Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a round of emails with the Rythmik Audio guys I've decided on the DS1501 kit with the 370W XLR plate amp.

The first problem was that they don't have box plans for this kit in a front-firing configuration so I had to go and teach myself SketchUp. I had originally designed a 3cu ft enclosure but after reviewing the plans Rythmik suggested that I build a 4cu ft enclosure instead.

The resulting plans with cut-sheets and detailed dimensions can be found here.

With much help from my dad* we got to work on it this past Sunday. Per the plans, everything except the front baffle is cut from 3/4" MDF. This is the first time using a Jasper circle jig and now I understand why everybody is so crazy about them. All the interior pieces are being joined with glue and pocket holes as it's relatively painless with a jig.

Here's a couple of photos of the build so far.

Interior brace assembly and my dad's hand

Completed interior bracing

The next step will to be to tack the outside on and drill out the holes for some t-nuts to mount the amp and driver, which I expect to tackle next weekend. The exterior pieces will simply be screwed in with countersunk screws, then covered up with filler and sanded down. After that, I'm planning on painting the box to match the existing Axiom speakers I have in my theater, which are conveniently finished in a flat grey surface so I'm not going to have to screw around with veneer.

I'll post more pics as the project continues!

* by "much help", I mean "let my dad do all the work while I mostly just stand there looking funny." The "royal we" will be used liberally throughout this post.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Excellent bracing!

From what I have heard about Rythmik subs your going to have a great sub when it's done:clap:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Looks great! I've heard many good things about Rythmik too. I like the concept of feedback and synthetic Theil-Small characteristics.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it's only 7 months later - what can I say, it was summer! Now it's cold again in Michigan so back to the shop.

Starting with the bottom
We've glued the edges of the center assembly to the bottom, and then countersunk some wood screws through each side into the center piece. Everything has pilot holes drilled to prevent splitting the MDF.

Front and four sides

Front view of completed box body
Filling in the screw holes with wood filler. This will take a couple fill/dry/sand cycles to get it where I like it. All edges have a ¼" quarter-round to keep it from getting dinged up.

Laying a bead of silicon to seal the edges
Each piece is gorilla glued along each edge, but this needs to be completely air-tight so I've run a bead of silion sealant along the interior edges.

I'll be doing some more fill/sand and sealing next, then it will be ready for paint!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the box filled and sanded, along with the polyfill that Rythmik included with the kit.

For a grill, I used a recent business trip to Dayton as an excuse to stop by PartsExpress and pick up their grill kit. The kit is pretty sharp, but I'm dumb and kinda screwed up mounting the speaker cloth to the grill. The good news is that the kit has enough rails to make 2 grills, so I've just bought the corner pieces so I can take another shot at it.

I really have no facilities to paint this beast and I wanted it done right so I've sent it off to a friend of mine with a paint booth, HPLV gun, and most importantly the skills to wield it for the price of paint and some beer. The almost-final box (sans front grill) should be complete on Friday.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm very impressed with the work that you have done. My goal is to build a sub myself and seeing how you did it is inspirational. Have you had much previous experience in wood working?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm very impressed with the work that you have done. My goal is to build a sub myself and seeing how you did it is inspirational. Have you had much previous experience in wood working?
Only very little, but keep in mind the disclaimer up above - my dad is largely responsible for what you see here, not to mention the source for the ridiculous assortment of tools available to me. Without him I think I could have eventually arrived at a similar result, but it would have taken me a lot more cussing (and a lot more material), and I still would have used his shop.

Not that I want to discourage anyone from trying! Still, I'm not one to ignore the capabilities my friends and family bring to the table when I'm looking for big bottom-end sound :bigsmile:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Only very little, but keep in mind the disclaimer up above - my dad is largely responsible for what you see here, not to mention the source for the ridiculous assortment of tools available to me. Without him I think I could have eventually arrived at a similar result, but it would have taken me a lot more cussing (and a lot more material), and I still would have used his shop.

Not that I want to discourage anyone from trying! Still, I'm not one to ignore the capabilities my friends and family bring to the table when I'm looking for big bottom-end sound :bigsmile:
When you are done with you dad, can I borrow him for a few months? Oh, make sure that he brings his tools with him. What is his favorite beer?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow looks real nice, any update?

I had originally designed a 3cu ft enclosure but after reviewing the plans Rythmik suggested that I build a 4cu ft enclosure instead.

Why did they change the internal volume? That also seem like a pretty substantial change, ~25%. What does that generally do when you increase the internal volume of a sealed system?

Thanks Bob

·
Registered
47 Posts
Subscribed! I too am curious about the volume change and how it sounds. MDF is curiously in short supply where I live but I built the rest of my speakers out of 3/4" baltic birch (11 ply), sans paint, and would like to build a sub to match.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts