Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello HTS PPL,

I have finally figured how to start a new Thread and I'm looking for some help with Sub woofer box design for home use, am interested in Deep Punchy Bass !!!.:R

2 x Drivers - Cadence Ultradrive Z12W-4 kinda obsolete but found em for a bargain, real cheap in my town. about 40$ a piece, brand new n unused. Wonder why someone was stacking these all this time.

Anyway TS Parameters given in the manual that came in Box, cant find anything on this Cadence on the internet.

OHM - 4
FS - 32hz
VAS - 3.43
QES - 0.56
QMS - 7.33
QTS - 0.522
RE- 3.6
Xmax - 9.906MM
VC - 2 Inch
RMS - 250
SPL - 92

Help Help Help !!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lovely and thanks for helping me Mike. :)

One question though. What will be the response curve like if enclosure is 3.3 cu ft, with 4.2 Inch port having effective port length of 6.5 inches.

A friend of mine have these well built extremely heavy n rock solid MDF boxes with baffles and all for front firing 10 inch sub. Since its front side is 16 inches Wide x 28 inches Tall, there is room to fit 12inch cadence in it. If with port tuning and poly fill one could achieve similar curve as in 4 cu ft, it will save me from building fresh boxes.

Possible? or i need to sharpen my electric saw n get down to business? 4 cu ft.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have read elsewhere that one pound polyfill per cu ft has the effect of roughly 25% increase in enclosure volume.

Did some maths n found polyfill sheets (basically meant for quilts) having following specs. 1 yard x 1 yard polyfill sheet = 105gms. So 10 Yards is equal to 1.5 kgs. Converted 1.5Kgs to Pounds I get 3.3 Pounds exact to achieve 1 Pound per cu ft. and 25% gain on box size on 3.3 cu ft is equal to 4.125 cu ft. hmmmm.. Should work !

Please also email me winisd wdr file to [email protected] . Ive tried several times but couldn't get TS data input right.

Thanks again mate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Alright so here are pictures of my Sub Enclosures it is 3.3 Cu Ft instead of required 4.0 Cu Ft. Will use Polyfill sheets (for quilts) having specification of 1 yard x 1 yard = 105 gms. Bought 20 yards, 10 yards each per box.

It is heavy MDF Box using 0.6 inch MDF sheets and constructed with Screws and Epoxy Resin Glue, used quite sparingly showing spill inside. The box was made for 10 inch sub so i increased the size of driver hole to 11 inch to house the Cadence 12 inch sub. Port diameter was 2.5 inches which will be increased to 4 inches. Pictures have been shot using cell phone camera, sorry the quality is quite ordinary. The finish of the box in real is at least 100 times better and looks awesome.

Used electric wood leveller on box to ensure all sides, edges are perfect 90 degrees angle. Pictures have wood leveller and 90 degree angle to check.

Got wood grain formica, cut it to size a little bigger than required. It will be pasted then excess will be shaved off edges and some formica filling.

Used Cementex Glue to paste Formica on MDF, One Side done in the picture.

All sides done in picture below. Notice the box had polyester carpeting inside, which i will remove later and use 10 yards Polyfill 1.5 Kgs or 3.3 Lbs to achieve 1 Lb per Cu Ft polyfill. It is pre finished still, edges need to be shaved.

Removed carpet, inner view of Enclosure showing lower baffle just above the port.

Inner view of enclosure half baffle which is right on top of the sub woofer. These boxes have 2 baffles one below the sub woofer and one exactly on top.

10 Yards Polyfill Sheet. at 105 Gms per yard folded 4 times.

Polyfill in the upper section of box. Used flat tip nails to hold it in place.

Polyfill in the lower section of the box. Notice clearance between 8 inch x 4 inch dia port. Again used nails to ensure polyfill does not obstruct the vent.

Rear View of the driver. Cadence Z12W-4

Side View driver.

Here is the finished product. made two of these front firing subwoofer enclosures. To cover the huge 4 inch vents, used spare 6 inch speaker grills. :)

Side View.

Special Thanks to Mike, I still couldnt figure how to use WINISD .. lols. so besides polyfill at 1 pound per cu ft to increase box volume from 3.3 to 4.125 cu ft (empty without driver) say 25%. I have stuck to recommended port dia and length. n boy it sounds good.. i mean really good. It is able to produce quite a bit of lows and deep deep punch. Ran the driver without poly fill i-e at 3.3 cu ft, lows were not that great and too much air speed through the vents cuz it was previously 2.5 inches x 4 inches. After polyfill n increase in vent diameter to 4 inches there is lesser air pumping out of the vent, clean clean BASS. :D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts