Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I have an issue with the display with my 2 and 1/2 year Samsung HLR5678w TV:sad2:.

The picture seems to have red streaks on it which is intermitant. Sometimes the display will be fine, then this issue will appear. I've attached some sample pictures to this posting.

Thoughts on what this could be? Color Wheel? Do you think it is worth fixing or should I just replace the set?

TIA

Amit

Attachments

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Is it the same on all inputs? Analog, digital? Does it affect the menus? Any pattern to when it occurs? Hot, cold?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there

Thanks for the reply. This seems to affect all inputs. My receiver is connected via RCA connections (red, yellow, white) as is my DVD player. I also connected by laptop via the VGA connector, all display the problem. I do not have a HDMI cable or unit that displays HD so cannot test this.

Menu's are also affected as is the PIP feature.

Regards

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
My guess would be a digital board or a DMD board, either will be expensive repairs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. Are there any steps I can take to try and diagnose the faulty component myself?

The TV is out of warranty. I called Samsung, they were quick to schedule a call out, however when I asked them the basic cost for the call out they said they didn't know and the technician that comes onsite will give me the cost.....Surely they should have an approximate cost for call out (weather it be $50, $100 etc)? I understand that depending upon the part that is faulty then there will be extra parts and labor costs.

Any way I can find an authorized Samsung TV shop in my area (without going to through Samsung directly)?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I would have to do some research to know exactly what to look for. That kind of step by step troubleshooting and research is beyond the scope of this forum.

You can call the local servicers and ask. Samsung and other vendors like to try to schedule service calls but it really does not work. They try to use the servicers that will work for nearest to nothing for warranty work, but that means nothing for OOW work other than they may be trying to make up the losses from the warranty jobs. You might find that the best service comes from a non-ASC. Lots of the better shops have dropped them or had Samsung drop them. They have not been one of the easier vendors to work with in recent years and have tried to force many to work for lower rates.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts