14,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Member electronbee sent me a sample of this paint to measure. Here's the data:

RGB 238 238 226
xyY 0.320 0.341 84.8
CIE Lab 93.8 -2.15 5.85
Color Temp 6067.4

Spectrum Chart

There does appear to be some sort of reflective material in the mix. I'll get a magnification up shortly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Augh! Well... at least people know. I have also had some splotch/hatting problems with this paint which has results in bright and dark spots. You can do a light sand with 400 grit sand paper to even them out but as its paint you can only sand so much.

I'm actually looking for a DIY solution to repaint my wall.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Augh! Well... at least people know. I have also had some splotch/hatting problems with this paint which has results in bright and dark spots. You can do a light sand with 400 grit sand paper to even them out but as its paint you can only sand so much.

I'm actually looking for a DIY solution to repaint my wall.
C&S Ultra™.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I found the Black Widow thread before the C&S Ultra thread and already ordered the aluminum from BLICK! They processed and shipped the order faster than I could cancel it... so, I'll go with that paint first. There are a lot of threads on both but I have not seen one comparing them side-by-side.

At least, I will be spending a fraction of what I did on this previous paint.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I found the Black Widow thread before the C&S Ultra thread and already ordered the aluminum from BLICK! They processed and shipped the order faster than I could cancel it... so, I'll go with that paint first. There are a lot of threads on both but I have not seen one comparing them side-by-side.

At least, I will be spending a fraction of what I did on this previous paint.
There really is no point of comparing C&S™ Ultra (the original C&S™ can't be made anymore due to the reformulation of the metallic silver paint used) and BW™. C&S™ Ultra is only slightly darker than a true white screen and is NOT an ambient light mix, which BW™ is.

If you want to see a side-by-side comparison of the old C&S™ and BW™ using a 100 IRE white image and a color bar image see the first post of this thread. I only put up the BW™ panels to hide the wall behind them. :heehee:

When you compare a white and a gray screen side-by-side the white screen/panel will always have the brighter image and the gray screen/panel will have better contrast and richer colors unless the HT is a literal bat cave and the PJ has phenomenal black levels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts