Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Looks great so far and $200 to ship that driver isn't bad. I am looking to ship two 21" mach audio FTW's so hopefully won't be much more than that.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Ive gotta put the museum off past empty builds in the skip first before I am allowed to build anything else. Mind you, she doesn't know anything about the 21's yet. LOL.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I am hoping that the 7-8 cu ft boxes will ease the pain over the 15 cu ft boxes she has had to look at for the past year. LOL. If I build them low enough she may not even see them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I guess a 50% reduction in size should be welcomed :bigsmile:

I've a feeling i might be in trouble when she see's my sub box, it looks a bit larger than i thought :rolleyes:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
A bit more progress, but made a mess of the size of the sides. Only visible at the back luckily.

Any suggestions on what to fill the Kerf gaps with?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to reply to an old thread but what driver did you go with MattSPL?

The choice of drivers in the UK doesn't seem to have changed much since you started this thread (Sundown, Ascendant Audio and some Dayton drivers can be had from UK/ Europe now) and my thoughts/ looking at the availble options seem to have followed the same path as you (albeit I've built a pair of 120.9W sealed subs while I still think about something bigger :) ).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Sorry to reply to an old thread but what driver did you go with MattSPL?

The choice of drivers in the UK doesn't seem to have changed much since you started this thread (Sundown, Ascendant Audio and some Dayton drivers can be had from UK/ Europe now) and my thoughts/ looking at the availble options seem to have followed the same path as you (albeit I've built a pair of 120.9W sealed subs while I still think about something bigger :) ).
Unfortunately, i didn't finish the sub build. The box is 75% complete in my shed.
I was out of work when i started the build and ended up selling the amp. When i started back in work, i didn't have the time, so ended up buying a Velodyne DD12 second hand. I'm now wondering if the Velodyne amp would power a decent driver in my DIY box? The velodyne setup software is very handy, so would be nice to have in a potent DIY sub.

I think the Fi drivers seem to be about hte best available in the UK. The Fi Q15 looks decent and seems to be used successfully in DIY subs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Just found this old thread, so thought I’d update it as I eventually finished the box and bought a UM18 driver and also just got a second UM18 but cheated on the box and used a 125L plant pot made of a mixture of fibreglass, magnesium and plaster.
I will be building 2 new Baltic birch boxes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Here’s the second sub. I lined the fibreglass box with deadening mat used in car audio installs. Works really well as a sub box for a very quick build.

Attachments

61 - 74 of 74 Posts