Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... Been a while since I posted.
I have a situation maybe someone can give me some help with?
I have subwoofer (Mirage Substrata 1000) the plate amp is toast! My tech checked it and he said "chuck it" !
So I'm only using it to plug up the opening at the back of the sub.
Now my problem is I measured the woofer and it measures 19 ohms. It is a long throw 12" inch driver and it looks like it is built like a brick out house.
Is there any way to "safely" reduce the impedance of this woofer? Say to half or something that an off the shelf plate amp will be comfortable with it?
My thought is that a 19 ohm woofer will suck too much power out of a plate amp designed to rock a 4 ohm driver... Am I correct?

Is this a worth while venture trying to work with this thing or should I just chuck the box and woofer... Not really but maybe sell it in my next yard sale:bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
I'm not aware of any way to lower the impedance of a sub. Maybe somebody else knows something.

My thought is that a 19 ohm woofer will suck too much power out of a plate amp designed to rock a 4 ohm driver... Am I correct?

It's the other way around. 400 watts at 4 ohms would be 200 watts at 8 ohms and 100 watts at 16 ohms. If there is no solution to lowering the sub from 19 ohms then sell it. It's not worth the trouble in my opinion.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts