Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Did you negotiate with your Partner/Spouse on your home purchase?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that a lot of people say they can't do something because their spouse will not approve of it... This brings up a point that I have wondered about... When you were looking for your home did you negotiate parts of the house that were for you to do as you please?

I am on my 3rd house now, and on each home I knew I would want certain areas and I negotiated what I wanted before we purchased the house. For me I wanted a pond, HT, and the garage...the rest of the house my wife could modify, decorate however she wanted, and I could do whatever i wanted with my selected areas.
This has eliminated all arguments, or asking what to do in a room. Now don't get me wrong, I still ask my wife for direction on decorating or furniture, but the final decision is still mine.

Am I doing something that is not normally done, or do some people for one reason or another choose not negotiate?

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
We knocked down our single story house and rebuilt a two story house in brick about four years ago because the old house had significant termite damage. (Which resulted in some of the weatherboards falling off on one wall.) :scared:
Since we already had a detached garage that was only built fairly recently I negotiated to have the two car garage on the plan converted to my music/media room and my wife sequestered one of the bedrooms as her library/study.
So we were both happy with the outcome. :yay:

·
Premium Member
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We knocked down our single story house and rebuilt a two story house in brick about four years ago because the old house had significant termite damage. (Which resulted in some of the weatherboards falling off on one wall.) :scared:
Since we already had a detached garage that was only built fairly recently I negotiated to have the two car garage on the plan converted to my music/media room and my wife sequestered one of the bedrooms as her library/study.
So we were both happy with the outcome. :yay:
:T:T
Def makes for a happy marriage after the negotiations...we almost broke up when looking for our first home as the homes my Fiance liked didn't have a room big enough to be a Theater (only small bedrooms)... we found the perfect home a week later, and we were both happy we waited.:bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Yes, my late wife and I negotiated and I took half the basement for the Theater room and computer room. The rest of the house was hers to do with for the most part.
My current wife loves watching movies so things are great in that regard :)

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
My wife is completely and totally supportive in all of my hobbies! Lucky me huh? She would love to move into a new home that could accommodate me having my dedicated room but I'm just not comfortable with a 4,000+ square foot home. If only I could find some acreage and half the footage. From guns to vehicles and the many other hobbies we enjoy she's been there for me. Not once have I been told no! I love her! :)

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
We live in our 1st house still. When we were looking, it was always..."this won't work for my surround sound." We finally settled on a nice house & renovated the kitchen for her & another room for my theater. I think I made out since I love to cook as well!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
We purchased our home 9 years and 3 months ago. For the first 4 years our room upstairs was a playroom with nothing but toys in it. No doors just the two 4' openings. Then another 4 years we had a TV and a couch up there but was mainly for the kids. Finally ONE year ago I convinced her to turn it into a movie room and her only request was she still wanted to do christmas morning up there w/ the tree and presents. So I left enough room in the corner where we always put the tree and now we still enjoy christmas there. This is the reason my room is sideways and not optimal for sound. We have 4 kids youngest being 2.... this tells me for at least the next 10-14 years my room will not change.

She was OK with me doing the movie room and gave me full permission to do any acoustic treatments I needed to as long as the floor was movable items and that I wrapped them in fabric to make them as esthetic as I can but in return for me having the movie room I had to let her have our bedroom done in purple. So now I have purple sheets/pillows/comforter and our ceiling coffer and backwall are also purple. I'm actually OK with it because it turned out nice.

The before was a plain ceiling but I built the coffer and did the double crown myself... all the sheetrock/paint by me also.

Attachments

·
Registered
871 Posts
Its a great question. We learned to negotiate after our 2nd house and its worked for us as we both get what we want without feeling that we conceded too much to the other. Its actually very healthy for a relationship and shows respect of one another's needs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts