Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Best saw guide system I have used:

http://eurekazone.com/products/detail/sgs.html

I have the 114" system. Not cheap when compared to the simple straightedges, but really cheap when compared to the Dewalt, Makita, or Festool tracksaws, which is a more accurate comparison.

I can split a 0.5 mm pencil mark every time, though I do have to put them in the right places. I cut all of my sheet goods with this system (and I have a very nice tablesaw)

No affiliation other than being a very happy customer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As broad-based tools for an earnest diyer, making enclosure will concern with a lot of things: design tools, woodworking tools...... And I think, some accoustics measurement tools are needed also, use them to tune the enclosure.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is something I cobbled to gether for smallish to to large circle cutting. The wooden pieces are 1/2 and 3/4 sheet stock glued together. The top (3/4" piece) has a 1/4" slot centered lengthwise which accepts the double locking knobs. The flip side has a slot centered to accept the flat bar stock.

I through drilled and tapped 4 four 1/4-20 holes in the bar stock. The threaded holes can accept either a 1/4" pivot pin form the bottom or the two locking knobs from the top. The nice thing is that you can move the pivot pin to any hole in the bar allowing one to cut holes from about 3" to to over 60 inches. I also drilled and installed t-nuts on the end of the jig to accept an extension for cutting any size arc. Really works great.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
A good saw, Circular with a straight edge or better yet a fine tuned tablesaw.
Router with good variety of bits (i prefer freud) also a circle jig.
2 cordless drills
clamps, clamps and more clamps
Did i mention clamps?

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
I don't think you mentioned clamps. Do I need more clamps? :D

I have about 30, and sometimes it still doesn't seem like enough (I always need one a little bit longer or smaller than what's left on the rack) :doh:

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I don't think you mentioned clamps. Do I need more clamps? :D

I have about 30, and sometimes it still doesn't seem like enough (I always need one a little bit longer or smaller than what's left on the rack) :doh:
Oh i allmost forgot you need lots and lots and lots of clamps.:rofl2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
tshifrin said:
So what do y'all use to draw/lay out large circles? I can't seem to find a compass larger than a 12" circle.

Tom
One way is to place a nail in the center of the circle and tie a 6" wire to the nail and a pencil.

·
2,216 Posts
I do wire/string for drawing large circles.

Rockler.com (and others) sell larger trammel arms for bigger circle routing, but you can easily make your own with a scrap of plywood. Drill for a pivot on one end and use your router base to co-drill the mounting holes on the other. You can make any size you want, it just usually isn't adjustable (at least not with some work at it).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Titebond III Ultimate Wood Glue is the bomb! WAY stronger than the wood you are gluing. Well... once you have collected all the clamps from every garage sale in town you need something for the clamps to hold, right? :R

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too endorse Titebond 3 for virtually all wood bonding unless gapfilling is an issue, then Gorilla-type polyurethane is called for. As an old car audio guy I recommend hole saws for mids and tweets...but I already have dozens of 'em. Dust collection!

·
Registered
30 Posts
My carpenter grade table saw. Out of everything mentioned this is the one thing I would miss the most. I would not even attemp anything using a hand circular saw. They are good for builing decks and framing but not for cabinetry. Did anyone mention a Dado blade?

·
2,216 Posts
I have an Infinity Dadonator set and love it. 6 tooth chippers and a nice full set of shims (and a cheat sheet to dial you in). Glass smooth dadoes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So what do y'all use to draw/lay out large circles? I can't seem to find a compass larger than a 12" circle.

Tom
Go to Lee Valley Tools and buy some trammel points. With some planed hardwood and these points you can make a compass of any size needed.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I bought the Makita 3901 biscuit jointer, the only available brand and type available in Jakarta. A bit expensive but worth every cent of it, makes perfect joints so easily, anytime.
I built the Troels Gravesen DTQWT huge cabinet using this biscuit joiner, precision is very good and also very strong. Highly recommended!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Clamps. Lots and lots of clamps. I started with pipe clamps and they've served me well.

A couple of years ago I stumbled across a great deal on Jet parallel clamps. I'm patiently waiting for another sale. I want more! A clamp rack is a "must have" too.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Another DIY circle cutter ploy:
Been using them for years, have three set up, they all work about the same - easy/fast.
The bosch is a nice router for speaker projects, the micro depth adjustment is super.

The inboard handle may need to be removed now and then; added a extra 3/8" hole in plastic handle (side) to access the bolt.

Bosch.jpg

21 - 40 of 40 Posts