Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building my own screen as described in the subject. I've built the frame using 1x select pine, metal brackets and quarter round to hold the fabric away from the frame. It'll be on piano hinges so that I can rotate it up to get to the speakers behind the false wall. I'm using two layers of matte white milliskin. In all this screen will have cost me less than $200. This will also be my first time owning a projection system. In fact I've never seen one in person in a home! I can't wait to see an image this large in my home and feel the pride of building it all myself.

Here's where I'm at with the screen construction:
image-642813619.jpg

The frame is all built. I'm waiting to wrap it with the silk until after I get the HT finished to be sure I don't get it dirty.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Excellent work so far. Do you have any pictures of the back of the frame? I will be building my own frame soon and would like to see you you have it held together. Also, what is your attachment method going to be for the screen?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will get some more pictures posted this coming weekend when I get some time to work on it again. It's basically just T-brackets and L-brackets I bought at Home Dustpan that holds the frame together and squares it up. And I'll be stapling the fabric right to the backside of the frame. I had purchased the screen door materials but decided not to use them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok, I've seen other screen frames with the same bracing so I know what you are talking about. I will definitely be interested to see how well stapling it to the frame works.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the key to stapling the fabric to the frame will be starting in the middle and working my way SLOWLY and carefully along the top edge, then do the same for the bottom edge and then each side, folding the corners like a present. At least that's my plan! I'll let you know how it goes. I plan on putting the staples as far to the edge of the fabric/inside of the frame as possible so that I leave enough fabric in case I don't like the stapled outcome. That way, if I do decide to give the screen door attachment method a try, I'll have enough fabric to do so. The good news is that I don't need to pull the fabric too tight, just taught so that the staples don't project wrinkles in the screen. We'll see!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts