Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
We are debating on doing a 6" flare or not (removable). I have been told that without it it will effect the pattern below 300-500hz. I don't know if that would effect for the MLP or only for other seats though.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Just add the ring/flare around the horn and see how you like it. As long as it is just added with some clamps or other for temporarily assessing should be no worries.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just add the ring/flare around the horn and see how you like it. As long as it is just added with some clamps or other for temporarily assessing should be no worries.
Our problem is getting the angles cut for this flare... I was told most do a 135 degree angle, and the max we can cut with the table saw is a 45 degree angle. My friend is also worried about getting the angles right in the corners. I wonder if i can find a router bit that will give me the angle needed...

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Confused on what is needed, but wouldnt you just need a cut under 90 degrees to make the 135 degrees. I imagine your flare ends in an angled cut so that the out surface is flat.

So 180 degrees minus angle. 180-135=45. 45 /2 = 22.5. So you only need to make two cuts at 22.5 to have a 135 degree angle.

Its how I have done some angled cuts in the past. So I dont remember there being many router bits with angles past 45 degrees because of this.

Hope this makes sense

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
1st horn is completed...except for a couple of putty touch ups and paint. I hope to have room in the HT this weekend so I can bring the first one home. I will post up pics then i get it in the HT.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hopefully I will have it home next week to paint, and install. As soon as the 2x4s show up and the new amp is ready I will run REW and post the results.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have one speaker home now and painted. I still need to do some touch up painting on the speaker, and to tune it. Tuning will be a while as I have no amps right now.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
20170226_154437-1.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
20170226_154459-2.jpg 20170226_154537.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I don't know why it posted multiples of each pic...I can't figure out how to edit it from Tapatalk either.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I am also trying to figure out what I can put on the rack or the speaker to allow the speaker to be moved without damaging the finish. I was thinking maybe some stick on felt pads...ideas?

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Felt pads could work or a cheap soft rug. If I havent finished a cabinet or worried about ruining the finish I just place it on a towel myself. I also have some foam matts that I place under large subwoofers when I have them. Just some ideas.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Felt pads could work or a cheap soft rug. If I haven't finished a cabinet or worried about ruining the finish I just place it on a towel myself. I also have some foam matts that I place under large subwoofers when I have them. Just some ideas.
Currently I have a couple of towels under the Center Channel speaker.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Nice project, I will try to build a synergy in a future, first i need to learn how to simulate it
Do a search for bwaslo on the DIY Audio forums...he has made a simulator for the synergy horn diyers,

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I now have a Klipsch k402 speaker to use as a model for building the Synergy horn(I purchased one brand new). We will be making a box for the stock k402 horn Sunday. I had a friend of mine compare the stock driver to the EV DH1A, and his impression was the EV drivers was much better. He said it was like veils were removed when using the EV drivers compared to the stock Klipsch driver. This is good to know as I have 5 EV drivers on hand now. I hope to also be able to compare the K402 (not modified) to the wood synergy horn this weekend. So far the Synergy doesn't sound very good, but we have a huge hump that needs to be knocked down, and we also need to verify that the compression driver is in phase with the woofers, and that the woofers are in phase with each other too. The power amp is almost completely wired up now. Only a few wires to go.😊😊 I will get the plastic top made at a later date, and will use a piece of mdf to seal it off for now. Once we get relocated... I will get a new piece of plastic for the top made.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
I now have a Klipsch k402 speaker to use as a model for building the Synergy horn(I purchased one brand new). We will be making a box for the stock k402 horn Sunday. I had a friend of mine compare the stock driver to the EV DH1A, and his impression was the EV drivers was much better. He said it was like veils were removed when using the EV drivers compared to the stock Klipsch driver. This is good to know as I have 5 EV drivers on hand now. I hope to also be able to compare the K402 (not modified) to the wood synergy horn this weekend. So far the Synergy doesn't sound very good, but we have a huge hump that needs to be knocked down, and we also need to verify that the compression driver is in phase with the woofers, and that the woofers are in phase with each other too. The power amp is almost completely wired up now. Only a few wires to go. I will get the plastic top made at a later date, and will use a piece of mdf to seal it off for now. Once we get relocated... I will get a new piece of plastic for the top made.
Today we listened to the k402 horn in its new cabinet with the EV DH1a driver, and it sounded great. We compared it to a smaller EV horn with the same driver with both horns being crossed over at 500hz to LA Scala bass bins. The k402 horn sound much fuller on the bottom end than the smaller EV horn driver combo. The EV horn sounds excellent, but the k402 horn takes it up another level. I want to say it sounded even better than the JBL 2360a horn did with the same driver, but that is going by how the JBL sounded in my room, and tune a few months ago. We used the same settings for the MiniDSP that we used on my JBLs, and on the smaller EV horns.

My friend, and I now know why people make the really big horns! BIGGER HORNS SOUND EVEN BETTER! Next we will be tuning the DIY Synergy horn we made, and see how it does compared to the K402, and the EV horn.

I am hoping the Synergy wood version 1 sounds better than the EV/LA Scala bass bin combo...if it does I fully expect the Klipsch 402 wood version to sound even better than the K402/LA Scala bass bin combo does. I will post up how the first Synergy DIY we made compares hopefully in the next week.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Update... the power amp is almost electronically completed...all it needs is power to the boards and each channel tested. I still need have a top made, and I want to modify the front faceplate.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Today I listened to the v1 all mdf Synergy that we built...I was very surprised as to the bass output, but something didn't sound right...the horn sounded like there were veils that needed to be removed. My friend and I listed to various songs, and sometimes it sounded great, and at other times we heard resonances.

One song stood out from the others when we heard was best described as her smacking her lips when she speaks. Has anyone else ever heard this(we did not hear it on the other channel with LA Scala bass bins, and EV horns with EV DH1a drivers)?

When it came to the bass it appeared to go much deeper than the La Scalas setup and having a much warmer sound compared to the La Scalas. On the Dire Straits Brothers in Arms track the Man's Too Strong the Bass sounded much better than the La Scala did, and I was very impressed. The La Scala bass sounded tighter but was over powered by the Synergy bass. We are hoping after the tune is fine tuned the bass will not be overpowering the mids.

My friend is going to run REW on it again to see he can see what might be causing it to have this effect. We are thinking part of it might be we need to turn the gain down on the woofers as there are 2 compared to the La Scalas 1.

Conclusion so far is when it does something right it is really right, but at other times it needs something...

We will continue to work out the bugs, and report back as to what has happened. I will also continue to work on the new horn mod, but I will not be able to compare the two as we will be moving, and v1 will be left with a friend, but I think what we learn from this will help in getting the next one tuned better.

As far as the amp... I should be picking it up this next weekend, and might be able to get some pics of it before it is packed up. I have the front faceplate plate removed currently, but can possible show the layout and wiring. My friend is doing the wiring for me, and verifying everything works for me, and I will not be able to test it out or work on it until we have our household effectsso delivered to our new location. This could be months, but I will post up when we have it.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts