Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently started hearing some flapping / farting sound from my sub at low frequencies.

Its an old Paradigm PDR-8, so I'm not expecting to rattle the room or anything (I have another sub for the low stuff), but the grille doesn't come off, so I can't inspect the surround or woofer very easily.

Starting around 60hz, I get a pretty consistent flapping sound. I hadn't really noticed this until I was watching Godzilla, and I'm wondering if I blew something loose.

Any way to tell from these audio files?
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/87mqkwesdt85iqb/AADV4V-jg0hMgR6pzIsc9-wNa?dl=0

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just did a quick google image search and it looks like the front should come off of that. From the sound files it definitely sounds like something is loose. It could just be a dust cap, or something small is loose inside it. I'd try to get that grill off though to take a look

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just did a quick google image search and it looks like the front should come off of that. From the sound files it definitely sounds like something is loose. It could just be a dust cap, or something small is loose inside it. I'd try to get that grill off though to take a look
weird, since its on there pretty well. what did you search for where you found that? I was thinking about going through the back panel.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just did a search for Paradigm PDR-8. It looks like the pictures without the grill on show the holes that the front grill attaches to. Usually on most speakers there are posts on the grill that go into rubber coated holes. I would try to gently pry at one of the corners with a screwdriver or knife to see if it will budge at all.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just did a search for Paradigm PDR-8. It looks like the pictures without the grill on show the holes that the front grill attaches to. Usually on most speakers there are posts on the grill that go into rubber coated holes. I would try to gently pry at one of the corners with a screwdriver or knife to see if it will budge at all.
Yup. Old enough that they didn't have removable grills.
My CC-370 and mini-monitors are V2, and I got them around the same time, so they are super old.

will go for the screwdriver approach.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I ordered a new surround from SpeakerWorks. Total bargain for $8, including the adhesive.

Drying as we speak, and will be plugged in and working again before I go to sleep.

And I completely agree with y'all that 8" is too small. But this is my nice, tight musical sub. I've got two other subs hooked up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts