Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking about doing a diy sub for my new ht room. I currently have an SVS PB13 Ultra (which I love, fantastic sub!) but i'm going to be having a AT screen and will probably be building a false wall to house the speakers so I thought I'd look at doing some diy subs for in the bottom of the wall. The dimensions for the room are 4.5mx3.98mx2.4m. (the speakers/projector screen are actually in a recess that is 3.4m across and extends out about 1m)

What im wanting to do is keep how far the false wall comes out to about 500mm-600mm (speakers im looking at are about 350mm deep) but the box can extend the entire width of the false wall. I love my PB13 because it goes loud and low, so that's what I'm aiming for with the diy solution. I'm open to suggestions on drivers/amplification. Budget is about $2000aud but can be extended if need be and obviously, im in Australia, so i assume that will effect what I can source.

Any help will be greatly appriciated.

Matt

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
18mm MDF would be fine. For simplicity well call it 20 mm MDF. Internal measurements would be 3360 mm x 460 mm x 760 mm. That works out to 41.25 cu.ft. or 1168 liters. How far do you want to take this? You have enough volume and budget to create a real low end monster. Here's an example. A pair of IXL-18's in 800 liters tuned to 14 hz powered by a Behringer EP2500 would produce over 125 db down to 15 hz with room gain. And that's without the SVS PB13 Ultra. :blink: A pair of subs is $628.00

http://www.affordabledrivers.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_16&products_id=1

I'll guess a EP2500 is under $500 in Australia, and add $200 for everything else.

OZ IXL.JPG

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2x18" subs sounds like it would be awesome!

I'm in :)

Cost is less than expected too, so that'll always win brownie points with the wife :)

What kind of adjustments will need to be made Mike?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there a point where the box could be too big? Is 800L an optimal size?

With regards to the port, it's just a single 25cm diameter port? (obviously front firing as it's going to be in a false wall)

I'm going to try and give sketchup a shot this weekend (if i get time, got a baby coming in 7 weeks and still need to finish the nursery off!) and try to sketch what I'm thinking.

Matt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts