Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on constructing a DIY, curved screen. Frame will be wood, substrate will be sintra or other foamcore board, with canvas adhered to that. Will be a 5x8' size. Any reason BW wouldn't be a good choice for a rolled on paint?

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Planning on constructing a DIY, curved screen. Frame will be wood, substrate will be sintra or other foamcore board, with canvas adhered to that. Will be a 5x8' size. Any reason BW wouldn't be a good choice for a rolled on paint?
Welcome to HTS! :wave:

As Mech has said, BW™ can be rolled just fine; but I'm a bit confused why you want to paint a curved screen with it. Screens are usually curved to minimize hot spotting caused by too glossy a finish in an attempt to raise peak gain, BW™ isn't even close to hot spotting.

Sintra isn't a foam core product (such as Gatorboard), but rather a solid PVC foam. I don't know why you would want to glue canvas to it since that would only add to the screen surface texture. I would simply paint the Sintra. :huh:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I just wasn't sure how well you could roll on the paint on a smooth surface. Would it in fact "lay down" well? I'm just really used to canvas and thought it would hide better.

As for the curved, I just really want a curved screen.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Ok, I just wasn't sure how well you could roll on the paint on a smooth surface. Would it in fact "lay down" well? I'm just really used to canvas and thought it would hide better.
The only sample of Sintra I ever saw was not smooth like plexiglass, but had a bit of texture to it to hold paint.

I've never painted canvas, but don't I recall it shrinking a little after it is painted? I would think that would play hob with the canvas if it was glued down to a hard surface.

As for the curved, I just really want a curved screen.
OK. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, I had no idea it had texture. If that's the case, I will likely forgo the canvas. Is it easily dented or damaged? Sorry, I have no experience with it....I thought it was foamcore

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Oh, I had no idea it had texture. If that's the case, I will likely forgo the canvas. Is it easily dented or damaged? Sorry, I have no experience with it....I thought it was foamcore
Most places that sell Sintra describe it like this "Sintra is a lightweight yet rigid board of moderately expanded closed-cell polyvinyl chloride (PVC) extruded in a homogenous sheet with a low gloss matte finish.". While it IS a foam board, it is not a foam core covered in paper or plastic.

The piece that was sent to me definitely has a texture to it to hold paint, but I have temporarily misplaced it (that sounds a lot better than saying "lost" doesn't it? :whistling:) so I can't take a close-up photo of it. Perhaps Mech has some of his samples available yet. He was sent newer samples than mine, but I would think they too have some texture to hold paint since making signboards is one of the main uses of Sintra.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When rolling on a paint such as the Black Widow on a smooth substrate such as sintra, is it advisable to add a flow aid of any sort to wet out and decrease roller marks?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
No discernible texture really at all:

It's about on par with a sprayed screen. The back side had a touch more texture than the front side.

When rolling on a paint such as the Black Widow on a smooth substrate such as sintra, is it advisable to add a flow aid of any sort to wet out and decrease roller marks?
You shouldn't need to. It takes a bit of time for the paint to dry so you should have more than enough time to take care of any roller marks.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
The only such aid I have tried is the one made for latex house paints called Floetrol. While most people that use Black Widow™ haven't found they needed it, it would not hurt to use it. If folks had a problem with roller marks they normally just added a bit of distilled water to thin the mix. Very few people have had problems with roller marks when rolling BW™.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts