Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

Premium Member
Joined
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Hopefully it will work... 馃

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
 

Premium Member
Joined
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I am currently redoing the wood side panels as I didn't like the way the water based poly finish came out. I sanded them down and started to apply Hormbys lemon oil to them. So far they look 100% better. I will post up pics whenever I get them to the level I was thinking them to be. I also need to make the wood shelving for the plexi too, and oil it too.

I also just received a pair of USB panel mount Jacks that will be mounted above and below the power jack on the back panel. I also have decided to get a wall wart for the minidsps instead of the separate power supply. Another change is that I will be mounting 2 boards to each plate instead of one. The reason for this is we have the space to space the amps further apart from each other which I am thinking will also keep them cooler.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
 

Premium Member
Joined
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I got a little progress today... I removed all the modules, and mounted them 2 to a support, and did a temp install of the rear plate. I also refinished the side panels. I have one more plate with 2 amp modules left to install. Once that is done I will be making the support wood strips for the top cover, and the rear panel support. Then we should be ready to start wiring it all up. As you can see we eliminated the 24v power supply, and will be going with a wall wart to power up the minidsps. I know I can use the USB to power the minidsps, but I feel safer with a wall wart as USB has not always been reliable in my experience. I would not be happy if the USB failed, and sent full range to my horns while cranking.

I still haven't figured out what I want to do with the the window on the front of the amp either.


Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
 

Premium Member
Joined
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Sorry for the delay...we have moved to Mexico, and I should have my equipment out of storage by the beginning of February. When I packed it up it was all wired, and had been tested to make sure it worked properly, and didn't have any hiss by a friend of mine. If everything survived I will be making the top for the amp, and then decide what to do with the faceplate. This will be the first time I have heard the amp on my setup. It will also be the first time I have tried my JBL surround speakers as front channels. I am planning in making 3 new front channel speakers for our living room, and that will be what the DIY amp will be hooked up to until we get to a bigger place (also one we will own instead of renting) and get the theater going again. I need to make a new entertainment rack soon too for our living room...so much to do and so little money to do it with.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
 

Premium Member
Joined
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Update on the amp.

I purchased a Krell clone case...which is being modified. We are making a new center piece, back panel, and rear rack mount handles. The new amp will have 7 B&O 125w modules modded to balanced, and 3 50w BTL modules. We have 3 smaller amps for the horns on the front channels, and the big amps are for the front 3 woofers, and 4 surrounds. The amp will have 10 XLRs, 10 Speakon outputs, and 3 Powercon connectors. We are using 3 con sectors so we can power up the amp we need when we need them, and power down when not needed. We will be using one power connector to power the front 2 channels, one for the center, and surrounds, and another for the rear surrounds. We will have 3 power switches on the front with 7 LEDs to indicate modules are on.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
 
61 - 66 of 66 Posts
Top