Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people. Long time lurker, newbie to posting.

I'm looking to build a screen for my basement home theater set up. I'm looking at Wilsonart Designer White or Fashion Gray laminates and/or painting options (S I L V E R or Silver fire). I am heavily leaning towards a paint free option (with the idea I could paint these options in the future). See details on my set up below. Any advise is welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Projector: Epson 8350
Distance from screen: 11 ft
Position of projector: behind wall in storage area
Size of Screen: Flexible. Thinking 85" - 95" diagonal
Screen materials considering: Wilsonart DW or FG (or other), painted mdf, other?
Ceiling: white drywall
Walls: white wainscoting lower, light tan upper
Lighting: recessed
Windows: none
Painting walls an option?: Not if I want to stay happily married.:paddle:

Thanks again for any advise!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback Mechman. Painting is certainly a polarizing topic. I'm hoping to love the performance without paint. I hooked up the projector and speakers 2 weeks ago. I look forward to making the screen over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Welcome to HTS Amos54! :wave:

Painting is certainly a polarizing topic.
You have apparently spent some time on another DIY screen forum that touts SILVER and Silver Fire since you are considering those screen mixes. Despite what you may read at that forum, we don't recommend those mixes because they don't perform as advertised, nowhere near as advertised; and not out of spite. Please read the facts here (objective, not subjective) about these mixes before you try them unless you just want to experiment for yourself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the advice. You're right. I've been reading at several online forums. My head is spinning. I'm all for data when available. I will likely go with the FG as a start. Any strong advice on most preferred means to get a black border around the screen? Was planning to go with velvet wrapped trim pieces.

Thanks again. Love the site.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Any strong advice on most preferred means to get a black border around the screen? Was planning to go with velvet wrapped trim pieces.

Thanks again. Love the site.
Either the velvet wrapped trim or you could google duvetyne tape/velvet tape. The tape would be very easy and probably a tad bit cheaper than the velvet wrapped trim. I'd use the 3" tape. :T

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which thickness is "best" for the Wilsonart FG- 1/16 or 1/32? I plan to build a frame from 1x4 poplar. Also, has any seen good prices recently? I will be buying a 4X8' sheet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I found the answer on thickness. Suggestions on good places to buy?
General Purpose (HGS) Type 107
Thickness 0.048” ± 0.005” (1.22mm ± 0.13mm)
Weight per square foot- .322 lbs
10.3 pounds for a 4x8 sheet

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I can't help you with a place to buy WA laminate, but the "box" stores (Home Depot, Lowe's) are usually the most expensive; many times smaller local hardware stores or building material outlets may have it cheaper. If you have the time, look at as many potential sources as possible to find the best price.

If you buy the laminate in thin sheets be aware that it must be glued to a backing substrate of some kind for support. Also, laminate is quite brittle and can crack fairly easily until it's glued to a substrate.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I think I found the answer on thickness. Suggestions on good places to buy?
General Purpose (HGS) Type 107
Thickness 0.048” ± 0.005” (1.22mm ± 0.13mm)
Weight per square foot- .322 lbs
10.3 pounds for a 4x8 sheet
Enter your zip here. Then call around. :T

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Found a what appears to be a good price locally. If anyone is in the Albany NY area and are interested in the specifics, send a private note and I'll let you know. (I think posting of prices here is frowned upon :scratch:)

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Found a what appears to be a good price locally. If anyone is in the Albany NY area and are interested in the specifics, send a private note and I'll let you know. (I think posting of prices here is frowned upon :scratch:)
By all means, post the price! :T I believe you're thinking of a different forum. From the rules:

You are welcome to post prices of products or services that are on topic to a thread.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the clarity.

I orderd a 4'x8' sheet of fashion gray (D381-60-107) at a local shop (Curtis Lumber) for $60. I should have the product in 1 week (2 sheets were in stock in their local warehouse).

I look forward to fully applying both left hands and building the frame!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The screen arrived (in 2 days). Off to pick up my framing material.

I am using fashion gray with an Epson 8350. Does any one have any recommendations for color (color, contrast, etc...) settings for this set up? I will zero it in in time, but wanted to see if there were any general recommendations to get to "nearly great" quickly. I think it already looks pretty good now, but I'm sure it can be much better. I've been using factory default settings on an off-white wall.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Calibration settings are really specific to your setup. Rarely will someone else's settings work for you. If you looking for a simple way to dial in your pj, look for the THX optimizer on some of your content. You're bound to have it on something you own. :T

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Built the base frame this weekend. A friend (with a table saw) is going to make a french cleat for me. I took photos of the process so that I could eventually post a step by step for newbies. I thought a simple basic frame how to might be useful. Maybe such a guide already exists. I found tons of useful info (and used a lot of it), but dont remember a step by step how-to. Here's a photo of the base frame and set up. If you think people would appreciate a step by step how to AND my frame is "reasonable", I'll try to follow up in a few weeks once I am finished.

Right now my plan is to attach the screen with screws and then use magnets to hold the velvet wrapped outer frame (made from 45 degree cut 1 x 4 poplar). I don't love the magnet idea.. but I don't one that I like better. Any suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My intent was to go without a substrate. I was planning on using several screws around the exterior. I then will attach the velvet wrapped black border to the frame shown in the photo above. That is what I was thinking. Any issues here? I've seen some people screw the wilsonart into walls... i thought I could screw into the frame (with pre-drilling).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts