Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Re: DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Enclosure Tools

I just got one of these, Why did I wait so long? quick straight cuts. heaps quicker than using a circular saw and straight edge.

69_t.jpg

It will also do angles, bevels and cutout notches, etc etc.

·
Registered
343 Posts

drf - a table saw adapter for a circ. saw?
I was considering a DIY unit, but if one is available then why not?

any links?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

Its by a company called triton, I don't know if they sell in the USA but I am sure there is an equivalent.

Triton has a good name in aus. for there accuracy and quality. they are the top of the range for handy men and diy. Even some buisnesses use their gear.

www.triton.com.au

·
Registered
116 Posts

Is there a good "beginner" router one would suggest over all the others? I'm not a stranger to power tools but frankly haven't ever had to work with a router so I don't know what to expect. I may just keep my eyes open at the pawn shops, yard sales, and what not...I'm not in any major hurry to buy a router but I'd like to start gathering tools up so I can build me a sonotube or something else perhaps.

I have a roto zip...will they work with your typical circle jig?

·
Registered
393 Posts

Roto-zip tools are definitely not heavy duty enough for big holes in MDF.

You want a plunge router, some come with plunge and fixed bases, and you can just swap depending on the job you're doing.

More horsepower is better.

If you see one in a pawn shop, google some reviews before buying.

·
Registered
25 Posts

If you do not have the space or money for a full table saw a good alternative is a circular saw and a clamp guide like this one on Rockler's site

"All-In-One Clamp Guides" (type that in in rocklers website, I can't link it)

·
Registered
95 Posts

I'll throw another vote out there for the WT2, and add that you can pick up the Tenma-branded equivalent at MCM electronics. MCM has a code (EMC146) for 10% off and free shipping over $100 this weekend too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Re: DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Project Tools

Best saw guide system I have used:

http://eurekazone.com/products/detail/sgs.html

I have the 114" system. Not cheap when compared to the simple straightedges, but really cheap when compared to the Dewalt, Makita, or Festool tracksaws, which is a more accurate comparison.

I can split a 0.5 mm pencil mark every time, though I do have to put them in the right places. I cut all of my sheet goods with this system (and I have a very nice tablesaw)

No affiliation other than being a very happy customer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Project Tools

My favorite and, IMO, the most versatile tool I own is my router. I see that lots of routers have been posted, so I can see I am not alone.
I have owned many brands of routers, and most of them have served me well.
But my Hitachi KM12VC combo fixed/plunge is the one I use the most. I have always been a purist. But this hitachi has the best balance to weight to power ratio I have found.
I also believe router bits are a place you shouldn't skimp.
Get the best quality for your budget at least in the most frequently used sizes and shapes in speaker/cab making.
Second up... I just couldn't live without my 17" Grizzly band saw. I have a 3 1/2" slab of dark walnut I will be cutting in to veneers leaving enough for 1" baffles on my R/c/L speaker project. I am also considering a curved cabinet design. In witch case the band saw will be my workhorse.:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
As broad-based tools for an earnest diyer, making enclosure will concern with a lot of things: design tools, woodworking tools...... And I think, some accoustics measurement tools are needed also, use them to tune the enclosure.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
You can buy a round over bit for your router. If you don't have a router you can rent one if you don't want to buy one.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Oscillating Spindle Sander:

·
Registered
25 Posts

This is the router I ordered based on recommendations here at the Shack...

Bosch 1617EVSPK 2.25 Horsepower Electronic Variable Speed Plunge and Fixed Base Router Kit

Price: $179.00 shipped from COP Bosch (Reconditioned)

Beautiful router!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't have a picture of it but i made a birch plywood jig to guide. 3 foot by 4 foot and 5 foot Diag. I can then trim plywood sheets square before using the table saw or anything else. Sheet goods a typically not square. MDF is better than plywood but not spot on.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts