Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back when I was roughly 15, I had thoughts of having a custom subwoofer built.

First before I lay out too much information, I was interested in what design plan would be best for loud deep bass.

-Sealed
-Ported
-Passive Radiators

I am looking to have them all be 18" woofers.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would be best? an Internal Amp, or external?

I havent thought of the power yet, this is my first DIY design...so I will take baby steps...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is just the planning stage, but I dont really have a budget set...

Once I take my new job, I will have alot of spare money...so, budget is not really an issue.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Click on the link in my signature, that will take you to a list of subwoofer builds. Look at the Exodus Audio "Maelstrom-X", Mach 5 Audio "IXL-18", SoundSplinter "RL-p18" and the Fi Car Audio "Q18".

For power you'll need a pair of Behringer EP2500's, and for a high pass filter, the Reckhorn B1 from Creative Sound Solutions.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For an Enclosure I had the idea of a down firing the subs, In a Cube Box. Still looking for advice for what enclosure type would be best.

I was thinking around the lines of the enclosure being around the dimensions of around 59" x 50" x 53"

Unless anyone has any advice against it.

And If it were Ported, I was thinking of one large port.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah. all subs in the box, firing downwards...

lol, it might lift off the ground at high levels. :hide:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ported will work well for what you need. You have plenty of volume for a quad 18 setup. You would be better off dividing the volume by 2 and building 2 separate boxes, with 2 subs in each box.
agreed. Placement is key in any sub setup. Having a quad 18 setup would really limit where you could put it, split it and you have more options. Even if you decided to put them together in the end better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Actually I was considering building 2 of them...:coocoo:

But i am not sure...It might be overkill...or a good way to relieve some pressure on them so they dont have to be anywhere near the peak performance to have it sound like it.

But I have a few questions;

-So Ported would be my best bet?
-If I do 2 duals what if I made them a 4 by 4, with 2 passives in each box?
-What does BL mean?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im currently living in an apartment. These are merely plans I am looking to create for a future build. This is my first DIY period, so no clue where to start.

lol, the current room is a 9x11x7

My plans is to have a larger room in a house in the next couple years. Around 15-20W x 10-15L

·
Registered
261 Posts
So when do you plan to build these? are you going to use them in the apt till you move? The apt b4 I used to live in I couldnt even turn up my pair of standard 12's!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Even in my house now my neighbors say their walls are shaking. Of course Im not just running 2 12's anymore either :hsd:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My 12 does a good enough job, but i move out in less than 6 months.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts