Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a question, how do I know how good a sub is?

I dont have much experience with many subs, in fact I have only used 3 in my own set-up.

I have heard other ones, but cant get the same comparison due to different rooms and speakers.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Frequency response and db output at its lowest rated frequency response is what you need to look for. A sub that only goes down to 30Hz is just starting to get into the frequencies that really hit you during movies.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
First we need to define "What a good sub is" for you, What do you expect from the sub???....

For example, I thought that my two subs (Velodyne VRP 1000 and Infinity TSS 750 150RMS and FR 35Hz-150Hz) were good to me ...until I went DIY and build a Sonosub (850RMS 15Hz-150Hz)with the help of some members from HTS :T; I still think they're good to start the HT experience, but not for me anymore...

I agree with Tony, most subs that has a FR from 20Hz and at least 300RMS can be considered good subs, specially if is a know brand name :yes:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, alright.

Well, when i got an email from one of the tech guys from SVS, he was saying that the numbers arent all thats important when picking a sub.

Here's his response to my email a couple months ago;
Just a preemptive comment regarding your below questions: It is a difficult to estimate a subwoofer’s performance by studying variables like amp power and woofer size/stroke in isolation. We prefer to simply show you what the subwoofer is capable of as a system, with respect to frequency response, maximum clean output, compression and distortion – because those are the things which really matter to the end user. The performance is a complex interaction of woofer, amp, cabinet volume, port size, and system tuning frequency. Few subwoofers have this kind of performance (as measured outdoors at 2 meters) at any price, much less the very affordable MSRP of the Ultra. The Ultra has more clean output at 20 Hz than the $10,000 Genelec HTS-6 for example.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Well, when i got an email from one of the tech guys from SVS, he was saying that the numbers arent all thats important when picking a sub.
That's true ..."The numbers are the starting point to make a decision to buy the subwoofer" :yes:

What he said in the email about woofer size, port size, frequency response, maximum clean output, compression and distortion etc. is also true, but the question is: Do all companies publish this information??? ...Will the subwoofer perform the same in your room??? ...Will you be happy with the performance??? ...there's a lot of variables to say that everybody will be happy with the same sub. :yes:

Like I said before, give the Velodyne VRP1000 to somebody who has no sub or has been using an HTIB and I bet you they'll be happy ...but, give the same sub to somebody who uses a bigger sub (either brand name or DIY) and I'm sure they will not like the performance, the subs is like anything else; when you move up the ladder you don't want to go back down :bigsmile:.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts