Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Here is a new new subwoofer build this weekend with a with a good friend.

I designed it on Bass Box Pro over the last couple of weeks and we decided to build it.

It contains a Hybrid Audio Technology 10 which is so rare as this is one of only 2 of these 10 inch subwoofer drivers in the world as they were a custom built to required specs the by Eminance for test purposes (hence why it looks very like a LAB12).

The enslosure has 10 inch 2 Coral (very similar to Peerless but different specs) passive radaitors which give the 4 x VD required.

The inner box is 18mm MDF with a 12mm box outside for extra strength and so we could recess the drivers, plate amp and round the edges.

It is powered from a BKElec BSBPV300 plate amp.

The wood was first cut by B&Q and then we trimed it to correct size using a custom router table and jigsaw.

We added a cross brace and also some very good 4mm sound deadening on all panels to ensure no panels could resonate in a similar fashion.

All screwholes were filled in using automotive body filler and tided with a rasp. The whole enclosuere was sanded even using a finishing sander and hand block.

The enclosure is wraped in black vinyl and the graphite sides are a coloured plastic.

We only had a few mins to listen but it sounded very smooth, I hope to get back over there so we can tweek/RTA it.

I amied for 20hz tune but if is not that (due to inaccurate specs) then we can add some mass to the PR's if required.

Here is a range of pictures from the build. I think it looks great, it needs a few bits tiding up but all in all is very nice.

Enjoy.

This is me larking about.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice build Mic, especially the final finish & simple bracing. Can't wait to see response graphs :)

In the past I've seen at least 3 of your builds, you must have a lot of DIY subs around you.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah, looking good mate. I love that vinyl wrap. Have you had any time to properly put it through its paces yet?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice. I like the feet. Care to elaborate on them?
We were going to build round columns and then wrap them in the plastic or vinyl but we had to go to B&Q/Homebase for suppies and we found those brushed nickel feet and they were perfect.

Nice build Mic, especially the final finish & simple bracing. Can't wait to see response graphs :)

In the past I've seen at least 3 of your builds, you must have a lot of DIY subs around you.
Thanks! I have been dabbling in build your own Kits / DIY for aound 7 years. I do have a lot of subwoofers about. I have a couple I use day to day (one on hometheater and once for my PC set-up.) I currently have a few others unfinished / unpowered subs sitting about collecting dust.

I also have four Fi CarAudio SSD12's sitting doing nothing and my mind keeps saying build a super sub.

Yeah, looking good mate. I love that vinyl wrap. Have you had any time to properly put it through its paces yet?
The sub is 92 miles away at a friends house (we built it for him). I hope to get some more testing done when I have some free time.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Lovin the vinyl still, Ive spent the last week trying to source some locally to get a price, but Ive not had any luck yet despite the area where I live being very good for this kind of thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts