Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon

I am trying to find out how to determine the optimum box size in regard to the size of the driver being used.

Let me explain....If you want to use a 15 inch driver i know that you can use software like winisd but what criteria do you use to find out the optimum box size or volume? I noticed that winisd has a function that calculate the optimum box size but under what criteria? Volume entered?

Alain

·
Registered
762 Posts
First you need to determine which driver you want to use. Then you need to the t/s parameters from the manufacturer and plug them into winisd. Then you can play around with different volumes to determine the result that's you want.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
A couple of questions:-
What driver are you looking at and do you want sealed or ported?
Is it going to be solely for music or HT or a mixture of both?
Do you have a size for the enclosure in mind that you would like to use?

Let us know and we will try and help.
Cheers,
Bill.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Good afternoon

I am trying to find out how to determine the optimum box size in regard to the size of the driver being used.

Let me explain....If you want to use a 15 inch driver i know that you can use software like winisd but what criteria do you use to find out the optimum box size or volume? I noticed that winisd has a function that calculate the optimum box size but under what criteria? Volume entered?

Alain
Is this a specific question or a generalization one. If specific, we would need the info already asked for, i.e, the driver being used, the intended use for the sub, the maximum size you can accommodate, and if you want to go ported or sealed.

If its a general question, then there is no one answer. 'x' driver can go in boxes of various sizes depending on what your goals are. Sealed designs will always be smaller than ported ones, and there can be quite a bit of variation in ported designs, depending on the end results you want.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A couple of questions:-
What driver are you looking at and do you want sealed or ported?
Is it going to be solely for music or HT or a mixture of both?
Do you have a size for the enclosure in mind that you would like to use?

Let us know and we will try and help.
Cheers,
Bill.
I was looking at the mach5 ixl15.2.2 driver, and i saw on their website a box design for 91l which looks interesting and i sent a question to the tech support in regards to should i line the walls with foam or just fill the box with polyfill and is answer was that i should fill a box only if i plan on building a box that is much smaller than the optimum size for the driver

so it got me thinking about what is the optimum size according to the driver?

I played with winisd a bit but not sure i am using it properly

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That would be a car audio recommendation, not for HT or home audio.
I don't know got an answer back today from the tech support that says that the enclosure design proposed can be use for HT

looking at the drawing guess it can make sens

Alain

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
A lot will tell you they can be used for HT, but it doesnt necessarily mean it is optimised for HT. They dont want to sell themselves short and tell you its no good for HT, but they also probably dont want to get involved in any sort of redesign work.

With all the correct information, we can design the optimal cabinet for the application intended.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.