Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Denon 4311Ci Receiver. It has a function called "Direct". I am trying to figure out what that does. When it is in that mode I know it puts it in 2 channel stereo. What I do not know is when it is in this mode does it mean that it is true stereo? Are all the calibration setting of audyssey "turned off"? Am I listening to pure 2 channel direct stereo where all of the bass is going into the right and left speakers like as if I had only a 2 channel stereo receiver? Or do I have to go into the setting and step make an adjustment to the crossover? When it lights up on the front in stereo the sub is on and showing on the display. When it is in direct or pure direct it is not showing the sub. Which leads me to believe all the bass is going to the right and left but I am not sure. Any help would be great. The explanation in the manual is a bit confusing. I am running analog out of a oppo BDP103 when I play a cd in stereo.

Thanks
HIFI

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I do not know the 4311C nor do I have access to its user's manual.
I own a Denon 4311Ci Receiver. It has a function called "Direct". I am trying to figure out what that does. When it is in that mode I know it puts it in 2 channel stereo.
That depends on what you are feeding it. If it gets a 2 channel signal, it plays 2 channel stereo. If it gets a 5.1 signal, it plays 5.1.

What I do not know is when it is in this mode does it mean that it is true stereo?
See above.
Are all the calibration setting of audyssey "turned off"?
Yes.
Am I listening to pure 2 channel direct stereo where all of the bass is going into the right and left speakers like as if I had only a 2 channel stereo receiver?
Yes.
Or do I have to go into the setting and step make an adjustment to the crossover?
No.
When it lights up on the front in stereo the sub is on and showing on the display. When it is in direct or pure direct it is not showing the sub. Which leads me to believe all the bass is going to the right and left but I am not sure.
Yes. With Direct, there is no bass management.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
From what I remember about my 3805;
Direct Mode by-passes all internal crossovers and tone controls, it sends full range signal even if speakers are set to small.
Pure Direct does the same as direct but also kills all video and the front panel display.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not know the 4311C nor do I have access to its user's manual. That depends on what you are feeding it. If it gets a 2 channel signal, it plays 2 channel stereo. If it gets a 5.1 signal, it plays 5.1. See above. Yes. Yes. No. Yes. With Direct, there is no bass management.
Thank you! I thought so but needed confirmation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts