Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I'm using BW in my family room. Wandering if the BW will work or look at something else. Here is a picture of my room. :help:

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Right now I'm using BW in my family room. Wandering if the BW will work or look at something else. Here is a picture of my room. :help:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :D

If anything, you could go with a darker screen; but before you even think about doing that I would see what image you get with the 5020 on your current BW™ screen. Personally, I think that if the image is too bright and if I couldn't tame it using the PJ's settings I would buy a neutral density filter for the PJ - that way you can easily compensate as the lamp ages and the image gets dimmer.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well guys the PQ on Hugo was very good no one complained and what to see more 3D movies. Going to watch Avengers 3D next weekend.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. It took awhile in getting the room the way I wanted it. Now it's time to enjoy it with family and friends.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You bet..nothing like having your own private theater room and enjoying it with family and friends..enjoy it to the fullest.:bigsmile:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK guy's after watching 3D movies the last two weeks the PQ is good. But the problem is the picture is not bright enough. I need something with more gain any ideas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice screen! - looks like you made the wise choice of using an anamorphic aspect ratio for your screen. From what I have been reading, your best choice to increase brightness would be to add an anamorphic lens to your projector. Move the projector as close as you can to the screen with the widest possible zoom setting to produce the brightest possible image to fill a height to fill a 16x9 aspect image. Then, using a Blue Ray player (or receiver capable of the vertical stretch – to convert your anamorphic images into a 16x9 image (in 3d mode (I have found many receivers that will to the vertical stretch but have yet to find one that confirms 3d vertical stretch) -you'll have to do some searching for the correct device - if you choose the 3d - blue ray player with vertical stretch for about a thousand be aware that not all 3d blue ray disks can be stretched with that player. Be sure to read the owners manual on-line for stretching for anamorphic images). Then you must add an anamorphic lens to horizontally stretch the vertically stretched image to fill your Cinamascope screen. You can expect to increase brightness by just over 30 percent as the black bars above and below a 16x9 aspect ratio window will be lit. You can build an anamorphic lens for about a hundred dollars or spend thousands for a slightly better lens. Be aware that adding an anamorphic lens that is not made with excellent optical glass will usually produce rainbow effects on the edges. A white pixel on the extreme sides will separate into the colors of the rainbow. Overall, a vast improvement over not using the lens. - Also note, if your prisms used to build the lens are not coated, you can expect a light reflected band near the middle of your screen (lens flair). Focus on the outer edges can also be a slight factor – some have build a curved screen to accommodate this condition. I haven't played with anamorphic lenses (yet) Some use a curved screen. Many people add a sled to move the anamorphic lens back and forth so you can watch your 16x9 images nice and sharp without the lens. Good luck.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I can't find any numbers for the 5020 but the 3010 is plenty bright on my Elite Cinegray which is fairly close to BW™ in performance. I've even been thinking that I may paint my Cinegray in the spring with BW™ just because the 3010 is so bright. :scratch:

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I can't find any numbers for the 5020 but the 3010 is plenty bright on my Elite Cinegray which is fairly close to BW™ in performance. I've even been thinking that I may paint my Cinegray in the spring with BW™ just because the 3010 is so bright. :scratch:
If i remember correctly, 3010 calibrated gives around 650 lumens.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
If i remember correctly, 3010 calibrated gives around 650 lumens.
And that's eco mode I believe. Normal shoots out even more.

I think with the 5020 it's just 169 lumens more then 5010.
And I believe the 5010 had around 14fL (~392 lumens) on a 100" screen in eco mode (13fL in Dynamic 3D mode), while my 3010 is 23fL (~650 lumens) and 17fL respectively. Using these numbers from the elite projector calculator, you'd have around 20fL for eco mode. I haven't looked to see how the 5020 handles 3D mode yet. These numbers take into consideration about 500 hours on the bulb.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts