Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Ive been chasing for those drivers for ages now but I am now thinking they may never come out. The just seems to been very little progress. There are certainly no updates on them and the website still is not live. Its a shame as FI seem to be qite forward thinking in developing new drivers aswell.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Im in no real rush for the driver. I'll probably buy it in a month or 2, but need to decide what I'm going for so I can buy the wood and start building the enclosure.

Do you know anything about the Fi SP4 driver? It looks like a monster :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's a shame we don't have a TC dealership in Europe since if you want the single best driver the ultra seems to do the job, anything less you might always wish you had got it but at shipping of $900 that's ridiculous and I won't be spending that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I'd really like the LMS 5400. I had sort of talked myself into it, but need to find out the shipping cost to work out the import duty also.

Then i was looking at the cost of the LMS + EQ + a big amp + about 4 sheets of Birch ply to build a layered ply box + a router to make the box, and the Funky waves 18 LMS sub starts to look appealing, but then you have the shipping and duty on that :gulp:

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Can i ask what other high end audio equipment you are running with the sub. The reason i ask is because you need to balance the quality in equipment i.e speakers, amps, processing etc... I see no real need to buy a top end sub if your not running top end speakers and amps to do it justice. You wouldn't buy a pair off speakers for £3000 and then run a £200 amp to run them. It would give us a good idea on the rest of your eqiupment.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I think its supposed to be better performance wise, and weighs less.

I plan to stack curved layers together after cutting out the inside of each piece to form the cabinet. I've seen it done elsewhere, and the finish of the stacked ply passes the girlfriend test :T

I got these by her, so need a nice looking sub :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Can i ask what other high end audio equipment you are running with the sub. The reason i ask is because you need to balance the quality in equipment i.e speakers, amps, processing etc... I see no real need to buy a top end sub if your not running top end speakers and amps to do it justice. You wouldn't buy a pair off speakers for £3000 and then run a £200 amp to run them. It would give us a good idea on the rest of your eqiupment.
Just posted a pic above before i read you post.

They are ATC PA-65's. They are active 3 way's using ATC's mid dome and 15" SL bass driver.

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
gperkins_1973 said:
Impressive speakers Matt. Do you mainly listen to music then.
Thanks

Yes i mainly listen to music. I listen to a bit of everything really, and look for music with deep bass content.

I also have the sky box and DVD player connected to the system. I guess the fact I don't own a Blu-ray player yet shows that my priorities lie in music.

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Is birch ply better than mdf?
Better depends on your building techniques, but in general quality plywood is better for woodworking than MDF. Plywood can be tougher to cut and you will want to make sure for either that you get high quality blades and bits. Freud or Forrest(no sanding needed) for the blade and Whiteside for the router bits.

For loudspeakers it's best to stick to 13-ply stuff. For subwoofers bracing is done for box strength so you can use the scrap plywood to make corner braces and a couple rib braces.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Ply is really expensive in the UK. Atleast twice the price off mdf. Keep us posted about the shipping costs Matt.
I just got a quote of $150 to ship the LMS-R 15, and $200 to ship the LMS 5400 from Parts express

Birch ply seems to be 53euro for 18mm, and 75 euro for 24mm.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Apparently, vendors are only allowed to insure goods at cost price for shipping, so the duty on the Lms 5400 should only be a percentage of cost price + a percentage of shipping cost.

I paid about 220 euro duty on the f112 which was insured at $1200, so I'd guess the duty in the Lms 5400 should be less than that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I finally started my sub build :D

I decided to do an MDF box first, then ill do a stacked ply box eventually.
Ive built the box to suit an LMS5400, but will be trying a friends Kicker s15L7 in the box while i save up.

The box has curved sides and is 25mm thick, with a 50mm baffle.

This is one of the side's, with a few rough bits :doh:

Cheers
Matt

41 - 60 of 74 Posts