Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many times have your read that title?

I posted this over at DBSTalk but thought I may as well post it here too, because I know we have members who have these services and may can help me out.

We were with DTV for years, then switched to Dish when they got our locals and DTV did not offer them. DTV finally got locals in our market (negotiated the last network this past May) and we are no longer under contract with Dish. So we are thinking about changing and I want to make sure my justification is sufficient.

With Dish we currently serve four rooms with two 722 receivers and one 612 receiver with AT200 and pay about $120 per month. We do not have the premium channels.

We seem to consistently have issues with these receivers... we have swapped out two 722's and three 612's in the last couple of years. Plus they have had issues with keeping the locals negotiated, we have been without one or another a time or two, granted it was a short time... then AMC for a while (maybe even another channel, can't remember, but it has been several). We just have not been particularly satisfied.

If we switch to DTV we would go with the Genie and three C31 minis (maybe four - extra $50 up front) with the Premier package and only pay about $75 for the first three months and then it jumps to about what we are paying now with Dish for the rest of the year. After that, it jumps up to about $140 per month for the second year.

For two years, comparing the two and considering we get $100 off for a referral and paying the shipping on sending the Dish receivers back... then buying an AM21 ATSC tuner for our main room... it all comes out to about the same cost. However, we do get the Premium channels with DTV, although we don't care much for them, other than I get to watch a few boxing matches. We could actually save if we just went with basically the same channels we have now and not worry with the Premium channels. We would get them for three months, but over the full two years we could save quite a bit.

I want to make sure we are not missing anything. I think the channels are pretty much the same and it appears we will get everything we like in HD. I like that ESPNU is HD with DTV. And as stated above, we'll get a little more for at least three months.

Is there anything that we are going to lose from Dish if we swap? Are there any particular functions with the receivers that are drastically different?

Ordering online with DTV there appears to be zero up front cost, unless we get the extra mini which is $50. Is this all pretty much the same if I order from a local dealer or can they offer a better deal?

Thanks!
Sonnie

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have DTV and no experiences with dish. My main deciding point when first shopping between the two was the entertainment packages. I love NFL ticket (only way to watch my Lions) and AMC. AT the time, DTV had a few more HD channels then Dish. I do not know if this is still true.

I can not speak for the receivers. I know we can record up to two shows at the same time and have a couple hundred hours of programs recorded.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Costco has a $200 cash card rebate for signing up through them by 12/4/12.

My wife and I have considered Costco, but living 50 miles south of the nearest store, we were not sure if we would make up the $55 member fee and gas cost to driver up there, especially when we don't need too much in bulk. We also eat out too much. Signing up through them would cover our fee and give us $145 for shopping. We could stock up on a few things for a while anyway... and use the difference to eat out more often. :thud:

·
Registered
363 Posts
It has been years since my wife and I used Dish Network.
We switched to DirecTV when we moved 6 years ago and we prefer DirecTV.

A lot can change in 6 years, but we had to replace our Dish Network receiver about once a year, because they kept dying. Conversely, we are still using the same old DirecTV receiver we got 6 years ago.
My second comment may not be valid any more, but 6 years ago, if you set a show to record with Dish Network and the show was moved to another time slot or the show was extended, the Dish DVR would record the show's original time slot, period. But DirecTV records the show if it moves or is a special 2-hour version or whatever--as long as the show is on the same channel and as long as it was a planned move, which shows up in the movie listings. In other words, if a show runs over because it was pre-empted by a game running over, it won't record the unplanned move.
Also, with DirecTV, you can say you want only first run, re-runs, or both when you set up to record a show.

These are software or firmware conveniences and may very well have been added to the Dish Network already. I'm not up to date.

Oh, and I recently saw a mention somewhere that DirecTV has something new which can record up to 5 channels at once, which could be handy if there are scheduling conflicts. I haven't looked into it yet, but I think it's time for me to upgrade my DVR to something newer for that feature, but I have no complaints aout this 6 year old DirecTV DVR.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dish has not fixed the recording issue of making sure it records the entire show even if it goes over or gets delayed. It is quite aggravating... and now that you mention it, that is one thing my wife and I have missed since giving up DTV.

The 5 tuner box you are referring to is what we are getting. A Genie with 3 C31 mini clients. The Genie has a 1TB hard drive also. You can watch any recording in any room.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm glad you brought up this discussion, because that got us thinking that we should upgrade to a newer DVR. My wife called today and we have a new Genie DVR on the way. Still, I think it is impressive that this DVR lasted us 6 years, when the Dish Network DVRs had to be replaced once a year when they died.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hey Sonny,

I just signed on the DTV myself. We're also getting the Genie with 3 extral TVs all hooked up (all for free).

I choose the Choice Xtra package with HBO, Starz and Showtime free for 3-months and also free Sunday ticket.

However I cannot tell you the quality or service because it’s not hooked up yet, but they'll be installing it on the 20th after we close on our house.

I think my total purchase per-month is $35.00 because I got $10 off for friend referral for 10-months and also another $10 off because I choose from them to do auto-debit from my bank acct for the monthly bill.

I think the 1st year is a wonderful deal on DTV for the 1st 12 months, but after that 12-months of discounts they’ll stick it to ya!!

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Same setup here Mike... installing this Friday the 9th.

We went through the Costco site and got the $200 cash card, but we also got an additional $10 off for a full 24 months for the auto-debit. Of course there are the normal other discounts for the first year ($30 and another $10) and a smaller amount for the second year. Even after all the discounts run out it will be about the same as we are paying now. In a couple of years we may switch back to Dish if they have enough discounts and the right equipment. Who knows what will be going on by then. :huh:

Dan... same here... constant issues with the Dish receivers and it is aggravating to say the least. 6 years is remarkable... maybe we can get the same from our Genie's.

·
Registered
226 Posts
One poster here that likes Dish. I switched over 10 years ago after being a DTV sub for more than 10 years. Only reason I would go back is if I thought I needed NFL Sunday Ticket, which my brother has so I do not need it. He recently went through an upgrade to the latest whole home DVR system. His upgrade was far from trouble free but he now at least has a working system -well most of the time anyway.

After experiencing both - his system and the dual Hopper system that has been up and running in my home since last April, I prefer the Hopper setup by a large margin. I upgraded from dual 722's and a 612. Single largest improvement is the Joey in our master bedroom. Small form factor and completely silent. I have also had no issues with the system since install.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I considered the Hopper, but it does not have an ATSC tuner and does not offer the ability to add one like the HR34 Genie, which offers the AM21N with USB plug and play. We need it to get our extra local channels. Dish also wanted me to pay $100 and the monthly fees would have increased about $15 over what I was already paying. I just couldn't see paying even more when I can get DTV for so much less and the ability to add the ATSC tuner integrated fully into the guide. The Genie mini-clients are also very small now and allow pause, rewind, etc.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's strange reading so many of you all had receiver issues with Dish. I've had the same two receivers (ViP 612 and ViP 622) since 2008 with no issues at all:dontknow: I switched to DTV and had it installed the Wed before the start of The Walking Dead season 3.

So far my only complaint with DTV has to do with the navigation to see recorded shows and how to check whats scheduled to record. With Dish I just pressed the dvr button twice to show recorded shows or three times to see the scheduled shows. With DTV (unless I'm missing something) you have to navigate through the menu to access both functions and the menu just seems slow and stuttery.

PQ wise DTV seems to have a sharper, clearer picture so far.

As far as billing went I paid about 72/month(no longer getting discounts) which included both HD-DVRs, AT200 w/locals and no premiums.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You would think there would be a button on the remote to go directly to the DVR recordings. Do you have the HR34 Genie?

There is one thing I that has always aggravated me about the Dish DVR is that is will not record delayed shows and the overage. OTOH, DTV will record the entire show even if the time shifts due to delays. You do NOT want to be around my wife when her recorded show gets cut off early because there was a ballgame delay. Go outside... hide... whatever, but don't be nearby. :sarcastic:

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
So far my only complaint with DTV has to do with the navigation to see recorded shows and how to check whats scheduled to record. With Dish I just pressed the dvr button twice to show recorded shows or three times to see the scheduled shows. With DTV (unless I'm missing something) you have to navigate through the menu to access both functions and the menu just seems slow and stuttery.
No. You just hit the 'List' button and the list of recorded shows comes up. As for seeing what's scheduled to record, there may be a quick way to get to it. But I wouldn't know as that isn't important to me so I've never looked for a quick way to get to the 'scheduled' list. You may be able to get to it by hitting the 'List' button twice. :huh:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am glad I got friends in high places to help me figure all this stuff out. Thanks mech... :T

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hey Sonnie - I actually cancelled my previous order and did what you did and order it through Costco.

Its basically the same deal , but i'm getting the $200 gift card which will come in handy buying a new LED / LED for our family room :D

Thanks for sharing .

·
Registered
363 Posts
Just to clarify, my old HR20 DTV DVR will record time-shifted and extended length epsidoes of shows only if it was a planned move or extended length special, meaning it is listed that way in the Guide. It records according to how it is listed in the Guide.

It will not catch the whole show if the move was unplanned, like a sports-related delay.

To compensate for that, I can anticipate a game running over and record the time-slot following the delayed show. Since the Genie has 5 channels that can record at the same time, there shouldn't be too much trouble with recording conflicts when you record extra time.

Alternatively, you can manually add time to either the beginning or ending of any scheduled recording event.

Like I say, it is automatic only if the move or added time was planned and listed in the Guide.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmmm... I seem to remember our old DTV receiver (not sure the model) would shift with a game delay, etc. I am almost??? positive because I think??? I remember that be a major hiccup for my wife when we switched to Dish. I also think someone else confirmed this for the Genie too, but I could very easily be mistaken.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts