Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have created the following spreadsheet to compare a number of DIY screens. I am posting it here and on another forum to hopefully assist others who are in the same position I was a month ago.

Spreadsheet Link

Spreadsheet Link Click the following link to open the live spreadsheet with embedded links to all sources and comments. Spreadsheet Link

Color Comparison

Not just the commonly spec'd gain and color are compared but more real world factors such as cost and number of ingredients. Again, I originally created this spreadsheet for my own comparison while I was researching DIY screens. I have decided to add additional screens and publicly post it. I hope this overview helps become another form of "index" so data can be found easier. As you probably know, data is scattered all over and very difficult to find when comparing the numerous paint mixtures.

All information was GOOGLED. No forum/source was favored over another. If I missed obvious test data, than good! I'm happy you can help me improve it. Send me corrections/comments.

Why is my favorite _____ mix not on the list?
Again, I started comparing paints for my own personal DIY screen, and I read suggestions and older forums. There is too much information for anyone to compare everything. The spreadsheet started with one and grew. It is still growing...

If you disagree with the data, please takes your gripes over at the relevant hyperlinked thread. I attempted to use data that is "generally" agreed upon and is the best data that is available. If the data was taken with a bad sample, than again, spend your effort getting a good sample re-tested. Bad samples most likely indicate a "quality control" risk where users will have a hard time getting repeative results. This should be factored in, and as such, may be a downside of that mix. Please do not start a war over this (although I know its inevitable). I hope to improve the data and organization of such data, and long flamewars just add more pages for us to shift through.

-----------------

GAIN: Gain data source is hyperlinked in. I'm sure people will have gripes about the particular tests, methods, data, etc, but the point is to show what test data is available on the internet and link to it. Argue your gripes in the relevant data threads. As usual gain is just one aspect of the screen.

MUNSELL GRAY LEVELS: Data taken from threads. References are hyperlinked in. This allows easy comparison to see which screen is darker or lighter than another. Munsell gray levels help to get an approximation of the color of gray (darkness) the screen will be. It is therefore easy to compare that a N8 will be darker than a N9. It should maybe be the first parameter that needs to decided.

COLOR TEMP

RGB: The goal here was to get RGB values that can easily be entered into any computer for a nice comparison of the shades of colors. While your monitor is probably not calibrated and accurate, it gives a nice comparison relative to other screens.

SPRAY/ROLL: This one may not be all that accurate, so don't get hung up on this. I tried to compare whether the majority of users were advising to roll or spray the particular mix. Some mixes were highly advised to spray. Others are more commonly rolled.

NUMBER OF INGREDIENTS: Straight forward. Some mixes require a large number of ingredients and felt that it was equally important to compare how many are needed. I wanted to compare how many stores it would take to gather the ingredients but that turned out to complex when substitutes could be used.

COST: I attempted to compare cost. Some of the more complex mixes as well as special order ingredients were likely to cost more money. The price is likely to be off a little from what you get. I placed how I arrived at the numbers in the comments of each cell. Most are again Google searches from users reports.

SPECTRO: This column is hurting. I know a lot of data has been taken but not much is published and/or organized. It would be nice to see more data here.

Future upgrades: I still would like to reference which stores are needed to buy the paints. Therefore you can find how close those stores are to you and perhaps rule out some that may take 4 hours total to acquire materials :) Again substitutes complicate this.

I hope this helps organize the information out there and give a clear comparison to new confused people. Corrections welcome.

Source Webpage

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Great information!

I see one thing that I have to put on the top priority and that is the laminate color data. The data you listed isn't wrong... just that it's referenced to C and not D65. It causes a slight inaccuracy when comparing the RGB values in a swatch chart like you have.

I'll get the Laminate thread information corrected to D65, and I appologize about that. DW is actually 234 236 236, and FG is 190 190 186. We actually had a spreadsheet showing the RGB, Temp, Munsell, L*ab and other information but it was purged somewhere along the way.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Excellent work! About the only thing I think you could add would be all of the other Silver Fire measures. There have been 4 total and I believe all 4 turned out different from one another. That would be nice to see in that Color Comparison chart! That's one thing that Black Widow doesn't have a problem with and that's reproduction. Folks worldwide can reproduce the results simply and easily. But with Silver Fire, one slip and it's all screwed up - big time screwed up!

Silver Fire - mech (original) 170 172 182 70.9 0.49 -4.76 0.303 0.317 42
Silver Fire - Harpmaker 181 184 187 74.5 -0.3 -1.85 0.308 0.325 47.5
Silver Fire - zductive 185 187 184 75.6 -0.89 0.96 0.313 0.332 49.2

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Excellent work! About the only thing I think you could add would be all of the other Silver Fire measures. There have been 4 total and I believe all 4 turned out different from one another. That would be nice to see in that Color Comparison chart! That's one thing that Black Widow doesn't have a problem with and that's reproduction. Folks worldwide can reproduce the results simply and easily. But with Silver Fire, one slip and it's all screwed up - big time screwed up!

Silver Fire - mech (original) 170 172 182 70.9 0.49 -4.76 0.303 0.317 42
Silver Fire - Harpmaker 181 184 187 74.5 -0.3 -1.85 0.308 0.325 47.5
Silver Fire - zductive 185 187 184 75.6 -0.89 0.96 0.313 0.332 49.2
The two SF samples I have marked in red above are not direct results of the "official" SF mix at that time, but were color-corrected by both Zductive and myself. The color of the "official" SF mix of that day was very blue-green. I didn't know how to properly color-correct at that time and only mangaged to remove some of the greenish cast, much of the blue remained.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts