Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it the same as in car audio, Where when you double the power , at max you gain on avg 3-5 db? Hard to tell in home, but obviously ppl want the low end to rumble and shake the foundation So are there limits, or what will the audible difference be between the 2 while watching movies, playing games , etc..

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
And in reality, you would get less than that because of compression in the driver.

What it gives you, is more headroom for dynamic peaks. It will play louder without clipping.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
704 Posts
... although the average user will probably never notice the difference. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.. I was just debating the 2 amps because i saw in some of Kevins write-ups that the 1000 watt amp is optional, but didnt understand or know if it will truely give the sub a better sound , play lower and deeper etc, because like i said ( and i am finding out more and more each day ) car audio and HT subs are worlds apart in how they play in there own enviornment

So Kevin do you think its worth the extra $200 or so for the 1000 , or is it only going to be noticible during peaks?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Thanks guys.. I was just debating the 2 amps because i saw in some of Kevins write-ups that the 1000 watt amp is optional, but didnt understand or know if it will truely give the sub a better sound , play lower and deeper etc, because like i said ( and i am finding out more and more each day ) car audio and HT subs are worlds apart in how they play in there own enviornment

So Kevin do you think its worth the extra $200 or so for the 1000 , or is it only going to be noticible during peaks?
All the extra amplifier power provides, is the extra headroom. It has no impact on sound quality, or the frequency response of the device.

Whether it is worth it or not depends on how hard you are running the device to get the necessary SPL levels in-room. In a small room, with lots of room gain the user may not ever see any benefit from the extra power. In a large open room design, where the user pushed the device hard, you could conceivably benefit from the extra headroom. I don't have a good answer for which fits your case better.

If you are tight on money, the 500W is a good solution. If you have a pocket full of cash, the 1000W gives you more output. Whether or not you need it, is going to change room to room and individual to individual.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All the extra amplifier power provides, is the extra headroom. It has no impact on sound quality, or the frequency response of the device.

Whether it is worth it or not depends on how hard you are running the device to get the necessary SPL levels in-room. In a small room, with lots of room gain the user may not ever see any benefit from the extra power. In a large open room design, where the user pushed the device hard, you could conceivably benefit from the extra headroom. I don't have a good answer for which fits your case better.

If you are tight on money, the 500W is a good solution. If you have a pocket full of cash, the 1000W gives you more output. Whether or not you need it, is going to change room to room and individual to individual.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

Thanks Kevin.. What i meant to ask is, would 500 watts be enough power for this? also which box enclosure would you recommend.. My room is 16x20x8 and leads into a kitchen, so its quite a big area..

Looking to get the most out of the sub, since nomatter what i seem to put in here just doesnt have enough to feel the ultra low end and the room is just to big

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'd recommend getting as much driver as you can afford if you have an open layout. You won't have the typical cabin gain of a closed room so you need orders of magnitude more subwoofer capability compared to what you would use in a small enclosed room in a basement.

If your goal is a pressurize a large space, move up to the Maelstrom-18" or even the 21" and get a big pro-amp. You cannot take half-way measures and get the job done. You need big iron and large drivers driven by several KW of power.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd recommend getting as much driver as you can afford if you have an open layout. You won't have the typical cabin gain of a closed room so you need orders of magnitude more subwoofer capability compared to what you would use in a small enclosed room in a basement.

If your goal is a pressurize a large space, move up to the Maelstrom-18" or even the 21" and get a big pro-amp. You cannot take half-way measures and get the job done. You need big iron and large drivers driven by several KW of power.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

I hear ya man.. Its tough when everything is so wide open, i mean if you consider the living room /hallway/kitchen etc ,were talking 800 sq feet @ 8 foot ceilings thats a ton of responsibility for a single 12 like i have had.. Which is why i wanted to go to a good 15 with great output potential and give it a good amount of power.. The klipsch sub12 i have now is descent, but gets drown out with dead spots and area in the room,, and i think thats a 300 rms, 12"

also, the SMaller design you made up for the new tempest ( 6 or so cf i believe ) would work great as i dont have a ton of space , but that would be fine.. And what are your opinions on risers or subtraps if you have a design like you drew up with a front fire sub/slot port

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I hear ya man.. Its tough when everything is so wide open, i mean if you consider the living room /hallway/kitchen etc ,were talking 800 sq feet @ 8 foot ceilings thats a ton of responsibility for a single 12 like i have had.. Which is why i wanted to go to a good 15 with great output potential and give it a good amount of power.. The klipsch sub12 i have now is descent, but gets drown out with dead spots and area in the room,, and i think thats a 300 rms, 12"

also, the SMaller design you made up for the new tempest ( 6 or so cf i believe ) would work great as i dont have a ton of space , but that would be fine.. And what are your opinions on risers or subtraps if you have a design like you drew up with a front fire sub/slot port
Give me a call.

360-452-9373

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

1 - 12 of 12 Posts