Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a vacation! I went to see 'Horton Hears a Who' today with the family. And all I could do was look at the screen and critique it. I thought the color was off and there was a bit of graininess to it! lol!

mech

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Doesn't everyone in DIY HT do this!!:bigsmile:
I don't go to the Cinema any more, but when I did I couldn't tell you how good or bad the film was because I was concentrating on the sound and image quality...or lack of it!!

G

·
The theater by me has absolutely fantastic digital dlp projectors. Which is a crying shame, really, because the PQ, not to mention the great sound, is better than what I'm rocking at home, except for when the movie is shown in the theater where some jerk decided to throw his coke at the screen and ruin the bottom left corner of the image.

However, it's impossible for me to go see movies in theaters that still employ analog projectors. I get far too wrapped up in the graininess of the image- much to the chagrin of my guest!

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it was the old analog pj. It wasn't dlp anyways with the way it looked. Originally we went to the theater that is both comfortable and has excellent sound/video. But we were too early. We were going by the weekend times and it was Monday. So we had to settle for the other theater that was close and had earlier show times.

mech

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a minor in film. My wife threatened to quit going to the movies with me. She got tired of: "Did you see that boom mike shadow?" "What bad continuity!" "What a jarring jump cut!" "Boy that's poor color timing!"

I agreed to keep my critiques to myself.

Doug

G

·
why go to the theatre??? you cant pause it to get a beer or toilet break, theres always someone eating chips and you cant turn the sound up. let alone hit rewind at the good bits

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Not to mention the last time just my wife and I went to the movies it cost up around $40 just for the two of us. That's a couple high def DVDs or several SDVDs!

G

·
I know what you mean. Even IMAX has lost some of its allure...

The last time I went to my local IMAX theater, I couldn't help but notice the hotspotting in the projected image.

Mike

·
Registered
351 Posts
Two Things I Heard Recently

We were watching "Deserving Design" on HGTV the other night. They chose a blended family with 6 kids. Mom and Dad brought 3 each from their previous marriage. Both are sheriff's deputies. The show gave them a new entertainment center. The parents remarked that for the whole family to go to the movies, it costs over $200!

I also read recently that 720p is equal to or better than the 35mm projected image at the typical theatre.

We live in the sticks. The theatre is a "fer piece". My mailbox is 1/8 mile from the front door, but that puts Netflix much closer than the theater!

Doug

G

·
I know what you mean. Even IMAX has lost some of its allure...

The last time I went to my local IMAX theater, I couldn't help but notice the hotspotting in the projected image.

Mike
Thats probably because they use at least a 3.5 gain screen, depending on the size.

My sources inside say that they have stopped making 70mm projectors and are switching over to 100% digital now... should be interesting.

When I worked there (7yrs ago) I worked on a special project developing the first proof of concept for IMAX Digital, I'll bet no one else here has seen dlp projected 80' wide! :bigsmile:

D

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I worked there (7yrs ago) I worked on a special project developing the first proof of concept for IMAX Digital, I'll bet no one else here has seen dlp projected 80' wide! :bigsmile:

D
No, but I want one!! :bigsmile: :jiggy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts