Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have an RCA model R52WH74 with an ITC222A chassis with what I have gathered (from reading other threads here) a convergence problem. There is a black dip in the top of the screen and nowhere else. My auto convergence option is no longer in the menu. After reading here I decided to open it up and see what I could see. I do not see any burns or bad connections (not a pro though) I did find where to manually move the colors. Turned on tv and started "moving the colors"....I can move all three colors (individually) horizontally and vertically , but that dip at the top is keeping things from lining up properly. Is this in line with an IC, resistor, or fuse problem? Do I just need to order one of these "STK" parts and go from there? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Your set does not use the typical output ICs that most do. The most common thing that I have seen causing similar problems without shutting the set down are bad connectors on the ribbon cable that goes to the convergence board. If this is your problem, I do not recommend trying to DIY. Removing those connectors without damage to the board is likely beyond the skill of most. There are lots of other possible causes as well. These sets are not good candidates for DIYer without significant experience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your help. It is greatly appreciated. I will be taking this into the shop (makes my girlfriend happy; as she thinks I am going to electrocute myself anyway).

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Just to update this thread...

The ITC222 chassis has had lots of problems with intermittent connections on the flyback transformer pins (IHVT). Recently I have seen lots of them that will not shut down but will give this symptom with no convergence correction. Some models seem to run and some not, and some seem to blow the fuse on the output of the flyback secondary and some not.

Always resolder the pins on the flyback when you have convervgence issues, or when the set is apart for other service. Many recently are good candidates for a quick DIY repair.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have electronic knowledge and (de)soldering skills... i have a similar problem too.. i need to have a look inside..my pic dips at top and bottom...every 3- 4 days blue goes haywire( mainly to the left) and red just "works" itself out of wack...i think i have loose joints.....

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Resolder the pins on the flyback transformer (IHVT). If you do it soon, you may avoid blowing the fuse. If that does not fix it you could have a bad connector on the ribbon cable between the signal board and the convergence board. If the latter, replacing the connector is not easy and requires more skill in de-soldering.

·
Registered
22 Posts
ive never seen a 1080 convergence menu for my d52w23 ch#itc222. i use an xbox 360 for my dvi input. the setting on xbox will not let me have a higher resolution that 680x480.....im sure i should be able to have 1080i cause the manual says it supports it. the service menu convg. says "480" on the dvi input.......so how do i get my tv to dispaly in 1080? thx

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
If it is capable of it it will display it when you give it a 1080i signal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
well from what i understand ...if i turn set on dvi input for 20-30 mins then go into service menu, it will display 1080 in the convg. menu.. mine only says 480 convg... could it be electronic problem?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The set has no STK outputs at all. It uses discrete transistors.

I don't know where you are getting your information, but I don't recall any such procedure to display 1080i. If the set is capable of 1080i, it can certainly be aligned with a 1080i source. If you don't have one, then there is no reason to bother. Check the service and training literature to be sure about its capability and service procedures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts