Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just ordered a DHC 80.3 and am trying to decide between an Oppo 93 or 95. Are the DACs good enough in the 80.3 to go with the 93, that is what I hope.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I suppose part of the answer to your question is what will you be listening to? Movies, SACD, hi-resolution music downloads? Another part - how good are your ears? By that I mean that as we get older we have hearing loss at high frequencies and I suspect that is where a lot of the difference is between DACs.

I don't have a 80.3, but one thing to consider is that some processors do not apply Audyssey to analog inputs. I have an older Denon that does and a newer one that doesn't. That may be OK with you, but I prefer having room correction EQ on for all sources.

Good choice on the Oppo, by the way. I have a 93 - excellent machine.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Tough call. I have a 95 and an 80.2 and I always use the HDMI in order to take advantage of the processing in the 80.2. It will not redigitize the mch analog inputs and we would not want that anyway. In other words, the 93 would suffice for me. FWIW.

Kal

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I honestly think the BDP-93 is all you need. The Integra uses excellent DAC's. Albeit not World Class like the Sabre DAC's used in the BDP-95. However, even OPPO advocates the 93 when HDMI is going to be the primary connection. Unless you are really serious about 2 Channel or the fact that the 95 literally costs twice as the BDP-93 and or does not have any real financial impact, I simply do not think the juice is worth the squeeze.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point. I am not worried about HT so much, my concern is music and hopefully I can find 2 channel SACD or other like DCD-A in my music. I listen to alternative, pop and some rock. I know the DACs in the 95 are very good but I would not use the multi-channel outs, just stereo analog and HDMI. The 80.3 uses 32 bit burr brown so I got to assume they are very good, maybe not quite the saber in the 95 but close?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FJR said:
Good point. I am not worried about HT so much, my concern is music and hopefully I can find 2 channel SACD or other like DCD-A in my music. I listen to alternative, pop and some rock. I know the DACs in the 95 are very good but I would not use the multi-channel outs, just stereo analog and HDMI. The 80.3 uses 32 bit burr brown so I got to assume they are very good, maybe not quite the saber in the 95 but close?
Oops, I got two more replies while typing the to answer what I listen to.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Hello,
I honestly think the BDP-93 is all you need. The Integra uses excellent DAC's. Albeit not World Class like the Sabre DAC's used in the BDP-95. However, even OPPO advocates the 93 when HDMI is going to be the primary connection. Unless you are really serious about 2 Channel or the fact that the 95 literally costs twice as the BDP-93 and or does not have any real financial impact, I simply do not think the juice is worth the squeeze.
Cheers,
JJ
+1 :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts