Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this forum could use a DIY thread, so here goes.

Komatex 6mm
Sherwin Williams Unique Gray
48"x82" (~90" 16:9 screen)

Couple questions.

1) Which side of the komatex should I paint on?

2) Do I need two coats? If yes, how long do I need to wait before painting the second coat?

I'll update with pics as I make progress...

·
Registered
279 Posts
1) Which side of the komatex should I paint on?
Doesn't really matter. Check both sides for any blemishes, paint the side with none. If both equal, paint the smoother side. IMPORTANT: I've some sheets of Sintra and Komatex that have a very thin protective plastic film protecting one side. It's sometimes difficult to tell it's there. Pick at an edge and see if there's a film. If there is, remove it and clean the surface with rubbing alcohol before painting that side.

2) Do I need two coats? If yes, how long do I need to wait before painting the second coat?
Yes. Depends on your environment. The surface should be dry to the touch before the second coat. Could be 30 minutes, could be hours. If in doubt, wait longer.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the warning with the plastic cover. i'll check it out when i get it home tomorrow.

per instructions on the can. it said 1hr for dry to touch and 4 hours for recoat.

that means i need to wait for at least 4 hours to do second coat?

·
Registered
49 Posts
thanks for the warning with the plastic cover. i'll check it out when i get it home tomorrow.

per instructions on the can. it said 1hr for dry to touch and 4 hours for recoat.

that means i need to wait for at least 4 hours to do second coat?
What Nak said, no recoat for 4 hours and I just did mine a week ago with Unique Gray. U will need 2 coats no question, 1/4 roller have had problems with the 3/16 with other paints might not be an issue with the SW. There have been some people on other forums who had issues with the SW PC paint lifting when they rolled the 2nd coat and they waited 2 hours, just not enough time with that paint. Its a very interesting paint the way it levels itself out. Roller left to right first coat then 2nd coat right to left. Paint it like a wall doing about a third of the screen meaning roll at angles then drag the roller from the top to the bottom in a straight line over that 3rd of the screen with a light touch that u painted then move on to the next third of the screen. Use a squirrel mixer to mix the paint before painting. I blot the roller ends with a paper towel when I load the paint cause you rub each side in the roller tray and it can load more paint on each end of the roller.

Obviously since u can't recoat for 4 hours wrap the roller with plastic wrap completely meaning I take it off the handle wrap it up throw it in the fridge take it out an hour before you are gonna recoat leaving it in the plastic wrap for the hour. If you are using disposable paint trays which I use I cheat, as soon as I get the first coat on I wash it out with soap and hot water to use again but you need to work fast meaning as soon as you are done with the first coat wash it. You don't want that paint to sit in the tray for 4 hours even if you wrap it good just trying to take no chances as better to do the 2nd coat with a clean tray. I pour in what I think I will need for the first coat if you have to add more to finish that coat just add more with the intention want as little paint in there to waste when I wash it. I usually take a small brush and wipe the paint from the dis tray back into the paint can not wasting much. Again before the 2nd coat squirrel mix the paint.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Ditto on what these guys are saying. :T

If you don't wait long enough for the 1st coat to dry properly applying the 2nd coat will actually lift the 1st coat off the panel! Been there, done that... one of the reasons I prefer spraying. ;)

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
my wife's brother has a spray. maybe i'll try and borrow it.
It MUST be a HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) sprayer or you will waste a lot of paint and get large amounts of overspray and bounce-back (paint that hits the item being spreayed, but bounces off into the air). If the sprayer doesn't have "HVLP" in the name somewhere you are better off rolling. I believe the SW ProClassic performs better when rolling since enough paint is put on at one time to actually flow and produce a smoother surface as it is designed to.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok. i guess i am a bit more comfortable rolling. just did ceiling couple days ago. guess that counts as an experience in my back pocket. lol

looks like i also need to get another roller cover for the second coat.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i was told NOT to use a circular saw to cut Sintra/Komatex because it's gonna chip bad.

so what tool would you use to cut it down to size? thanks

·
Registered
279 Posts
3mm you can cut with a utility knife. Better yet, have the shop you buy it from cut it. 6mm, have the shop cut it. Scoring Sintra has not worked out well for me.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks guys!

i bought the sheet at a wholesaler for $44. my wife's brother had a business account. they don't cut it.

i was able to cut it down to size with a new utility knife. scored it about 6-7 times. i then sanded the edges with some 3M 220 grit sandpapers, which i had a bunch lying around from my speakers build.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
here's the frame where it will be mounted with french cleat. you can also see the rope lighting around the frame.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
and here's the first coat of paint on. you guys with expert eyes let me know if this is passable for a screen.

again, i am not a guy with much painting experience so i hope it comes out alright. second coat in about 5 hours.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Paint looks fine as long as there are no runs. With regards to the lights, it has been my experience that you need them fairly close to the edge of the screen for them to be effective. On my old screen I started out with them in about a foot. That didn't work well at all in my opinion. I then moved them out to about 3 inches or so from the edge.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts