Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There comes a point in a man's life where he's gotta make a choice..
To DIY or not to DIY!!
We are here because we answered that call..and do we need blessings!!

A blessing i seek, in the form of a tool. Projection screens have for long been too much of an enigma for the lay person, and plainly because understanding optics, although fun, is painstakingly brain twisting..or so i think :scratch:

And the feeling I get is that it's got a lot to do with want of tools that let you experiment with all things optical. While trying to figure out ways to optimize a screen for my own very selfish needs, it dawned upon me that i need a tool with which I could put my whacky ideas on new shapes on those microshaped prismatic films to test. :ponder:

Ofc, a DIYer can't get the 3M's to make samples for testing purposes (with all due, awe-filled respect) , let alone make these films on their own..so here goes..

A plea to all developers to find/make a tool which lets us throw light onto our own custom shaped, own chosen material and see where/how the light comes out. :help:
By the very nature of optics, the tool might not be too hard to design..maybe a flash based tool would work

If on the other hand, one is available freely, please share. It would help a lot of DIY'ers :devil: bring down the house :hsd:

stop laughing, 3M!! :boxer:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For starters, we could just concentrate on getting the angles of refraction/reflection right. A glass slab and a perfect glass prism could be good test subjects at the outset.
Efficiency in transmission/absorption/reflectance and textures might be incorporated at a later stage. :eek:lddude:

I should mention i failed at finding such a tool on ze google search :whistling:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts