Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make a start to make my own absorbsion panels.
I read a lot about them and wanted to start with some basic panels made from Roxul Safe and Sound. My problem is that where i live (the Netherlands) the have no Roxul, the Dutch company is called Rockwool.
Unfortunately, they have no panels with that name. So i called a Rockwool account manager to ask what i could use that came as close as possible to the 'safe and sound'. He said that i need the 212 (http://rwiumbracobn.inforce.dk/media/282085/tp_deltaplaat_212_nl.pdf). The problem is that i must order a batch and the construction company's rearly use this.

What could i use as alternative for 70mm Safe and Sound? Should i (besides the thickness) just look at the weight per m3?
Some peaple say i should use glasswool like This

I'm confused with the many differend products rockwool has, and i can't find any absorption numbers in the specs.

Who can help me with this?

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Either can work pending the density. You want in most cases something equivalent to 3lb/cu ft.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Skip the foam - basically worthless. Rockwool can work if the right density. Just a pain to cut and work with.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I hope I'm not stepping on toes by posting this here but it seemed to be a good place to avoid somewhat duplicate threads.

I'm building some 24" X 48" absorption panels which will use 1 X 4 frames and have the Rockwool 60 2" thick panels covered with Burlap.

Some videos I've sees show the rockwool panels being stuffed inside thin plastic bags before covering to insure the fibers don't escape.

I am considering using Drycleaning bags.

good idea?

bad idea?

doesn't matter?

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
I hope I'm not stepping on toes by posting this here but it seemed to be a good place to avoid somewhat duplicate threads.

I'm building some 24" X 48" absorption panels which will use 1 X 4 frames and have the Rockwool 60 2" thick panels covered with Burlap.

Some videos I've sees show the rockwool panels being stuffed inside thin plastic bags before covering to insure the fibers don't escape.

I am considering using Drycleaning bags.

good idea?

bad idea?

doesn't matter?
Are you using (2) 2" thick for each panel, or just one? We used (2) 2" thick Roxul R80 panels for each first reflection point and it worked great.

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts