Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, Hope you can help.

My room is a rather big as it contains my kitchen, my dining room and my living room. Its consists of several rooms, but the main room where the speakers are placed measures 455cm wide by 960cm long, 230cm to the ceiling.

Floor is massive wooden oak planks. Walls are brick; most walls are actually covered with panorama windows. Front wall behind speakers is however plaster/knauff with fiber and paint, and rear wall is all windows and overall both sides are more or less open to either the kitchen or a second living room. However the front area around the speakers does have sides. To the left there is a plaster wall with a glass door (thick glass in massive maghony). To the right a big panorama window covering ¾ from top and down.

A big heavy carpet is placed between the speakers. In the remaining space some midsize carpets are placed strategically. Paintings and minor bookshelves cover only a fraction of the walls. A three seat sofa is placed against the side and 3 meter dining table (60 mm thick massive oak standing on a thin carpet) in the far end. That is pretty much all the furnishing in the rather large room.

My system is on center in the room, and it seems to works well.

I only listen to two channels and I have no subwoofer located in the room. Stereo imaging and stage size is key for me.

I have in total 9 sheets of 15mm Rockfon acoustics panels produced by Rockwool placed behind the speakers only to adjust the RT60 down a bit. They only work from 500hz and upwards with a Noise Reduction Coefficient around 1.

I have not yet treated the sidewall 1st reflection points as haven’t made up my mind yet.
Should go for diffusion or absorption? I see many placing multible basstraps i all corners in a room. Doesnt that kill the energy in the music? Maybe great for recording but what about for reproduction?

Should I go for mobile (wife acceptance) basstraps placed on stands with rubber wheels underneath.
Height two pieces of 703?

Or

Same height mobile difussors

I currently have a nasty dips in my response around the 50 hertz (not the speaker; Dali MS4), and I would like to have this smoothed out.

I will naturally upload any measurement you like from REW..

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Can you post a sketch of the area so we can better see what's happening - or maybe a pic or 2? You'll need to use the post padding thread as you have to have 5 posts I believe before you can do pics.

Bryan

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Restrictions should be immediately lifted for donating members...hmm?

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Sorry Martin. Wasn't paying attention. Not sure if that's even a doable thing. No matter, you have enough posts now.

Bryan

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
These are my speakers - Dali MS4 without sub - 2 channels only.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Not seeing anything. Tried to do an edit on your message in case it was just a link problem but nothing there. Just embed it in your post using the icon that's yellow and looks like a mountain.

Bryan

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see it fine?

Thanks...I used the postcard icon that lets you write the url/deeplink to the picture..

Funny?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the drawing show now?

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Still don't see it - sorry.

Bryan

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Bryan, you still don't see it? I do. Back in the original post?
Or am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Sry - yes, I can see it now.

Diffusion at the ceiling reflections would be nice but behind the speakers probably won't do much of anything for you.

Try an experiment. If you move the speakers say 6" closer to the front wall, does the 50Hz dip change any? Shift frequency?

Bryan

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

So this is what I ended up with; the green curve is the current status-curve.

Moving the speakers closer to the front wall increased the bass again. How can I level this out even more? Any suggestions.

This software is so cool...I must have made more than 100 sweeps during the weekend.:blink:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

The 9 sheets of 15mm Rockfon acoustics panels seems to work well in the higer mid-to highs.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
If you want it flatter in the bass region, start taking scans from 15-200Hz, with no smoothing, to see the details in what you're getting there. To look at the waterfall, make sure the frequency axis is in log mode.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What kind of settings should I use for the waterfall besides the log scale? Time range and window?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

Why are my peaks so high on the waterfall and not on the standard SPL curve?

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
You're recording REALLY loud. Careful of those tweeters. Base level should be about 75db

Bryan

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
You're recording REALLY loud. Careful of those tweeters. Base level should be about 75db

Bryan
WHAT???:sarcastic:

It keeps telling me that the level is to low when i test before recording. I calibrate using my RS-meter at 75dB. Maybee my seetings are wrong somewhere?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts