1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I like this line " ...to offer high definition programming in 1080p, the highest and best HD resolution available" sucks people in who have no idea. Going from 1080i to 1080p is NOT a resolution change.
going from 720p to 1080p is not even noticeable unless you have a 100" or larger display. The other issue is that the more channels they add the more they have to compress the signal so your really getting less and less of the true HD signal.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Did I miss something or was there no mention of any content actually being available in 1080p? Looks like mostly hype. Most people don't realize it, but 1080p(at 24 & 30 Hz) is part of the ATSC group of formats that sets with ATSC tuners would be able to handle OTA if it was transmitted. The real question is whether sets will display the 24Hz rate properly or upconvert to 60. If the latter, you may lose lots of the advantage of 1080p over 1080i or even end up with more of a processing mess.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I bet they're just going to transfer the signals at 1080p24 rather than 1080i60. 1080p24 is actually less bandwidth. The HD DVR would then do a 3:2 pull down on it. Or they'll do 1080p30 which is the same bandwidth. It's all marketing hype anyway.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
This was nothing more than something to stop the bleeding. DirecTV made their announcement three days beforehand. I cannot recall where I seen it but I believe Dish lost quite a few customers in the last quarter. They have to make it seem like they're doing something to stop folks from jumping ship.

And I, like lcaillo, am a bit skeptical of how exactly they're going to do this - both Dish and DirecTV. I don't know much on the technical side of things. But I don't believe there are many providers, if any, of 1080p content. :dunno:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
It appears it will only be available for pay per view movies.

I am not impressed with the HD channels being added tomorrow. Looks like mostly premium movie channels, other than a few like Lifetime and CBS Sports.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I bet they're just going to transfer the signals at 1080p24 rather than 1080i60. 1080p24 is actually less bandwidth. The HD DVR would then do a 3:2 pull down on it. Or they'll do 1080p30 which is the same bandwidth. It's all marketing hype anyway.
It will almost certainly be 1080p24 for movies, as 1080p60 is not even defined in the ATSC standards and very little could use it. The big benefit is not having to do 2:3/3:2 conversion if you have a set that can accept the 24 frame as is. This is great, but just not a big deal. The next generation recievers from DirecTV and from the cable STB makers will almost certainly have the same capability. Dish is just hyping something that is happening anyway and that could be done OTA with the tuners in most sets right now. The bandwidth required is actually just about the same as sending a movie as 1080i because the duplicated frames are mostly accounted for in compression anyway.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
It will almost certainly be 1080p24 for movies........
....Dish is just hyping something that is happening anyway and that could be done OTA with the tuners in most sets right now......
I don't keep up on this stuff, so can you explain why you guys are poo-pooing this announcement?

I kinda thought it sounded like a good thing. I've seen 1080p from a bluray player on a 1080p display, and it looks real good to me. Better than the 1080i or 720p I've seen anyway.

What does the transmission of 1080p over satellite have to do with OTA?

brucek

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
It is definitel a good thing. Not a big deal really is all I was saying. 1080p24 makes a lot of sense if the display can accept it without conversion and all of the equipment in between is capable. The real question is how much content will actually be available and how much will they limit the bandwidth on those transmissions. On that note I ran acrosss this:

http://www.betanews.com/article/Dish_first_to_deliver_1080p_HD_television_programming/1217532678

So they will be delivering some content. How much more is to be seen.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Sat. companies have already been compressing the HD signals for some time and it will only get worse as they add more channels. OTA is the bast way to view HD brodcasts and in most cases (at least in Canada) Cable is far better than sat however the HD selection is poor with usually only about 20 channels.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Sat. companies have already been compressing the HD signals for some time and it will only get worse as they add more channels. OTA is the bast way to view HD brodcasts and in most cases (at least in Canada) Cable is far better than sat however the HD selection is poor with usually only about 20 channels.
Although sat. companies have been compressing(like D* for me), they are still miles ahead of my two local cable companies(rcn & service electric) both in terms of total HD programming/channels 'and' in PQ.
Could be different elsewhere.
Too bad OTA severley limits your amount of channels, otherwise I'd be all over it.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
In our case Cox cable is far superior to either Dish or DTV in terms of quality on both HD and SD. HD channel selection is not as good. We have about 18 channels in HD.

·
Registered
301 Posts
What they need to do is stop marketing and broadcasting channels that are not true HD...far too many are a joke sucking the life out of the total bandwidth space, channels like A&E, HGTV, CNN and others only show a fraction or no true HD at all.....it needs to stop. This reminds me of a Bose stunt and many will jump on the wagon because it is SUPPOSED to mean something.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
What would you call "true HD?" Where would you draw the line? The horizontal resolution on some bit rate limited 1080i transmissions is still higher than full 720p. Some programs are not produced with 1080i cameras but 720p then upconverted and interlaced. Some stuff is SD upconverted and broadcast on HD channels. Some HD is just produced poorly and looks worse at full bit rates than other productions compressed more. Drawing the line is not easy.

If you are unhappy with the performance, drop the service.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
.... Drawing the line is not easy....
This is true. :yes:

I think that even if there's a line, companies will try anything for their marketing and increase profits :bigsmile:

... If you are unhappy with the performance, drop the service.
I did it ... (well, not exactly 100% for the performance, it was mostly because I wasn't watching Sat programming to often (maybe 4-5 hrs per month) and I was paying like $125/mo), most premium channels (HBO, SHOWTIME, etc.) always shows the same movies ... very rarely there's something new ... :rubeyes:

If I understood correctly, any signal that is upconverted to 1080i or 1080p will be considered HD, Right??? ... in that case I watch everything in HD (or near HD) because supposedly my TV upconverts any signal to at least 1080i :yes: :bigsmile:

·
Registered
746 Posts
This is true. :yes:

I think that even if there's a line, companies will try anything for their marketing and increase profits :bigsmile:

I did it ... (well, not exactly 100% for the performance, it was mostly because I wasn't watching Sat programming to often (maybe 4-5 hrs per month) and I was paying like $125/mo), most premium channels (HBO, SHOWTIME, etc.) always shows the same movies ... very rarely there's something new ... :rubeyes:

If I understood correctly, any signal that is upconverted to 1080i or 1080p will be considered HD, Right??? ... in that case I watch everything in HD (or near HD) because supposedly my TV upconverts any signal to at least 1080i :yes: :bigsmile:
No, upconverted SD is not HD.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
No, upconverted SD is not HD.
According to Satellite /Cable companies ... anything they present in HD channels is HD (even if is just upscaled :bigsmile:)

So ... I'm convinced (after all marketing and commercials) that anything that is showed on HD channels or is upconverted, is HD... :R :yes: :bigsmile:

I don't watch any SD ... everything for me is HD ... :R :rofl2: :joke: :laugh: :D

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm a Dish customer. My wife and I just finished building our HT.

At first I was hot to trot to finish before the Summer Olympics so we could upgrade to HD. We went to the Dish site and looked at the HD offerings. We asked ourselves "after the Olympics, then what?". I'm not a big sports nut. I can get by without seeing the Weather Channel in HD. We can't get local channels in HD (from Dish) where we live. We'd have to buy an OTA antenna and being in the sticks, it will be a pig in a poke. The only programming we're really interested in seeing in HD is PBS and our local station's transmitter is nearly 50 miles away.

We're beginning to feel like we just don't watch enough programming to justify the $70/mo. Dish bill. I'm tired of paying for all the stuff we don't watch. We're seriously considering spending ~$300 for an antenna and tuner. If OTA works out, especially if we can get PBS, then we'll learn to live without HGTV and dump the Dish. We've got 200+ films in our Netflix cue, including series like "Criminal Minds", so I don't think there'll be a lack of content.

Update: You may find this article interesting: http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200808041348DOWJONESDJONLINE000336_FORTUNE5.htm
Doug

1 - 20 of 54 Posts