Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've cut the cable cord for a while now and plan to build a coat hanger antenna but our local PBS station is broadcasting on ch11 (12.1 digital) with a very low broadcast strength. I'm in a ground floor apartment and my wife is not so keen on me getting too crazy with my antenna build so I'm looking for help to figure out a VHF mod for the UHF DIY antenna.

I've located the station but I have buildings and a large bridge in the signal path.

This is all very new to me so I'm looking for any help I can get.

Thanks
-rabbit

·
Registered
5,772 Posts

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I've cut the cable cord for a while now and plan to build a coat hanger antenna but our local PBS station is broadcasting on ch11 (12.1 digital) with a very low broadcast strength. I'm in a ground floor apartment and my wife is not so keen on me getting too crazy with my antenna build so I'm looking for help to figure out a VHF mod for the UHF DIY antenna.

I've located the station but I have buildings and a large bridge in the signal path.

This is all very new to me so I'm looking for any help I can get.

Thanks
-rabbit
I am not sure what you are wanting or what you mean by "VHF mod for the UHF DIY antenna." There are many variations, but the bottom line is that VHF is lower frequency so you have to have longer elements for effective reception. Many of the popular DIY UHF antennae do not translate well to vhf designs. VHF is tough in an apartment with low signal level just because of the the size of the antenna needed.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've found an indoor UHF that should work well but the worst/non-existent station is a VHF. I was wondering how to modify an antenna to get both.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Google [Gray-Hoverman DIY] great simple ant for HDTV OTA. you can make one quick for inside with cardboard and foil to test with then around 30-50 to make a decent outdoor model that will work like a $100+ unit. make 2 and sell one for costs, the second one will be cheaper if you get the parts right. ALSO, I have found "TVFOOL" results off by around 20deg counter clock wise in my location (perhaps due to obstructions)with a very directional Yagi. So don't lock anything down until you test.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The G-H antenna is UHF.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jasonpctech said:
Google [Gray-Hoverman DIY] great simple ant for HDTV OTA. you can make one quick for inside with cardboard and foil to test with then around 30-50 to make a decent outdoor model that will work like a $100+ unit. make 2 and sell one for costs, the second one will be cheaper if you get the parts right. ALSO, I have found "TVFOOL" results off by around 20deg counter clock wise in my location (perhaps due to obstructions)with a very directional Yagi. So don't lock anything down until you test.
I'm on the ground floor with the GNO and a parking garage between me and the tower :(

Im worried I'll have to go big and WAF is a big deal.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to resurrect a old topic but I'm wondering if I could just run a massive fm T antenna (dipole) across my crown molding? Would this work to get VHF and UHF? I've been trying to read up on antenna theory and frankly it's ether over my head or so basic it tells me nothing.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
You won't get great results, but depending on your location it might work. Untuned dipoles usually result in not much better reception than a short bit of wire.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you point me in the direction of an effective low profile way to boost my VHF reception? I'm effectively in a pit with respect to RF obstructions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts