Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe a dumb question, but here it goes. I am great with electronics, but terrible with woodworking. Does anyone take plans to a local woodworker/cabinet maker and have them build the enclosure. Would that be pretty expensive, thus negating the cost savings of DIY?

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
That's when you hit up a friend to help build:heehee: Seriously though, you could consider taking your plans and have someone make the cuts, then assemble it yourself. You could then either finish it yourself, or even have someone do that step-you have more options than doing it all from scratch.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the ideas. I am definitely intrigued. I think before I ask any more questions, I am going to do some more reading through these threads. I am obsessive in my research of all things audio, but have not even dipped my toe into DIY subs. Any links on where to start. I am very adept in subwoofers, just not the DIY variety.

Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
452 Posts
Building a solid box is not particularly difficult for most folks. A lot of people are like me and can make it solid but can't make it look good.

To get around that problem I found trunks with lots of WAF (Got the missus to help pick them out. I chose the size and she chose the aesthetics), and built ugly but solid MDF boxes that fit snugly inside the trunks. I glued the beejesus out of everything so the poorly made trunks wouldn't rattle.

Don't be afraid to look at clearance sections of furniture stores, "Home Goods" stores, Bealls, TJ Maxx, and the like. If this interests you, I posted some info here about a build I did a few years back.

Most of all, have fun.

Paul

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you can cobble together a solid box, you would likely be able to cover it with some adhesive backed wood veneer and it would turn out pretty decent. I would put an ad on CL and see what you come up with.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
You can often get a local car stereo or cabinet shop to cut and assemble the enclosure for you. The pricing sort of depends. Sonotubes are really easy too. For a finish that is really easy you can use the truck bedliner finish. The roll on kind is best and can be done on one large enclosure for about $50. You can also take it to a professional place to have it done for probably $100. It's a rough textured but tough black coating.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts