally most certainly you have to involve your listening room. How are the dimensions of it? One 12" subwoofer driven by a 300 watts amp in a 40+ m² room isn't that much. In that case I would definitely prefer the vented box over the sealed one!

If you come up with some answers I will gladly help you calculating the fitting enclosure. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts