Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have Directv and the picture is stellar however our contract with them ends this June and we have the opportunity to go with Uverse instead.
If anyone has had both before can you tell me if there is a difference in PQ?
I was told that some providers have weaker PQ than others.

·
Super Moderator
9,310 Posts

Can’t advise you on picture quality, as I’ve never had AT&T. But I can tell you that if you try to cancel your service with DirecTV, they will do their best to stick it to you. It’s part of their business model: do an internet search on “directv fraud,” directv scam,” directv lawsuit,” and so forth and you’ll find no shortage of reading material and hard-luck stories.

When we cancelled they tried to hit us up for all kinds of bogus fees and charges, and claimed they owned the used DVR we had purchased on ebay, and demanded we “return” it to them!

If you have a direct-payment arrangement using a debit or credit card, you will need to cancel the card and get a new one if you dispute any charges they try to hit you with. If you don’t they will politely take the money right out of your bank account.

Also, if you own your own DVR and have shows on it that you haven’t got around to watching yet, be sure and totally disconnect it when you cancel the service – all antenna, phone and/or internet connections. Everything. If you don’t they can and will blow out all your programs.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can’t advise you on picture quality, as I’ve never had AT&T. But I can tell you that if you try to cancel your service with DirecTV, they will do their best to stick it to you. It’s part of their business model: do an internet search on “directv fraud,” directv scam,” directv lawsuit,” and so forth and you’ll find no shortage of reading material and hard-luck stories.

When we cancelled they tried to hit us up for all kinds of bogus fees and charges, and claimed they owned the used DVR we had purchased on ebay, and demanded we “return” it to them!

If you have a direct-payment arrangement using a debit or credit card, you will need to cancel the card and get a new one if you dispute any charges they try to hit you with. If you don’t they will politely take the money right out of your bank account.

Also, if you own your own DVR and have shows on it that you haven’t got around to watching yet, be sure and totally disconnect it when you cancel the service – all antenna, phone and/or internet connections. Everything. If you don’t they can and will blow out all your programs.

Regards,
Wayne
Oh no that's not good at all. I will call them this week and see what they tell me as far as what happens if i cancel since I won't be in contract. I rather know ahead of time if I decide to cancel if I'll owe zero or try to stick me with fees. The question is will the agent be honest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Depending on how far you are from the VRAD. Depends on how many streams. I got tired of the break-up of the picture during fast motion and confetti drops. That I went with DirecTV. DirecTV will work with you on package savings. Unlike ATT.

After getting nowhere with ATT retention's to try and see if they would keep me as a customer. I left them for both Internet & tv.

What equipment do you have with DirecTV currently?

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Depending on how far you are from the VRAD. Depends on how many streams. I got tired of the break-up of the picture during fast motion and confetti drops. That I went with DirecTV. DirecTV will work with you on package savings. Unlike ATT.

After getting nowhere with ATT retention's to try and see if they would keep me as a customer. I left them for both Internet & tv.

What equipment do you have with DirecTV currently?
A dvr and 2 boxes all HD. If we stay with DirecTV we want the Genie dvr.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A dvr and 2 boxes all HD. If we stay with DirecTV we want the Genie dvr.
I have a HR44/700 with two C31/700 clients, along with the AM-21N. My wife could not be any happier with that setup. Plus she loves having Sunday Ticket. If you look on some of the DirecTV forums (not the actual DirecTV forum). You will find that some have gotten Direct to renew their contract for two years, with the HR34 or HR44. Along with Promotional packages.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have a HR44/700 with two C31/700 clients, along with the AM-21N. My wife could not be any happier with that setup. Plus she loves having Sunday Ticket. If you look on some of the DirecTV forums (not the actual DirecTV forum). You will find that some have gotten Direct to renew their contract for two years, with the HR34 or HR44. Along with Promotional packages.
Looking at the specs I have the HR 24/100 for dvr and two H25/100 for the rooms.
If they can't do Genie we might move on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looking at the specs I have the HR 24/100 for dvr and two H25/100 for the rooms.
If they can't do Genie we might move on.
With your setup you are better off. The Genie does limit you just like U-Verse would on the number of clients and that you are sharing the 2TB drive space on the DVR.

The HR44/700 DVR is the same size as the clients/STB's for U-Verse. You will find the biggest complaint with ATT, is poor PQ for those that are far away from the VRAD. Also you do not get the Sub-Channels for local stations with U-Verse.

Personally I like the C31's better then the clients for U-Verse. Smaller boxes that you can hide on the back of the tv if wall hung, or out of the way.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With your setup you are better off. The Genie does limit you just like U-Verse would on the number of clients and that you are sharing the 2TB drive space on the DVR.

The HR44/700 DVR is the same size as the clients/STB's for U-Verse. You will find the biggest complaint with ATT, is poor PQ for those that are far away from the VRAD. Also you do not get the Sub-Channels for local stations with U-Verse.

Personally I like the C31's better then the clients for U-Verse. Smaller boxes that you can hide on the back of the tv if wall hung, or out of the way.
With my current set up if someone is watching the recorded stuff in one room you would need to get out of the recorded stuff so the other person in a second room can watch the recorded stuff.
This is only with the bedroom boxes it does not apply to the dvr in the family room.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree with Wayne, be careful when you are about to cancel Directv.....
I spoke with the DirecTV agent and was told that i won't be charged anything if I drop them.
Now i also asked about the packages to see if we can get the same deal as a new customer would and was told no because we are not new customers.
I think we should be considered new customers if we decide to renew the contract because after all I would be starting all over plus I can easily go with someone else.
They consider you new customer if you drop them and restart months later.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts