Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You have done a great job with those traps, have you noticed an improvement?
Thanks but really they were just thrown together real quick and wrapped with fabric just to contain the minwool fibers. IF I decide to keep them then I'll make a 3/4" frame for the front so the fabric is nice and tight and the frame could be screwed to the wall and give a cleaner look. Being self supportive they are a tad flimsy lol. But wanted to see if they worked. Total cost = $30 for the panels and some fabric about $40 total for two 6' tall panels. They clearly made "some" improvement but not sure if it was enough to justify the work.

I can't say how much fully untill I redo the Dirac to see if there is any changes to that.

EDIT: You know after looking at the graphs I decided to to just match both before/after to determine the first 20db loss and compare. I was looking at 40db and unfortunately up till now I realized I had the input gain in windows set wrong so my max testing db was 90db which would cause conflicts with clipping... once I turned that down to 0db on the mic I can now test to 120db. I'm going to have to redo my tests but this is comparing a 20db down from initial playback level and compared a previous test to after. This shows a bigger picture.

I really need to retest and plan on doing that tonight. here is my initial findings:

(I can't really compare 40db down since I was not 40db higher than my noise floor. I will retest tonight with a 40db higher than noise floor and see the difference)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
The spectrogram shows to be a huge improvement... but I also played the AFTER about 5db louder which I think the before graph is showing my noise floor.

Again... I need to re-test at 40db above noise floor.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
And here is the FR

Again... I really need to do a better instantaneous side by side test to see the difference which is why I wanted to make the panels self supportive (within reason - a thumb tack to hold em in place) so I can do a before/after test quick and effortless.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
OK... I found a subwoofer before/after that was the same db test a true before/after but on different days. I do know my furnace is what rings at 45hz so that is room noise. I can turn the a/c off and that hump is gone complately. Nothing I can do about it since I have non dedicated space. I need to make sure to turn everything off when I do my tests to help consistency.

You can see on these tests the difference was "subtle"
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,786 Posts
They clearly made "some" improvement but not sure if it was enough to justify the work.
In my opinion any amount you can do is better than none...plus it makes it easier on the Dirac to tune the room. :T:T
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
In my opinion any amount you can do is better than none...plus it makes it easier on the Dirac to tune the room. :T:T
True. I didn't think of that really. Even if it only helped a couple of db like 2 at the most then thats 2 less that Dirac has to work out. Less stress in essence.

I don't have the room to do diagonals in the back of the room corners but I could do some 18"x8"x40" chunks. Not sure if that would help but I could try that too. They would have to fit flush into the corners like this:
 

Attachments

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Top