Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for some direction in a screen choice.

I'll start by saying I currently have a jvc rs40, I'm shooting a 98" diagonal on a Black Widow DIY.

It's a decent solution, and the screen it self is fantastic in terms of the smoothness, hotspoting (none). But I'm finding I flat out need more ambient light rejection. I'm putting this in a living room. With a big giant window on an adjacent wall. With drapes closed (non black out) it diffuses the light a decent amount and puts me into a position where it's watchable for every day stuff but I'd never put one movie or major series in this environment.

With the lights off it does pretty good. Infact everything is great except I know I can get these blacks much blacker. All my walls are white, and the more bright I get the screen the more it slowly washes out. This usually isn't so bad as usually a bright scene doesn't have much blacks and heavy dark scenes dim the walls anyways. But I want it to get better. I feel like I got this awesome pj, and I do it no justice in this environment.

And before anyone brings it up. I rent... I have no control over paint, and black out blind just aren't an option I care fore because I don't want to be blacked out in the middle of the day, and I'll accept the slight loss in image.

My main concern in getting a screen that can bring me to more acceptable levels in the day and bring me to wow levels at night. The biggest concern being major wall reflection. The room lights up like a Xmas tree.

I'll also say something on my mind is image brightness. The black widow at 0.8 gain is barely cutting it with the amount of wall reflection wash out I have. I run it on high mode at night, wi the iris a couple notches open. I have no doubt in a bat cave it would probably sear my eyeballs off but ATM this isn't the case, and I like a very powerful image I'm finding. I also have concerns for future 3d

Main consideration on the list.
Dnp 23-23
Dnp 08-85
Biggest worry with dnp, I'm reading that horizontal light performance is sub par and most light rejection is a vertical nature. Sounds great for ceiling lights but I have non, my biggest contenders are all direction wall reflections and a window that will direct light horizontally.
If I did go this route I'd want 23-23 for the gain but I worry it won't be as dark as the 08-85. Also worry about the sparkly effect.

Black diamond. Everything I've been hearing points me to the fact the dnp is just better. So much talk of heavier hot spotting, major graininess, ect.
The thing that makes me consider is that it's reported as opposed to dnp having superior verticle rejection, BD has better horizontal.

Another option I'm curious in but can't find anything is the Mocom mega brilliance screen.

Appreciate any feedback and thoughts, as well as other screens in this category I'm not aware of.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Never heard of the Mocom. :huh: If I were to pick between a Supernova and a Black Diamond, the choice would be easy - Supernova.

Have you looked into a Da-Lite High Power at all? That may be something that would fit your situation. You could call Da-Lite and have them send you a sample of the material to see if it would work. Just tell them you want a larger sample.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may look at that.

Problem is the pj has to be center on screen correct? Kinda difficult in my situation. Mines currently shelf mounted. 13.5 feet throw, 1.5 zoom I think, lens height just below top of screen and off entered about 70% to one side.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I may look at that.

Problem is the pj has to be center on screen correct? Kinda difficult in my situation. Mines currently shelf mounted. 13.5 feet throw, 1.5 zoom I think, lens height just below top of screen and off entered about 70% to one side.
Yep that's a problem for the HP. Skip that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does dnp help reduce screen reflections by a significant amount?

something ive been re evaluating a bit is that while it may help alot in in the day, my blackest blacks will only get as black as my screen looks in the dark. Right now thats a problem because screen reflections light up my room so much.

Ive read dnp and black diamond help somewhat with this, but ive never sceen a good answer as to how well it cuts down on it. It may still be worth it if it drastically cuts down reflections.

If not i may just be stuck until i can room treat :/

I appreciate the help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.