Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on the fence for a while now on getting a mic to calibrate my system. I, like most here I'm sure, love to tinker and am curious if it is more a toy to tinker with or if after using a mic, I'll be like "Wow, how did I ever listen to anything before this?".

I'm using an older Yamaha RX-V3300 receiver so my adjustment options are limited, but this unit is also pre auto calibration. So I figure the mic might give me a starting point, but I also know I like to run my subs hot just using my SPL meter. I guess my concern is even though the mic might tell me one thing, my ears may tell me another.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Calibration is more about learning what your ears are actually telling you. The problem is that you don't know. What you like has so many variables that you really have little idea how what you hear relates to any objective measure. When you calibrate, you learn some of this. You may discover that you like or don't like whatever target response you calibrate to, but at least you will have a reference point to work from.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I like the Omnimic because it shows me, in real time, the FR of my system and how changes I make affect it. It's a great tool for optimizing speaker and sub placement, and determining what kind of tweaks to apply for the best / flattest response at the listening position.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Because you don't have PEQ setup is important speaker/listening position can help.

Other option is the UMIK-1 or UMM-6 from Cross-Spectrum (mics only) and they work with REW.

They are both calibrated from 5 - 25,000hz.

Basically Mic/REW will tell you what you need to know about your system/room.

This could be your cheapest upgrade.

Are you happy with the sound you currently have?

You could buy $20,000 speakers and have them setup/positioned wrong and you could buy speakers worth $2,000 setup correctly, and these will sound better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because you don't have PEQ setup is important speaker/listening position can help.

Other option is the UMIK-1 or UMM-6 from Cross-Spectrum (mics only) and they work with REW.

They are both calibrated from 5 - 25,000hz.

Basically Mic/REW will tell you what you need to know about your system/room.

This could be your cheapest upgrade.

Are you happy with the sound you currently have?

You could buy $20,000 speakers and have them setup/positioned wrong and you could buy speakers worth $2,000 setup correctly, and these will sound better.
OK, I'm sold. I'll being placing my order shortly.

I actually am quite happy with the sound I have now, but there is always room for improvement.

I couldn't agree more with the cheaper speakers being setup correctly could sound better. I've found that in my room just using the spl meter that a single subwoofer in the front corner has a better frequency response than multiples around the room.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Highly recommend buying from Cross - Spectrum.

You won't regret it, alot of fun trying to get that extra out of your system.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would you say it's safe to go with the UMIK-1 at this point?

I know they were having some issues, but reading through the other threads it looks like those have been resolved. Plus with the CSL calibration, that should remove any ghosts in the system, I would imagine.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Would you say it's safe to go with the UMIK-1 at this point?

I know they were having some issues, but reading through the other threads it looks like those have been resolved. Plus with the CSL calibration, that should remove any ghosts in the system, I would imagine.
Looking on Cross - Spectrum thread Herb says that the UMIK-1 is the way to go, so to answer your question "yes".

If you are unsure drop Herb a email or post on his thread, see link below.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/spl-meters-mics-calibration-sound-cards/15951-cross-spectrum-microphone-calibration-service-usa.html

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing what I'm actually listening to.

Why does that seem weird somehow?...
Yeah quite true, a test for your ears.

I always thought that my ears were not that great, but soon realized that they were ok when measured and found out that the high end dropped of @ 5 khz.

Some things to think about:
1. Use the RTA in REW to find the best position/listening position for each speaker
2. Measure each main speaker to fine tune after finding these positions
3. Depending on gear if you have EQ and Distance settings set these up
4. Keep this in mind, when you are EQing 0 - 250hz you are EQing for the room, when EQing 250 - 20,000hz you are EQing the speakers, if this makes sense.
5. When EQing bass (0 - 250hz) apply EQ filters to both speakers playing (mono).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd just like to answer my own question with a resounding Yes!!!:T

After just one evening of tweaking I'm experiencing imaging and clarity I've never experienced before.

This could get dangerous, the endless pursuit of nirvana.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't even got that far yet, the improvements I've gotten so far are just from positioning and sub balancing. It turns out the old trusty rat shack meter isn't as trustworthy as I thought. After many hours of measuring with the SPL meter I wasn't even close to a flat eq. I would highly recommend the mic/rew setup with just a few hours experience, for the ability to properly balance your subs if nothing else.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Post some graphs to see the difference.

You might not need a EQ or room treatment.

I have a Dspeaker Antimode Dual Core 2.0, which i run for my mains only (can be used for dual subs as well). This unit has very good features that improve the sound, but also can get dangerous if using to much, e.g each channel has 17 manual PEQ filters even after Auto EQ.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
I'd just like to answer my own question with a resounding Yes!!!:T

After just one evening of tweaking I'm experiencing imaging and clarity I've never experienced before.

This could get dangerous, the endless pursuit of nirvana.
And welcome to the rabbit hole, it just goes on and on and on...

Enjoy the journey, the destinations can be very spaced out. But also extremely satisfying. Glad to hear you are getting some good results.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Post some graphs to see the difference.

You might not need a EQ or room treatment.

I have a Dspeaker Antimode Dual Core 2.0, which i run for my mains only (can be used for dual subs as well). This unit has very good features that improve the sound, but also can get dangerous if using to much, e.g each channel has 17 manual PEQ filters even after Auto EQ.
Unfortunately in all my excitement, it seems I forgot to save the original graph. I know my original settings so I can recreate it.

What is the preferred smoothing when posting graphs?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And welcome to the rabbit hole, it just goes on and on and on...

Enjoy the journey, the destinations can be very spaced out. But also extremely satisfying. Glad to hear you are getting some good results.
Enjoying the journey I am. I got off work early yesterday so I could do some more tweaking before the girlfriend got home. I made the mistake of starting some music while setting up, not a single measurement was made. :)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally got a chance to get some graphs together. Let me know if you have any tips on getting rid of the null at 500hz, otherwise I don't think they look too bad.

Mains
mains.jpg

Subs
subs.jpg

Mains & subs averaged
mains and subs averaged.jpg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts