Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
No problem and keep us posted. Subwoofer builds are always fun to read about. Well at least to me they are. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
No problem and keep us posted. Subwoofer builds are always fun to read about. Well at least to me they are. :bigsmile:
Ive been reading peoples sub builds here for the last 12 months(some serious builds here :unbelievable:), and since ive sold the f112, its about time i started to build my own sub :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I've done a bit more thinking and found that the Tc Sounds LMS 5400(18") works very well in a 2.4cu ft sealed box.

This has made me wonder how well a LMS-R 15 or Axis 15 will work in a small sealed box. I'd go for the LMS 5400 in a 2.4 box, but the drivers are too expensive.
I'm having trouble with Winsid on my computer, so haven't been able to do any modelling.

What are the differences between the LMS-R and the Axis subs?

I'm not worried about my amp compatibility at this stage, because i can look into a more suitable amp while i'm building the sub.

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey matt, I would live a shot at the 5400 but very expensive is not the word, as a single box solution in a small sealed box, ithas no peers. It's very tempting

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
samhain said:
Hey matt, I would live a shot at the 5400 but very expensive is not the word, as a single box solution in a small sealed box, ithas no peers. It's very tempting
I might have to consider it :)

I'll look into shipping costs to Ireland, then work out import duty.

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Matt,

Have you thought about the FI SSD 18's. I have just modelled a dual which would be in a 9 cu ft box but would give much more spl than a single LMS driver and probably cheaper too.

And as you are in Ireland and not the states you could buy them from Blade Ice here in the UK.

Worth thinking about.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
gperkins_1973 said:
Matt,

Have you thought about the FI SSD 18's. I have just modelled a dual which would be in a 9 cu ft box but would give much more spl than a single LMS driver and probably cheaper too.

And as you are in Ireland and not the states you could buy them from Blade Ice here in the UK.

Worth thinking about.

cheers

Graham
Hi Graham

I was looking at the Fi Q15 and exchanged emails with Am.
It would work for me as the biggest enclosure I want is 3 cu ft.

I'm having trouble with Winisd, it keeps coming up errors and crashing, but seems to work sometimes when modelling drives who's data is already in the programme.

I hope to build 2 subs eventually, and want the deepest, cleanest bass possible from a small sealed box.

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
A single Q15 would work in a 2 cu ft box which yields a qtc off 0.658. Spl wise its not a power house by any means but would still be fairly loud. I think if you went with single Q15 subs duals would be a must. Depending on budget you could do a dual SSD 15 sub in a 3 cu ft. Qtc would be around 0.74 but still can be easily EQ'd.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
gperkins_1973 said:
A single Q15 would work in a 2 cu ft box which yields a qtc off 0.658. Spl wise its not a power house by any means but would still be fairly loud. I think if you went with single Q15 subs duals would be a must. Depending on budget you could do a dual SSD 15 sub in a 3 cu ft. Qtc would be around 0.74 but still can be easily EQ'd.
Thanks for the reply.

That sounds like 2 decent options using the Fi drivers. Dual Q15's in 2 cu ft enclosures would be nice and compact too.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
The SSD drivers are £259 each where as the Q's are £369. I would probably go with dual SSD's and save yourself the money. The SSD's model exactly the same as the Q's in 3 cu ft boxes.

Costs:

4 x FI Q15's - £1476

4 x FI SSD15's - £1036

That's a saving off £440. That would buy your amps so have a good hard think before commiting to the Q's.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
gperkins_1973 said:
The SSD drivers are £259 each where as the Q's are £369. I would probably go with dual SSD's and save yourself the money. The SSD's model exactly the same as the Q's in 3 cu ft boxes.

Costs:

4 x FI Q15's - £1476

4 x FI SSD15's - £1036

That's a saving off £440. That would buy your amps so have a good hard think before commiting to the Q's.
Is there any difference in sound quality between the Q and SSD?

I'm looking for the best SQ possible, and to beat a JL Audio f112.

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Its difficult for me to say as I have only owned the original Q's. There are people out there who say the Q's are a million miles away from the LMS driver in terms of SQ. You have to put the cost element in to perspective. You are best off asking Am to be honest.

One thing I have just noticed on the rms power ratings is that the Q's are now 1500 watts rms. Now that could be very interesting.

Let me know what he says.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Is there any difference in sound quality between the Q and SSD?

I'm looking for the best SQ possible, and to beat a JL Audio f112.

Cheers
Matt
To beat the JL Audio you will need a TC driver. There are no other motors I'm aware of better than the W7(which is the JL Audio f112 motor)

The LMSR, AXIS and Ultra motors would all do the job of besting the JL Audio f112. If you want to be sure than just get an Ultra. The LMSR

I did a comparison of all 12s I knew of in winisd. Please note that these are tuned to .7 qtc. You can see the only two that win vs the JL Audio are the LMSR and Axis. Of course a bigger cone will give you better performance.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
What were the drivers you tested ? I can't see the screen shot you put up as its too blurry.
The drivers were tested by Illka in the Subwoofer tests archive of the forum. I don't have the land or money to do ground plane testing.(Ground plan is the standard for testing subwoofers now)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Its difficult for me to say as I have only owned the original Q's. There are people out there who say the Q's are a million miles away from the LMS driver in terms of SQ. You have to put the cost element in to perspective. You are best off asking Am to be honest.

One thing I have just noticed on the rms power ratings is that the Q's are now 1500 watts rms. Now that could be very interesting.

Let me know what he says.
The impression i got from Am was that the SSD's are good drivers, but don't have as much power handling or Xmax as the Q drivers. So i guess it depends on the application, but the Q drivers are marketed as the SQ line of Fi drivers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
To beat the JL Audio you will need a TC driver. There are no other motors I'm aware of better than the W7(which is the JL Audio f112 motor)

The LMSR, AXIS and Ultra motors would all do the job of besting the JL Audio f112. If you want to be sure than just get an Ultra. The LMSR

I did a comparison of all 12s I knew of in winisd. Please note that these are tuned to .7 qtc. You can see the only two that win vs the JL Audio are the LMSR and Axis. Of course a bigger cone will give you better performance.
Thanks for the info :)

Do you happen to know what size box the LMS-R 15 and Axis 15 need to give a .7 qtc?

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
3 cu ft for the LMS-15R. I would get a shipping cost first because to Ireland you are going to be looking at ALOT off money. I looked into getting seaton submersive sub from Mark Seaton shipped to the uk and it was extremely expensive. The Axis is $500 a piece and the LmS-15R is $433.

Times that by two, add UK vat, shipping and taxes. Also bare in mind if you have any issues you will have to ship it (out off your pocket) back to the states.

As good as the TC drivers are and there is no doubting it you have to think sensible here. Blade Ice are in the UK, they take care of all the shipping, any worries you just send it back to them.

Just think about the above before you commit that's all I say.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
3 cu ft for the LMS-15R. I would get a shipping cost first because to Ireland you are going to be looking at ALOT off money. I looked into getting seaton submersive sub from Mark Seaton shipped to the uk and it was extremely expensive. The Axis is $500 a piece and the LmS-15R is $433.

Times that by two, add UK vat, shipping and taxes. Also bare in mind if you have any issues you will have to ship it (out off your pocket) back to the states.

As good as the TC drivers are and there is no doubting it you have to think sensible here. Blade Ice are in the UK, they take care of all the shipping, any worries you just send it back to them.

Just think about the above before you commit that's all I say.

I'm waiting on Parts express to get back to me with a shipping quote on either a LMS-R 15 or Axis 15.

I bough the F112 from America and it cost about $800-900 is shipping and import duty, but still worked out a lot cheaper than the competition bought in the uk.

I think ill probably go with the Fi drivers, but just want to look at the options first.
I've also read that a new BDP driver is going to be released by Fi. I think its supposed to be better than the Q series.

Cheers
Matt

21 - 40 of 74 Posts